PCX 150 CVT Shudder

Shadesofblue

I have a late model, low mileage PCX 150 that recently developed a significant and very uncomfortable shudder momentarily, when moving off from stationary position. A Honda mechanic determined it was the drive plates attached to the front drive spindle that was the problem. A groove had worn low down on the face of each opposing plate and the rubber drive band was flicking as it moved over the plates. I replaced the face plates and the problem was solved. Now 2 months later the problem seems to be returning. I haven't checked the plates yet but can't imagine they are damaged/worn already unless something else is causing a problem (e.g. misalignment). I don't ride this bike aggressively at all, if anything I tend to nurse it. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems? I have ridden older PCX's that are still quite smooth to ride.

20161001_153029.jpg

20161001_153036.jpg

20161001_153041.jpg

Edited by Shadesofblue
Additional photo

I have a 1st gen pcx150 14k km's and never had any problems you describe, well it can shudder a bit sometimes from standstill and then I do as below. 

I read somewhere that if you nurse it all the time, this can happen.

Try when the engine is warmed properly up, gun it sometimes when taking off a red light.

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2665

My PCX150 has 37k on it and it hasn't done that shudder thing for a long while.  It stopped after the drive belt was replaced at 24k with a genuine Honda belt so I assumed the original belt was well worn by 24k of Pattaya riding! 

• 1 year later...

I have a 2017 Honda PCX 150 with only 750 km.  I usually only drive in downtown traffic for short errands to MBK or Pantip.   Only in the last month have I noticed a shudder when advancing from a slow speed in traffic. I thought it was more of a throttle sputter, but have seen the forum threads all indicating a clutch and/or pully belt problem.  I took it to the Honda Shop for the first Oil Change and Check Up on Monday and the mechanic said there wasn't any problem (Not being good enough in Thai, rather than argue it, I just left and am looking for a solid Honda Dealer Maintenance with English (Yes, I know that's a lot to ask.).  I''m near the Emporium, but distance within 30-45 min no problem.  Any similar experience?   Thanks in advance.  Pat "Moon" Mullen

I can't suggest anything but I have this same issue on a 6 year old Suzuki Hayate, same shuddering and stuttering when pulling off from stationary when cold, when warm it goes away.

They also changed both front drive plates + belt + clutch disk (but not the disk housing plate) at dealer, and it went away for a couple of months, but came back later. So the issue is related to that part, but maybe something is causing/damaging the plates.

My very limited knowledge tells me there is a misalignment somewhere and the belt somehow could be twisted very slightly due to that and then it damages the plates very slightly over time - it's a hard thing to investigate though.

I have now come to just live with it, on an old bike and only when cold, not a big deal. I guess over a year or two it might damage the plates more, or as it might be a slight issue, not a big problem later on anyway. We will see.....

My money is on dust in the clutch. Go for a good high speed, 80 kph and above, ride and blow the dust out of the clutch. Also riding with a bit more gusto or confidence when taking off from a standstill will reduce the effect.

I was the first guy to respond there :tongue::shock1: 

Right or wrong it is still my opinion.

Edited by VocalNeal

Update on my Honda PCX 150 Shudder.  This time I took it to a real dealer (with the air conditioned showroom and big windows) versus the Street shop version with an office and semi-garage.  The mechanic immediately acknowledged the shudder at slow speed from 1-15 Kph.  He said it was "dust" between the Clutch plates and that this is a regular with all Automatic motorcycles in the City (Bangkok).  He got in there and somehow used an air compressor to blow out the dust from the clutch plates faces'   And then the problem was 90% fixed.  In that now that I had the problem, I have paid far too much attention to it and think, they should have taken the clutch plates off and scrubbed them as it feels as if there is just a little bit of shudder, but not near as what it was.    

Thanks to all that pitched in with their experiences and solutions.  Best, Pat "Moon"Mullen