Today at the Savannakhet Thai consul

2 minutes ago, bogus1965 said:

Nope he did not ask for anything in addition.

Guess you are right, it's time for a new passport to get rid of the history.

Thereafter going the clearer path based on retirement.

If you are doing the retirement path next (after this entry), a new passport might not be necessary - I don't recall posts of "based on retirement" visa-applicants being denied based on the passport's visa-history.  Definitely a good idea to get a new passport if doing more Tourist Visas in the interim, though.

44 minutes ago, transam said:

If I were an immigration bloke a red flag would come up for a "Tourist" having a Thai bank account.....

Well, I tend to disagree.

There are good and valid reasons to have a Thai bank account.

Just take as example if somebody bought a condo and have to pay the month/quarterly utility bills.

And they might come 2-3 times every year to enjoy life.

They would loose a lot of money if the transfer the money for each and every single invoice and in addition to use atm when here.

Transferring one or twice a year bigger amount using TransferWise would save a bunch of money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bogus1965 said:

Just take as example if somebody bought a condo and have to pay the month/quarterly utility bills.

They would loose a lot of money if the transfer the money for each and every single invoice and in addition to use atm when here.

Transferring one or twice a year bigger amount using TransferWise would save a bunch of money.

Immigration bloke has a job to sift stuff, they want chaff out....Blokes like me who have been here for years are being "visited" because of chaff..."Visitors" should be looked at..."Visitors" run businesses here....They should be looked at....

1 hour ago, transam said:

If I were an immigration bloke a red flag would come up for a "Tourist" having a Thai bank account.....

11 minutes ago, bogus1965 said:

I got pulled at swampy over year ago coming in from singapore on a tourist triple. had a long chat as officer persistent I working/work related, on proving funds and how I supported myself led to showing my thai bank card, he was not happy with that at all ! in his eyes tourist would not have a thai bank account. Only thing resolved the issue was logging into my foreign account and showing my funds & transfers etc.

every officer going be different but be well prepared and calm approach is critical ...

Edited by BuckBee

7 minutes ago, BuckBee said:

I got pulled at swampy over year ago coming in from singaphore on a tourist tripple. had a long chat as officer persistant I working/work related, on prooving funds and how I supported myself led to showing my thai bank card, he was not happy with that at all ! in his etes tourist would not have a thai bank account. Only thing resolved the issue was logging into my foreign account and showing my funds & transfers etc.

every officer going be different but be well prepaired and calm aproach is critical ...

Noticed. But I think this is far OT.

I just joined this forum and I don't want to be refused again.

Let open a new topic like "What Thai Immigration should doing" where we can express and discuss our opinions.

2 minutes ago, bogus1965 said:

Noticed. But I think this is far OT.

I just joined this forum and I don't want to be refused again.

Let open a new topic like "What Thai Immigration should doing" where we can express and discuss our opinions.

We ain't immigration staff...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Get Real said:

The bank can normally issue copies 3 month back with certified stamp. You should never have to leave you bank book. Not normal procedure.

I just got a bank statement (3 Months back) from SCB. I paid 100 Baht for that. It shows I have sufficient funds and that the money come from abroad. Hope this should help to get another SETV.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, transam said:

Immigration bloke has a job to sift stuff, they want chaff out....Blokes like me who have been here for years are being "visited" because of chaff..."Visitors" should be looked at..."Visitors" run businesses here....They should be looked at....

It's a wrong assumption to think everyone with a Thai bank account doing business in Thailand. I opened an account Years ago. When the exchange rate was in my favor, i transferred some money which i used later back in Thailand. Furthermore, i don't have to complain about expensive fees for using foreigner ATM cards. I just use my Thai card and withdraw for free.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alocacoc said:

It's a wrong assumption to think everyone with a Thai bank account doing business in Thailand. I opened an account Years ago. When the exchange rate was in my favor, i transferred some money which i used later back in Thailand. Furthermore, i don't have to complain about expensive fees for using foreigner ATM cards. I just use my Thai card and withdraw for free.

You are doing business on a tourist visa....?

1 hour ago, BuckBee said:

I got pulled at swampy over year ago coming in from singapore on a tourist triple. had a long chat as officer persistent I working/work related, on proving funds and how I supported myself led to showing my thai bank card, he was not happy with that at all ! in his eyes tourist would not have a thai bank account. Only thing resolved the issue was logging into my foreign account and showing my funds & transfers etc.

every officer going be different but be well prepared and calm approach is critical ...

Yes, I can understand that a card, alone, could leave that impression.  As others have found out the hard way, showing a card is pretty much worthless as evidence of having money at checkpoints.  You are fortunate he was willing to look at your foreign-account via online-access, which did not work for another fellow recently. 

The good thing about my bank-book is that it shows my funds being transferred in, vs deposited from local sources. 

15 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

I just got a bank statement (3 Months back) from SCB. I paid 100 Baht for that. It shows I have sufficient funds and that the money come from abroad. Hope this should help to get another SETV.

Good idea.  I think I will add this to my list of documents for my next visa-run, just in case the bank-book by itself is not deemed sufficient.   100 Baht is cheap insurance.

• Like 1

i've been on alot of thailand related internet forums over the years.  alot of people that visit once or twice a year (but do it every year) have thai bank accounts. 

the comment on bank books being a thing of 40 yrs ago is what i thought before i opened my account and got a bank book.  when i go to move money from my USD account to my thai baht account at bangkok bank on silom road, they don't even ask for ID.  they just ask for the two bank books.  i've been too lazy to sign up for internet banking.

i'm not 100% certain but i think a farang lady seated next to me at the counter forgot her bank book and couldn't process the transaction she wanted.  the bank employee was saying 'you don't have your bank book' and the lady was saying 'i have my ID'.  so bank books mean alot in thailand !!!!

• Like 1

I think they will do a withdrawal without the book but there is a small fee.  FWIW, there are still certificates forcerificates of deposit, but now they just keep them and send you a receipt.  You can buy them from 50 different banks wityh a fidelity account.  Like stock certificates, they do exist, but the customer rarely possesses them.  I would rather lose a bankbook than an ATM card, which I refuse to have issued here.

Great info guys.   Sorry op that your having trouble.   I bet this is inconvenient?  What is your plan?   

Why no ATM card?    Is it due to the risk of torture? Does seem like a Golden egg if someone can force the password out.   

8 hours ago, bogus1965 said:

Just got back from Savannakhet.

My SETV application was also refused.

Background:

age 51, EU citizen

Non-B in 2015 and before

2x SETV issued in Penang both extended for 30 days

Single Entry Non-ED issued in Savannakhet plus renewed for another 3 month

1x SETV issued in Savannakhet extended for 30 days

Now my SETV application got refused.

By my calculation I stayed 155 days on TV and another 176 days on Non-ED in 2016.

Perhaps given the increasing references to having the right type of visa I wonder if the consulate having looked at your length of stay in Thailand and your age concluded that you should have applied for the "retirement" visa. I hope that it all works out okay, were you able to re-enter visa exempt?

7 hours ago, Elkski said:

Great info guys.   Sorry op that your having trouble.   I bet this is inconvenient?  What is your plan?   

Why no ATM card?    Is it due to the risk of torture? Does seem like a Golden egg if someone can force the password out.   

Consumer protection is minimal....while it is excellent in the us if someone raids your account..unless it is the IRS or the state of California.

How hard is it to open an account?   I would want to send money using transferwise or similar...  It is against my religion to pay 3-6% for an ATM withdrawal or whatever.. Never use an atm here in the states.  Plus I learned how expensive small bank transfers are.  Near 20% on a 300$ send using CHase the crooks.  

10 hours ago, gilo said:

Perhaps given the increasing references to having the right type of visa I wonder if the consulate having looked at your length of stay in Thailand and your age concluded that you should have applied for the "retirement" visa. I hope that it all works out okay, were you able to re-enter visa exempt?

Could be as well like that. Was no problem at the border. The lady at the border ask where I am going and said "No Visa?". Anyway, got 30 days visa exempt to sort things out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Elkski said:

How hard is it to open an account?   I would want to send money using transferwise or similar...  It is against my religion to pay 3-6% for an ATM withdrawal or whatever.. Never use an atm here in the states.  Plus I learned how expensive small bank transfers are.  Near 20% on a 300$ send using CHase the crooks.  

You may have to shop around at bank-branches to find a friendly one.  Recently, they have begun asking applicants to go to Immigration and get a Residence Certificate.  Following advice on this site, I opened an account with Bangkok Bank a few years back without issue, and transfer money to their New York branch via ACH (free from my US bank), which is routed to my account in Thailand.  I am not sure of the transfer options with other banks and countries.