Motorcycle "freedom fighters" block Bangkok road over police complaints

webfact

9 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Land Traffic Act, B.E. 2522 (1979)

Section 35 

The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, motorcycle, vehicle of low speed or traveling at lower speed than those of other vehicles moving in the same direction, shall keep to the curbside of the roadway as close as possible.

If such a roadway is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction or has a bus lane specifically arranged on the left-hand side, the driver shall drive the vehicle in the outermost left-hand side lane or close to the bus lane, as the case may be.

But NOBODY does it and the police does nothing at all to stop them doing so. Except motocycles they dare to stop them, they want them to kill themselves on parked cars or motocytaxi's who drive against traffic.

Many ladies just drive 50 on a main road on the middle or right hand lane.

3 hours ago, bsdthai said:

You obviously dont ride a bike in bkk. Ever been forced to sit behind a diesel bus thats in desperate need of a set of piston rings because unlike everyone else your not allowed to take the overpass? You can be forced to sit there as much as you like but ill take the over pass. One day i had to pull off the side of the road as i started to feel light headed and had a severe headache because of this exact situation and i always wore masks and held my breath when needed. This is a serious health risk that everyone seems to keep overlooking.

The police are way out of line a lot of the time. This is extortion of the public. They should protest the abuse because they have no other options. When i lived in bkk my wife would be on the phone making formal conplaints a couple of times a week, checking laws and so on regularly but all a waste. Still police do as they wish. Grabbing your hands and holding front breaks on, jumping on the back of your bike and things like this and then making up ridiculous claims of something you never did like being in the right lane which is actually the left with the far left a left turning lane. Doesnt take a genius to see these pricks need a taste of there own medicine if they wish to continue acting in this way. I think most people could careless as they sit in there fancy cars. Most bkk bikers are the life line of bkk. Hard workers, couriers, people just making an honest living. For me to get from home in to china town which was just 12km would take 3hours and just minutes on a bike. theres a lot to concider in this argument but the bikers have real problems with the bib its true. 

For all the laws that are broken that fines should be paid there is also a double standard. Check polices bikes, exhausts, removed mirrors, police never buckling helmets, never using blinkers, parking in no parking zones, riding on the right, etc, etc. By law they have to abide by it unless in an emergency situation so they all break the law if you actually watch. If they set an example and did the right thing people would be ok paying fines. These stupid pricks are just filling there pockets.

There is a scenario i forgot about but thought i should mention. I was pulled over and wouldnt hand over my license easily because i didnt do anything wrong. I was yelled at, yada, yada i was let go but warned i would be in trouble.I thought it was just scare tactics. A week later i got a fine in the mail for riding through a redlight of an intersection i had never been to. Turns out the name of the officer was the guy that warned me. My wife got on the phone and blasted this idiot and it was scraped but this is the mentality of these idiots. They have way overstepped the line.

Im with the bikers!

See post 25. 

12 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Then get the law changed.

Until then break it by all means but don't whine about it when caught. 

Perhaps this protest is part of the process that gets the law changed... 'Whining about it' is one legitimate path to get it changed. They get caught, they pay the fines and then they protest. What on earth is wrong with that? The law is loosely applied to suit the needs of the enforcers - don't tell me you don't know that... In heavy traffic, no bike is busted for lane-splitting (which is legal). There is no consistency to the application or the logic of the law, and given the cops use it to line their pockets and the law is designed to allow that and to increase danger for riders, it should be changed. The only way to force that is to protest...

They've paid the tax, they get their representation. 

Great idea. Increase the number of cars by just 5% of the number of bikes and see what happens to your travel times... Cagers should be supportive of riders - they are the ones who keep Bangkok moving by not taking a cage everywhere they go.

4 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Ban the scooters and bikes, they are death traps anyway.

26 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

Perhaps this protest is part of the process that gets the law changed... 'Whining about it' is one legitimate path to get it changed. They get caught, they pay the fines and then they protest. What on earth is wrong with that? The law is loosely applied to suit the needs of the enforcers - don't tell me you don't know that... In heavy traffic, no bike is busted for lane-splitting (which is legal). There is no consistency to the application or the logic of the law, and given the cops use it to line their pockets and the law is designed to allow that and to increase danger for riders, it should be changed. The only way to force that is to protest...

They've paid the tax, they get their representation. 

If they don't like the law then get it changed. I agree but the whining about getting fined when  caught, it's pathetic. 

20 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

So they are upset about being fined for breaking the law?

Double the fines and enforce with more vigour I say.

We did something similar in Norway a few years ago, government Infort boom money on highways, so we collected about 3,000 motorcycles from several cities and drove to the first bomsrtasjonen in Norway for Friday when traffic is heavy. So ran a motrosykkel forward and pay, stopped the bike and took off his leathers for and collect money, then paid him and with dresse again and ran, then came the next guy there were queues at several mil in both run rettningen.Mandagen after so word came from government motorcycles running freely between boom station. And almost the same thing happened in my home city municipality would begin charging for parking of motorcycles, so one Saturday we gathered over 1,000 motorcycles and drove early into town and took all the parking lots and paid, but no cars did park call space, Monday came and municipality were out in the papers and said att motorcycles should not pay and there will be created its own parking spaces, so it helps and STAND together.

20 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

So they are upset about being fined for breaking the law?

Double the fines and enforce with more vigour I say.

We did something similar in Norway a few years ago, government Infort boom money on highways, so we collected about 3,000 motorcycles from several cities and drove to the first bomsrtasjonen in Norway for Friday when traffic is heavy. So ran a motrosykkel forward and pay, stopped the bike and took off his leathers for and collect money, then paid him and with dresse again and ran, then came the next guy there were queues at several mil in both run rettningen.Mandagen after so word came from government motorcycles running freely between boom station. And almost the same thing happened in my home city municipality would begin charging for parking of motorcycles, so one Saturday we gathered over 1,000 motorcycles and drove early into town and took all the parking lots and paid, but no cars did park call space, Monday came and municipality were out in the papers and said att motorcycles should not pay and there will be created its own parking spaces, so it helps and STAND together.

We did something similar in Norway a few years ago, government introduced boom money on highways, so we collected about 3,000 motorcycles from several cities and drive to the first tollbooth in Norway for Friday when traffic is very heavy. So ran a motorbike forward and pay, stopped the bike and took off his leathers for and collect money, then paid and take on the dresse again and driv. Then came the next guy/or Women there were many many several mil in both run directions .Monday after the word came from government motorcycles running freely between boom station. And almost the same thing happened in my home city municipality would begin charging for parking of motorcycles, so one Saturday we gathered over 1,000 motorcycles and drove early into town and took all the parking lots and paid, but no cars can not park in the town, And all shops lost money that day. Monday came and municipality were out in the News papers and said that motorcycles should not pay and there will be created its own parking spaces fore Motorbike, so it helps and STAND together friends.

1 minute ago, nasa123 said:

We did something similar in Norway a few years ago, government introduced boom money on highways, so we collected about 3,000 motorcycles from several cities and drive to the first tollbooth in Norway for Friday when traffic is very heavy. So ran a motorbike forward and pay, stopped the bike and took off his leathers for and collect money, then paid and take on the dresse again and driv. Then came the next guy/or Women there were many many several mil in both run directions .Monday after the word came from government motorcycles running freely between boom station. And almost the same thing happened in my home city municipality would begin charging for parking of motorcycles, so one Saturday we gathered over 1,000 motorcycles and drove early into town and took all the parking lots and paid, but no cars can not park in the town, And all shops lost money that day. Monday came and municipality were out in the News papers and said that motorcycles should not pay and there will be created its own parking spaces fore Motorbike, so it helps and STAND together friends.

Yes, but you exploited the law and forced a rethink about it.

You paid the fines/fees and didn't whinge like a £$%&@ about it, bleating about rude talk and respect.

Kudos for that.

Simple fact is that we all know it happens so we either put up with it or we find another mode of transport. I drive a 650cc bike in BKK and sometimes it's impossible to ride only in the left lane. Basically i see these 'fines' as a bizarre kind of road tax. I know that if i drive in a lane other than the left, i run the risk of a fine. Happened on Sukhumvit Road last week. I was in the middle lane, saw a checkpoint and didn't get over to the left before a BiB spotted me - fined - 400B. Deal with it, move on. It's part and parcel of living in Bangkok and riding a bike.

Completely agree that the BiB could work on their bedside manner, a lot, but if you were hated by 99% of the population you'd probably be equally as miserable. Yep, works both ways, be nice to us and we'll be nice to you, but it's not like that, it's not a perfect world.

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 1:01 PM, webfact said:

Many motorcylists prefer the right lane due to the inherent dangers of keeping to the left.

Those must be the few who don't plump for the central, left and right hand lanes of the bloody pavement! An ongoing inherent danger to pedestrians which the BiB blatantly ignore! Must be a result of all that incestuous love going around.