Why traceability is vital for Thailand’s food chain

webfact

Why traceability is vital for Thailand’s food chain
By Pratch Rujivanarom 
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Tracing agricultural products from the field to the fork is one way consumers can help farmers while securing good food for themselves and also ensuring sustainability and justice in the food supply chain.

Launched a month ago as an initiative of Kasetsart University professor Decharut Sukkumnoed, the campaign for direct rice sales is proving popular with farmers. It also provides a rare opportunity for consumers to talk with food producers directly and learn exactly where the rice on their plates comes from and how it got there.

This is a positive move for traceability of food in Thailand, where most people remain in the dark over its origin or production, with useful information usually limited to the expiry date.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30301021

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-11-29

If 'traceability' is left to the free market then this is a wonderful plan as the 'traceability' adds value to the product.

If 'traceability' is usurped by a governmental agency, codified into regulatory decrees, all bets are off.  

I think it's good news. Someone has to start introducing rules and laws on traceability and ingredients. Sometimes it all sounds a bit over the top in Europe and first world countries, but doing nothing is worse. Of course, pesticides are about the worst problem in Asia, where there are no quality, honest, controls and testing. We should all be able to be aware of what we are putting in our mouths and bodies. Something a lot of people forget too, is the products we use on our skin ( creams/ sunscreen/ détergents etc) . Buying some cosmetic creams a few years back I  opened  them to find it all rancid and yellow , probably due to being left in a super hot stock room for  Ages . Which , by the way, is where all food , drinks etc are stocked ! Although I've been here a lot through 30 odd years , ( odd sometimes being the word) , it never fails to surprise me the way food is cooked, how it's cooked, stored etc . The use of old cooking oil, salt ,msg,  and sugar is horrendous.Whereas a lot of people believe that Thai food (  as most other Asian countries) is healthy, i do not agree at all.   There  are enlightened Thai families and  professional cooks that are careful , but it's not run of the mill.