UK: Four men took own lives after webcam blackmail

webfact

Four men took own lives after webcam blackmail

LONDON: -- Four men have killed themselves in the UK in the last year after becoming victims of sextortion, police say.

The number of people reporting financially-motivated webcam blackmails has more than doubled from 385 in 2015 to 864 up to November 2016.

The National Crime Agency (NCA) said it believed it was also significantly under-reported and actual numbers of victims were likely much higher.

The National Police Chiefs' Council said the rise in cases was "worrying".

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38150313

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2016-11-30

I'm puzzled. Apparently people are being persuaded by complete strangers to post images of themselves on a public system that are so embarrassing that they can be blackmailed or even kill themselves.

Have people lost their minds?

Are people so lonely that they even trust people they have never met in real life?

It's not like this stuff is hidden from public knowledge. I even cover my computer's camera, because it is well known that they can be remotely accessed.

I watched a documentary on it recently in the U.K. It was focused on Saudi Arabia because of the shame ect concerning their faith and with Saudis generally being wealthy. I suspect the four in the U.K. we're of Muslim faith aswell. They basically show a recorded video on the webcam of some hot chick getting her kit out and touching her private area ect. Whilst not showing her face and someone else is typing suggestive things. The guy may then start masturbating ect and has no idea he's being recorded through the web cam. 

Edited by goldenbrwn1

When I got my first web cam I went on some online chat rooms to test things out.  I was amazed that they were fronts for "cyber sex" hook ups and that there are guys and gals just broadcasting live images of their genitalia hoping someone will chat with them.  It's a strange new world out there.

It seems that the above posters have not read the whole article, and certainly not watched the video from the national Crime Agency!

"Sextortion" is a form of blackmail where criminals use fake identities to befriend victims online before persuading them to perform sexual acts in front of their webcam.

3 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

<snip>I suspect the four in the U.K. we're of Muslim faith aswell.

From the names of victims in the article, your suspicions are incorrect

One of the four men who took their own lives, 17-year-old Ronan killed himself in June 2015 after being tricked into posting images on a social networking site...........

Teenager Gary, from Hampshire, was blackmailed after he started visiting dating websites and was asked to talk over webcam.

"She invited me onto webcam, where she looked similar to her profile picture... the video call lasted for around 30 to 45 minutes, all on the phone. She said 'show me a bit more, and show me your face'.

"Then the messages came up, saying 'pay £500 or this is going all over social media. I want £500', and listing my friends' details."

3 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

I suspect the four in the U.K. we're of Muslim faith aswell.

Have you actually read the linked article? Or are you just living out your own fantasy about who can be tricked into such acts? One of the suicides was a 17 year old named Ronan Hughes.

Others tricked into such situations were Gary and Jimmy ...

Teenager Gary, from Hampshire, was blackmailed after he started visiting dating websites  ...

Jimmy, in his 20s, from Northern Ireland ...

While there's no way of knowing what faith they are, Ronan, Gary and Jimmy don't sound likely to all be Muslims.

Making an ass of yourself (and being driven to suicide or at least to embarrassed despair) is not something limited to Muslims. In fact I think they would be less likely to put themselves in such compromising situations than would the average pseudo-Christian Brit. It's fairly common amongst members of parliament if news reports are anything to go by.

The guy may then start masturbating ect

What is "masturbating ect?"

Edited by Suradit69

35 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Have you actually read the linked article? Or are you just living out your own fantasy about who can be tricked into such acts? One of the suicides was a 17 year old named Ronan Hughes.

Others tricked into such situations were Gary and Jimmy ...

While there's no way of knowing what faith they are, Ronan, Gary and Jimmy don't sound likely to all be Muslims.

Making an ass of yourself (and being driven to suicide or at least to embarrassed despair) is not something limited to Muslims. In fact I think they would be less likely to put themselves in such compromising situations than would the average pseudo-Christian Brit. It's fairly common amongst members of parliament if news reports are anything to go by.

What is "masturbating ect?"

No sorry I didn't. I am wrong about them being Muslim but it's the same or similar scam I described.

You asked what is ' masturbating' ? Really? Or is it the ect?  I could PM you if you would like me to explain. Have you got a webcam?

Edited by goldenbrwn1

49 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Have you actually read the linked article? ............

15 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

No sorry I didn't...........

Remember that for copyright reasons the news team cannot post the whole article in the OP; just a quote and a link.

Perhaps in future it would be a good idea for you to follow the link and read the whole article before commenting!

52 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

It seems that the above posters have not read the whole article, and certainly not watched the video from the national Crime Agency!

From the names of victims in the article, your suspicions are incorrect

Yes I should of read the whole article and not jumped to the conclusion that they were Muslim. It's just that documentary was rather good and was only watched recently.  Point taken . 

3 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Remember that for copyright reasons the news team cannot post the whole article in the OP; just a quote and a link.

Perhaps in future it would be a good idea for you to follow the link and read the whole article before commenting!

Wow ok dad chill....am sorry again. 

7 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

I watched a documentary on it recently in the U.K. It was focused on Saudi Arabia because of the shame ect concerning their faith and with Saudis generally being wealthy. I suspect the four in the U.K. we're of Muslim faith aswell. They basically show a recorded video on the webcam of some hot chick getting her kit out and touching her private area ect. Whilst not showing her face and someone else is typing suggestive things. The guy may then start masturbating ect and has no idea he's being recorded through the web cam. 

I think I saw the same documentary, although it was Muslim guys from the UAE? doing it to UK teenagers.

The footage of the girl was pre-recorded and the blackmailers had various clips they showed to the victim eg of the girl holding up 2 fingers etc since it was a common question from the victim to ask the girl to do this to check the feed was live.

Edited by katana

19 minutes ago, katana said:

I think I saw the same documentary, although it was Muslim guys from the UAE? doing it to UK teenagers.

The footage of the girl was pre-recorded and the blackmailers had various clips they showed to the victim eg of the girl holding up 2 fingers etc since it was a common question from the victim to ask the girl to do this to check the feed was live.

If it was the same one I watched it was muslims from poorer Muslim countries praying on wealthier Muslim guys in the UAE and other places. But yes all pre recorded ect. But after reading the full article on this post, it seems to have spread to non muslims aswell.

Edited by goldenbrwn1

I think this is much more a gender thing than a religious thing.   Men usually don't use the big head when it comes to matters of sex.   Women are much more calculating in who they have sex with, as a general rule.   

I can see many men who would fall for this.   Older men might be a little more cautious, but no less foolish.   Younger guys might be a lot more naive.   But the lure of sex is extremely strong.   

When we were young in the sixties life was less complicated, especially after the Pill appeared on the scene. You went out with a girl and either had sex or did not.

I think the vulnerable then are the same people now. Individuals without much in the way of social skills or confidence, or maybe not very good looking. Basically they cannot interact in society for assorted reasons, these people are simple bait for internet scammers. And because of their inherent weaknesses they commit suicide. A stronger character wouldn't care about being exposed and would probably use it for bragging rights. Weak people will always be weak, hence bullies picking on them. And these Internet scum are just cyber bullies picking on the weak in society. And very difficult to stop them.

What has become of peoples lives that that are so sad and pathetic to firstly post pictures of themselves on the net to total strangers... pictures that they would feel they need to KILL THEMSELVES for if anyone else saw them, and secondly to actually kill themselves over a fear of someone seeing their dick?

Did they not think just to delete all their social media accounts, or is their facebook and other stuff more important than their own lives?