Advice on best alternative to get Non O A

I would appreciate advice on the best option for me to get a Non O A Visa. I have researched the Forum but not found a clear answer to my current personal situation following the crackdown on Visa Exempt entries.

I am Australian. I have been working FIFO with Thailand as my base since 2008. I own an Apartment in Pattaya and since 2013 have spent between 2 and 4 weeks there or in Saraburi 3 to 8 times a year. This year due to a lousy Rota it was only twice for a total of 4 weeks until my current visit. (Between 2008 and 2013 I was travelling monthly for weekends  from within the region so have have literally dozens of Visa Exempt entries  but not all in this current Passport).
I have now decided to retire and will seek a 'Non Immigrant O A'; my question is what is recommended by the wise members such as Ubon Joe as the best way to go about it in my case?
I entered 30 day Visa Exempt on 8th November. I need to have Surgery (Bumrungrad) next week with a requisite few weeks recovery so plan to seek a 30 day extension in Saraburi Immigration. If I return to Australia at the end of that extension what is my easiest and best option to end up with  the O A when I return late January after my 800k bank seasoning period?

A) Apply for the O A at Thai Canberra Embassy?  Looking at their website it seems they seek more documentation than if I apply in Thailand, Police Clearance, notarised copies etc.  I cannot see the option to apply for an O type and then later convert it here as I have seen suggested in the Forum ( I am not legally married here)
B) Enter Visa Exempt and then apply for the Non O A in Saraburi or BKK, or
C) As I have numerous Visa Exempts over the 4 years, approx 20 since this Passport was issued in 2012 would it be better to get a SETV in Australia, enter on that and then seek the Non OA here or maybe exit and apply for a Non O in Savannakhet and then convert to O A  back here in Thailand, or
D) Apply for the Non O A in Savannahket? 

Thanks for your help and advice.

Australia is the only place you can apply for a OA visa.

If you don't want to get the the OA visa your best option is to get a single entry tourist visa. Then you could apply for change of visa status at immigration to get a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry based upon qualifying a retirement extension. You can apply at any time during the 60 day entry up to the last 15 days of it.

To apply for the visa you will need 800k baht in a Thai bank on the date you apply or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa you could apply for the one year extension based upon retirement by showing the same financial proof but the 800k baht will need to be in bank for 60 days when you apply.