Take my iPhone 5 to US and Mexico

Orangutan

• 2 weeks later...

If you brought direct from Apple you wont need to unlock it, if you brought it from one of the telecos then yes you will, they normaly will do this and in AU its free service.

Since your traveling to the US and Mexico I've just returned from there, i met some Mexican Americans in Mexico who told me they were using there American phone network in Mexico, no extra charges.

I have two iPhones - one (5s) for exchanging SIM cards for various countries in which I travel and the other (6) for my local DTAC card. Both were purchased here in Thailand and are as such factory unlocked.

Both work in the USA. I have used T-Mobile and AT&T for my 5s phone. DTAC roams without a problem. Also, DTAC works with wifi calling there, so as long as I am connected to wifi, I can place and receive calls between the USA and Thailand with no charge. For that, I set up a wifi hotspot on my 5s (AT&T), connect my iPhone 6 (with DTAC SIM) via wifi to that, and I am totally free of all roaming charges to and from Thailand. 

Archived