The 2017 Honda CRF250 Rally Launched in Thailand

Richard-BKK

"Hope the plastic below the engine is tough ".  Id rather the engine be toughened up over  the old 250 / 286 lump.  Does it use a completley new engine design ?.  For 170,000 its overpriced compared to the better Kawasaki KLX , at 150,000.

Saw one in Big Wing Honda Chiang Mai today. Nice looking but their are 2 models... standard one is 163k and H2C model 184k.

2hp over the CRF250L.

It's a lot of extra baht for a few extra pieces of plastic. But it does look sweet....if they would only put a 450 motor into it then I'd mortgage the wife to get one ? (Just joking)

• 1 year later...
On 30.11.2016 at 1:14 AM, ktm jeff said:

"Hope the plastic below the engine is tough ".  Id rather the engine be toughened up over  the old 250 / 286 lump.  Does it use a completley new engine design ?.  For 170,000 its overpriced compared to the better Kawasaki KLX , at 150,000.

hahahhaha there are always some ppl having NO CLUE at all but a lot of it... 
I am having both, the totally terrible KLX Kawasaki and the Honda CRF 250 L wich is a fine bike..... Kawasaki stinks...problems from beginning, stand, filters, all garbage.... my Honda still running fine after 5 years and 60k km on and offroad in Thailand... I am going to buy the new CRF Rally tomorrow... 
Just check the prices for spareparts out on Honda and Kawasaki... says it all... Kawa 150% more expensive for EVERYTHING... never again Kawasaki!!!

And to the ABS Addicts on Motorcycle... buy a Africa Twin and stay away from OFFROAD riding, you are having obviously not much of an idea how ABS works on a Motorcycle ;)

On 1.12.2016 at 5:12 PM, macknife said:

Why not use the (nearly) 300cc engine they already have?

I'm pretty sure the CRF uses the same 250 engine that the CBR 300 was upgraded from.

170,000B seems a bit much

has something to do with limitations on European driving licences for youngsters. They are not allowed to ride more than 250cc and to be honest, if you ever sat on a Honda CRF250 you know you dont need much more cc, its just a fine running ride...even if hispeed is only 120km/h  ...the new CRF250Rally costs a bit more, 20+k more but it has some hp more and goes 154km/h has a bigger tank... THANK YOU HONDA...FINALLY... and some other nice extras ... I cant imagine a much better bike for dual riding in Thailand...i am good in street city traffic and offroad in Chiang Mai and Loei .... for 30% of the price of an Africa Twin which is by far to heavy for Offroad anyways 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, moskito said:

has something to do with limitations on European driving licences for youngsters. They are not allowed to ride more than 250cc

A2 licenses allow up to 35kW (restricted from max 70kW).

A1 licenses allow up to 125cc and 11kW.

There is no licence category with a 250cc limit in the EU afaik.

• Like 1

NZ went the same ways a few years ago. Previously a restricted or learner licence was based on cc rating.  You could only ride a bike upto 250cc.

Nowadays it's all to do with power output.  This is a smart move.

Some of the older bikes (In their day) had a ridiculous power output and they weren't a huge cc.  Yamaha RD range were death traps in the hands of the inexperienced.

Now you can get a bike upto 660cc with a LAMS certificate (Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme) output.  It makes sense.

Power to weight ratio. And if you modify it, then all bets are off.  The LAMS approval is wiped.

It's great for learner riders and a damn side safer too.

Can't see it working here tho.... but that'

• Like 2

13 hours ago, moskito said:

I am having both, the totally terrible KLX Kawasaki and the Honda CRF 250 L wich is a fine bike..... Kawasaki stinks...problems from beginning, stand, filters, all garbage.... my Honda still running fine after 5 years and 60k km on and offroad in Thailand... I am going to buy the new CRF Rally tomorrow... 
Just check the prices for spareparts out on Honda and Kawasaki... says it all... Kawa 150% more expensive for EVERYTHING... never again Kawasaki!!!

And to the ABS Addicts on Motorcycle... buy a Africa Twin and stay away from OFFROAD riding, you are having obviously not much of an idea how ABS works on a Motorcycle ;)

There is only one reason why Honda Thailand sales this bike without ABS. It is cheaper without ABS. In Europe same bike comes with 2 channel ABS, and regarding the remark offroad and ABS... Every heard of a thing called switch? Of course you can turn it off if necessary.

I like Honda, good quality bikes - probably superior to Kawasaki, but you don`t have to be a fanboy.

Honda just going cheap in Thailand because they can do it.

With the new PCX it is the same, in some countries it has ABS and in Thailand not, still Thai customers are so keen to buy one, they even pay above manufacturer's suggested retail price...

I haven't ridden the Rally, but on a recent MHS loop trip on my CRFL we were accompanied by a couple on a Forza with a screen. Although it was windy on some of the trip we noticed nothing, while the guy on the Forza claimed a lot of fairly serious buffeting, which he attributed to the screen.

So is the screen a good idea in Thailand, where it is unnecessary?

A windscreen that isn't of the right size can create more issues than it helps. An even windblast on your front is better than buffeting that throws your head left and right. A screen that fits your size though will be way more comfortable than no screen. I had buffeting issues with the stock screen on my AT and bought an adjuster kit which only had to raise the screen by 1.5cm, perfect now.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 6:53 PM, moskito said:

Just curious, but can you be more specific with the problems with your Kawasaki? as I've done nearly 50,000kim on my 2010 D-Tracker & its still going strong, I've had the steering bearings & fork seals replaced in the 5 years that I've had it & just the basic things like tyres, chain & sprockets, I have been looking at the Honda but I cant really see much difference in the two bikes apart from the styling.......