Big Mac inventor dies, aged 98

webfact

2 hours ago, Thechook said:

The guy invented the hamburger.  he put a pattie of ground up lips, noses and other intestines between 3 slices of bread, added fake yellow cheese, some old lettuce and tomato sauce.  The guy was a pure culinary genius.  This marvelous food in now being sold in what is claimed to be world famous "RESTAURANTS."  When I pick up a hot chick I always book a table at these restuarants.   A gentlemen must make an impression.  I tell her her to rap her lips around the best beef burger.  For some unknown reason they leave.

Not even close to being true. The hamburger was invented long, long before this guy. All he did was add one additional half of a bun, an extra patty, and alot of high cholesterol junk. That is all he is famous for.

Fletcher Davis of Athens, Texas claimed to have invented the hamburger. According to oral histories, in the 1880s he opened a lunch counter in Athens and served a 'burger' of fried ground beef patties with mustard and Bermuda onion between two slices of bread, with a pickle on the side.

6 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

He invented the Egg McMuffin too. I like both every now and again.

He did not invent the Egg McMuffin. It was invented by Herb Petersen in Santa Barbara in 1972. I worked at that store at the time being one of the cooks who first served it up. 

People who diss on the quality of fast food are losing sight of the times that spawned the market.  Americans had money and cars and new roads and every time they pulled in somewhere to eat on the road, they took a chance of getting food poisoning.  (Or at least, crappy food at ridiculous prices)  

Whenever you saw the Golden Arches, you could be assured the taste and quality was going to be consistent, and the price was going to be affordable.  Not great, but consistent.  It (along with Motel chains) opened up the leisure travel market in the USA, which revolutionized the travel markets around the world.

Today, that's still true as the world gets smaller and we find ourselves on holiday or on business in places where it's not safe to eat local food or drink the water.  I'm not a fan of McD food, but it's saved many a business trip for me.

In the USA, I can't even go to the grocery store and buy ingredients for a dinner any cheaper than a Mickey D's meal.  Bonus?  I don't have to cook. I don't have to clean dishes.  I don't even have to get out of my car if I don't want.  It's not gourmet.  It's the equivalent of filling the tank.  So, comparing a $4.00 meal with a $15-25.00 restaurant meal or a 4 hour home cooked meal isn't really a fair comparison.

Edited by impulse

19 minutes ago, impulse said:

People who diss on the quality of fast food are losing sight of the times that spawned the market.  Americans had money and cars and new roads and every time they pulled in somewhere to eat on the road, they took a chance of getting food poisoning.  (Or at least, crappy food at ridiculous prices)  

Whenever you saw the Golden Arches, you could be assured the taste and quality was going to be consistent, and the price was going to be affordable.  Not great, but consistent.  It (along with Motel chains) opened up the leisure travel market in the USA, which revolutionized the travel markets around the world.

Today, that's still true as the world gets smaller and we find ourselves on holiday or on business in places where it's not safe to eat local food or drink the water.  I'm not a fan of McD food, but it's saved many a business trip for me.

In the USA, I can't even go to the grocery store and buy ingredients for a dinner any cheaper than a Mickey D's meal.  Bonus?  I don't have to cook. I don't have to clean dishes.  I don't even have to get out of my car if I don't want.  It's not gourmet.  It's the equivalent of filling the tank.  So, comparing a $4.00 meal with a $15-25.00 restaurant meal or a 4 hour home cooked meal isn't really a fair comparison.

Oh please.  its plastic crap disguised as food.  only morons  eat plastic manufactured crap.  buy one of these si called nutritional burgers that this guy evented, put it on your bench and I bet its still there in the same condition 20 years later

6 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:
  • This guy probably killed more people than smoking, and while we are at it I would say that America, foisting it,s disgusting dietary habits on the rest of the world, has destroyed the health of entire countries ! Coca Cola should be banned, along with all the other c**p that they have been peddling to the public for financial gain, and the only decent thing they ever put out was the Egg McMuffin !

The interesting thing is that if you actually made a hamburger with the ingredients in it that they say are in it, then it would be quite healthy.  If you don't believe me then ask anyone who has ever eaten a real Australian hamburger with the works.  The problem is that the end product is never the same as the advertized product and I will never know why they have never been sued for false advertizing.

As an aside I can remember all those years ago, whilst reading a 2 inch article on page 329 of a certain newspaper that China, (still officially behind the bamboo curtain at that time) had agreed to allow the sale of Coca Cola.  My comment at that time was....."that's the end of the bamboo curtain", and sure enough it came down officially within months.   So for those of you who still don't believe in globalization, here is a good example of it at work.

24 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Oh please.  its plastic crap disguised as food.  only morons  eat plastic manufactured crap.  buy one of these si called nutritional burgers that this guy evented, put it on your bench and I bet its still there in the same condition 20 years later

So, don't sugar coat it.  How do you really feel about fast food?

3 hours ago, Thechook said:

The guy invented the hamburger.  he put a pattie of ground up lips, noses and other intestines between 3 slices of bread, added fake yellow cheese, some old lettuce and tomato sauce.  The guy was a pure culinary genius.  This marvelous food in now being sold in what is claimed to be world famous "RESTAURANTS."  When I pick up a hot chick I always book a table at these restuarants.   A gentlemen must make an impression.  I tell her her to rap her lips around the best beef burger.  For some unknown reason they leave.

Why don't you relax and have a hot dog.

8 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:
  • This guy probably killed more people than smoking, and while we are at it I would say that America, foisting it,s disgusting dietary habits on the rest of the world, has destroyed the health of entire countries ! Coca Cola should be banned, along with all the other c**p that they have been peddling to the public for financial gain, and the only decent thing they ever put out was the Egg McMuffin !

Don't buy them. No one makes you. I don't like them either, you can get a better burger at any bar and grille in the states--so I just don't go to Mickey D's; it's garbage, but so many people like it, go figure

3 hours ago, smotherb said:

Don't buy them. No one makes you. I don't like them either, you can get a better burger at any bar and grille in the states-

You say that, but when I'm rolling though ElDorado, Arkansas for the first time in my life and I see The Dodgy Diner on one corner and the golden arches on the other corner, one's a sure bet and I can be back on the road in no time, and the other one may take a half hour to get a crappy hockey puck on stale bread for 3x the money.

BTW, about my 3rd time through ElDorado, I found an amazing barbecue joint- as good or better than any I knew in Texas.  One of my customers recommended it.

I used to like a Big Mac when I was younger.  The weirdest phenomena was that irrespective of whether I ate one, two or three of them in one sitting along with fries and milkshake then I'd be hungry again within two hours.

I wouldn't rule out a Big Mac again in the future if truth be told.

13 hours ago, impulse said:

You say that, but when I'm rolling though ElDorado, Arkansas for the first time in my life and I see The Dodgy Diner on one corner and the golden arches on the other corner, one's a sure bet and I can be back on the road in no time, and the other one may take a half hour to get a crappy hockey puck on stale bread for 3x the money.

BTW, about my 3rd time through ElDorado, I found an amazing barbecue joint- as good or better than any I knew in Texas.  One of my customers recommended it.

I disagree, if there is a local diner across from a Mickey D's; it is there for a reason. That reason I usually find is because it has good food. If it didn't, it would not still be in business.