webfact

A dire climate warning for the Arctic

Catherine Hardy

606x341_350897.jpg

• Fossil fuel warning
  • 19 “regime shifts” identified
  • Some communities adapting better than others

The warning

Unless the world stops burning fossil fuels that are fuelling global warming, irreversible changes in the Arctic could have disastrous effects for the people that live there and for the rest of the planet.

This is the conclusion of researchers working for the Arctic Council, who say the frozen region’s ecosystems are fundamentally threatened by climate change and other human activities like oil and gas extraction.

The study highlights the importance of having the right laws and systems in place so Arctic communities can make collective decisions about how best to face up to climate change.

The details

19 “regime shifts” have been identified.

These are major, hard-to-predict tipping points that have or could occur in the Arctic’s land and water.

They include a switch to sea-ice free summers and the collapse of various fish stocks.

These shifts affect the instability of the climate and landscape, the ability of plant and animal species to survive and indigenous people’s subsistence and ways of life, the report says.

The potential impacts of Arctic regime shifts on the rest of the world are “substantial” but poorly understood.

Indigenous solutions

The report explores how communities in Arctic countries, from Finland to Russia and Canada, are dealing with the changes underway.

Some are adapting far better than others, it has found.

The Inuit of Cape Dorset in Canada’s Nunavut territory have transformed themselves from nomadic hunters into internationally-recognised artists based on their traditional crafts.

And in Iceland, reduced cod quotas and increases in whale populations after a hunting moratorium pushed Húsavík’s fishing community to turn itself into one of the country’s whale-watching hotspots.

However, other places have not proved so resilient.

In Sweden, Sámi reindeer herders have struggled to cope as it becomes harder to feed animals and move around due to shrinking ice.

Other communities in Russia, Greenland and Alaska have run into problems with efforrts to relocate.

What is the Arctic Council?

An intergovernmental forum working to protect the region’s environment.

What they are saying

“Arctic ecosystems are changing in dramatic ways: the ice is melting, sea levels are rising, coastal areas are eroding, permafrost is thawing and the areas where plants and animals live are shifting,” – the Arctic Council report

“If multiple regime shifts reinforce each other, the results could be potentially catastrophic,” – Johann Rockström, director of the Stockholm Resilience Centre.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-11-29

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Ah these global warming nut jobs again.  There was an ice age and it melted and had nothing to do with man.  The days are actually colder than years gone by.

Ah..those science denying nut jobs are at it again. 

And you got your phd in climate science from trump university? 

39 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Ah these global warming nut jobs again.  There was an ice age and it melted and had nothing to do with man.  The days are actually colder than years gone by.

Really? So the extreme heat I experienced this year was just a figment of my imagination, thank goodness, I'm so relieved!

You again. Folk that argue that what we're doing is ok because the Earth naturally warms and cools anyway, or worse still that it has no consequences, need their head read. You should apply for a position with Trump. He's a bit lost on this issue too.

9 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

You again. Folk that argue that what we're doing is ok because the Earth naturally warms and cools anyway, or worse still that it has no consequences, need their head read. You should apply for a position with Trump. He's a bit lost on this issue too.

Global average temperatures over land have plummeted by more than 1C since the middle of this year – their biggest and steepest fall on record.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3974846/Stunning-new-data-indicates-El-Nino-drove-record-highs-global-temperatures-suggesting-rise-not-man-emissions.html

These are natural cycles that have happened before.  Nothing new other than a group of money and power hunger elites attempting to harvest the wealth of the population by implementing global carbon taxation in parallel with a global propaganda campaign. 
Wake up ppls and smell the scam.  :coffee1:  <sniff sniff>  Smells like money.

37 minutes ago, Pimay1 said:

Global average temperatures over land have plummeted by more than 1C since the middle of this year – their biggest and steepest fall on record.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3974846/Stunning-new-data-indicates-El-Nino-drove-record-highs-global-temperatures-suggesting-rise-not-man-emissions.html

The Daily Mail, that bastion of scientific fact, it must be true!

You do not have to have a PhD in climate science to be able to spot a scam as big as the AGW lie. The fear mongering is based on model predictions that do not adequately account for a number of complex factors. The amount of warming that could be caused by CO2 emissions (all manmade CO2 emissions) is tiny compared to other factors such as cloud cover.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/11/22/the-needle-in-the-haystack-pat-franks-devastating-expose-of-climate-model-error/

1 hour ago, Ahab said:

You do not have to have a PhD in climate science to be able to spot a scam as big as the AGW lie. The fear mongering is based on model predictions that do not adequately account for a number of complex factors. The amount of warming that could be caused by CO2 emissions (all manmade CO2 emissions) is tiny compared to other factors such as cloud cover.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/11/22/the-needle-in-the-haystack-pat-franks-devastating-expose-of-climate-model-error/

And apparently neither does your source (have a PHD in climate science).  Those of you who continue to deny the effects of man-made pollution on planet Earth are, in my opinion, a huge part of the problem.  Maybe you could care less what kind of life future generations of the human race (and all other species for that matter) will have but there are many of us who are not so selfish.

------------------------------------------------------

Anthony Watts

Climatechangewords.jpg

Learn more from the Center for Media and Democracy's research on climate change.

200px-Watts.jpg

Blogger Anthony Watts

Willard Anthony Watts (Anthony Watts) is a blogger, weathercaster and non-scientist, paid AGW denier who runs the website wattsupwiththat.com. He does not have a university qualification and has no climate credentials other than being a radio weather announcer. His website is parodied and debunked at the website wottsupwiththat.com Watts is on the payroll of the Heartland Institute, which itself is funded by polluting industries.[1]

Contents

1 hour ago, Ahab said:

Thank God we have you to see through these things on our behalf, the thousands of scientists at universities and research centres around the world can be let go immediately, they're no longer needed!

Just now, Pimay1 said:

Aah yes, attack the source rather than presenting facts to dispute the article.

I don't present anything to dispute what is written in comics!

If you want people to take you seriously, post a reference from a major well known research facility or university and then we'll read it, Daily Mail, The Sun, Daily Express stand zero chance.

1 minute ago, chiang mai said:

I don't present anything to dispute what is written in comics!

If you want people to take you seriously, post a reference from a major well known research facility or university and then we'll read it, Daily Mail, The Sun, Daily Express stand zero chance.

Just as I expected. Anyone who does not agree with you is automatically wrong. No facts needed.

1 hour ago, Ahab said:

If you had a PhD in climate science I suspect you would be more concerned. They are. Sure the Earth warms and cools but not that the levels and amount we have seen recently. Read a source that is vaguely science based, there are thousands from all across the world.

Also, if climate change deniers are wrong but manage to divert efforts away from fixing the problem, then future generations are screwed. If we do something about it and the climate doesn't get screwed, then a lot of rich companies have wasted a lot of cash reducing pollution.

Of course if you are over 50 and don't care about future generations then there isn't much of a gamble involved. Better deny it as prices of things might rise and affect you.

Britain is in the grip of the coldest winter since 1993 so we are being told , so now i suppose they will come up with "global cooling" and tax that , on another note i hear that crop circles are definatly made by Aliens ,who visit the planet from light years away , make the circles and then fly home .

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

Thank God we have you to see through these things on our behalf, the thousands of scientists at universities and research centres around the world can be let go immediately, they're no longer needed!

many a true word spoken in jest .

1 minute ago, Pimay1 said:

Just as I expected. Anyone who does not agree with you is automatically wrong. No facts needed.

Not at all, I can easily agree with you on many things I suspect, just present those things as your personal opinion.

But when you present a newspaper article from Daily Mail as being fact, we aint going to be able to agree on much at all.

1 minute ago, chiang mai said:

Not at all, I can easily agree with you on many things I suspect, just present those things as your personal opinion.

But when you present a newspaper article from Daily Mail as being fact, we aint going to be able to agree on much at all.

Ok noted.

51 minutes ago, JKfarang said:

And apparently neither does your source (have a PHD in climate science).  Those of you who continue to deny the effects of man-made pollution on planet Earth are, in my opinion, a huge part of the problem.  Maybe you could care less what kind of life future generations of the human race (and all other species for that matter) will have but there are many of us who are not so selfish.

Anthony Watts

Climatechangewords.jpg

Learn more from the Center for Media and Democracy's research on climate change.

200px-Watts.jpg

Blogger Anthony Watts

Willard Anthony Watts (Anthony Watts) is a blogger, weathercaster and non-scientist, paid AGW denier who runs the website wattsupwiththat.com. He does not have a university qualification and has no climate credentials other than being a radio weather announcer. His website is parodied and debunked at the website wottsupwiththat.com Watts is on the payroll of the Heartland Institute, which itself is funded by polluting industries.[1]

Contents

Did you actually read the bit of the OP that says:

Unless the world stops burning fossil fuels ?

Does anyone on the side of the "we must do something about global warming" mob actually comprehend the result of that?

It would result in mass starvation as enough food could no longer be grown or transported to feed the billions on planet earth.

Soooooo, the choice is clear- stop using fossil fuel NOW ( later will be too late to make a difference ) and see millions or even billions starve to death, or keep using fossil fuels and ( if the models are correct ) see the Arctic ice melt and the polar bears die off.

Up to you.

1 hour ago, JKfarang said:

Anthony Watts

Climatechangewords.jpg

200px-Watts.jpg

Blogger Anthony Watts

Contents

The man in the video (if you had cared to watch it) does have a PhD and he teaches chemistry at Stanford University. He is an expert at analyzing errors in models and determining exactly what are causing the bias.  I stand by my claim that the global warming models are crap, as is any model that tries to replicate a complex system with many variables that are known (with large errors) or unknown. I will continue to listen to the science but if your theory is that as manmade CO2 increases in the atmosphere the temperature will increase but then it does not rise in a statistically significant way for the last 20 years while at the same time CO2 levels are continuing to increase the theory needs a tweak (or two).

Who the heck decided that the 1850 was the year when the average temperature of the world was just right anyway? Goldie locks?

20 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Did you actually read the bit of the OP that says:

Unless the world stops burning fossil fuels ?

Does anyone on the side of the "we must do something about global warming" mob actually comprehend the result of that?

It would result in mass starvation as enough food could no longer be grown or transported to feed the billions on planet earth.

Soooooo, the choice is clear- stop using fossil fuel NOW ( later will be too late to make a difference ) and see millions or even billions starve to death, or keep using fossil fuels and ( if the models are correct ) see the Arctic ice melt and the polar bears die off.

Up to you.

And the oceans rise and submerge much of the various continents.

Climate Change is either hotter or colder, depending on who writes the story. If you google Earth is getting warmer. You will get stories saying that the earth is warmer. If you google, the earth is getting cooler , you get stories about the earth getting cooler. Note to all on Thai Visa, You and everyone you know will be dead and gone before the earth warms or cools enough to effect us.  I laugh at you people fighting over this story.

Go have a beer, coffee and Chill ( sorry Heat ) out.

35 minutes ago, Ahab said:

The man in the video (if you had cared to watch it) does have a PhD and he teaches chemistry at Stanford University. He is an expert at analyzing errors in models and determining exactly what are causing the bias.  I stand by my claim that the global warming models are crap, as is any model that tries to replicate a complex system with many variables that are known (with large errors) or unknown. I will continue to listen to the science but if your theory is that as manmade CO2 increases in the atmosphere the temperature will increase but then it does not rise in a statistically significant way for the last 20 years while at the same time CO2 levels are continuing to increase the theory needs a tweak (or two).

Who the heck decided that the 1850 was the year when the average temperature of the world was just right anyway? Goldie locks?

My year would be when Lake Lyndon in the New Zealand southern alps stopped freezing in the early 1970s. That was long before the term "global warming" was ever heard. From 1971 the snow level rose significantly. As I haven't been there since the 80s, I can't say as to the snow level since.

BTW, back then, the scientists were forecasting lower temperatures, so they were wrong then, and who is to say they are right now?

5 hours ago, Thechook said:

If ignorance is bliss you must be ecstatic!!!

Yes, there has been several ice ages on this planet and each of them took tens of thousands of years to happen and tens of thousands of years to end.

The changes that are happening now are happening in less than 100 years!!!

42 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

And the oceans rise and submerge much of the various continents.

That would require the Antarctic and the Greenland ice caps to thaw, and so far that is only a muttering among the fringe.

If that were to happen, it would solve the problem as most people would die and there would be little man made warming occurring any more.

BTW, if the scientists could prove to the satisfaction of the world's politicians that doom was almost on us, do you think any of us would be driving cars or flying anywhere?

That nothing is being done as to actual solutions suggests to me that it's all a huge con.