At least three dead in earthquake at Polish copper mine

snoop1130

At least three dead in earthquake at Polish copper mine

At least three pic.jpg

At least three people have died and five are missing following a tremor in a copper mine in Poland.

Director of the pit Pawel Markowski confirmed two other miners could be seen, but it was not possible to establish contact with them to determine their condition.

“We can see the hand of one of the miners and the torso of the other from a distance of two metres,” he said.

A shallow, magnitude 4.4 earthquake is said to have caused a cave-in at the KGHM-owned mine in Polkowice, in the south-west of the country.

Its epicentre was 1,500 metres below the surface, state news agency PAP reports. KGHM said the tremor was “very strong” and caused “extensive damage.”

KGHM Chairman Radoslaw Domagalski-Labedzki has announced a period of mourning.

“We will announce four days of mourning and will cancel some of events organised for Miners’ Day on Sunday (December 4). A rescue operation is being carried out under very difficult conditions.”

Three people were taken to hospital and are each reported to be in a stable, non-life-threatening condition with back and head injuries.

In operation for over 40 years, the pit is one of the largest copper mines in Europe.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-11-30