Frenchman jumps to his death in Pattaya

webfact

2 hours ago, johnhw said:

oh for sure. If a stat, study, research or official report don't agree with our preconceived delusions...it must be rigged

No. Actually I think you must be rigged and seriously deluded. However you would be absolutely amazed at how many false fire alarms were activated in a given area where it was sausages being cooked and nothing else caused it, or the number of attempt break and enters that get recorded as Mischief to keep stats down. Always think statistics are 100 % accurate for whatever you want to prove and try not believing in the tooth fairy and Santa anymore..

Edited by silent

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 02/12/2016 at 0:39 AM, Suradit69 said:

Well the suicide rate in Florida, which has a high population of elderly retired, is around 8 per day.

http://www.floridasuicideprevention.org/the_facts.htm

And Thailand is nowhere near as bad as South Korea in suicides generally, but especially among the elderly.

suicide rates.png

Suradit69, is this a reliable information you got here? Where is this information from? Please give details.

I didn't know South Korea has such high rate of suicide among the aging population. Surprised.

5 hours ago, silent said:

No. Actually I think you must be rigged and seriously deluded. However you would be absolutely amazed at how many false fire alarms were activated in a given area where it was sausages being cooked and nothing else caused it, or the number of attempt break and enters that get recorded as Mischief to keep stats down. Always think statistics are 100 % accurate for whatever you want to prove and try not believing in the tooth fairy and Santa anymore..

Stats can be manipulated, an undeniable fact. What I chuckle about is not the stats, but the reason we doubt some and accept others.  Nothing is more obvious to me than the statistical tapdancing that goes on when findings are counter to what we parrot, and how uncritically we agree, confirm and swear by the collective judgements of stats from sources we agree with.

50 minutes ago, johnhw said:

Stats can be manipulated, an undeniable fact. What I chuckle about is not the stats, but the reason we doubt some and accept others.  Nothing is more obvious to me than the statistical tapdancing that goes on when findings are counter to what we parrot, and how uncritically we agree, confirm and swear by the collective judgements of stats from sources we agree with.

No no no you seem to miss my initial point. I really don't care. I just wanted to be devils advocate making a joke about stats, not get into a philosophical discussion but you wanted to have a tapdance to show how much smarter you are. Sorry you failed miserably.

On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 1:53 PM, roobaa01 said:

broken hearts and distressed souls lead to fatal moves.

wbr

roobaa01

I hope it wasn't a case of "broken hearts" - if it was, he should have listened, prior to the sad event obviously, to Frank Zappa's amazing song titled "Broken hearts are for <deleted>" from the Sheik Yerbouti album (1979)!

On 12/2/2016 at 3:00 PM, Nemesis7 said:

RIP old man,  wonder what made him do such an horrible act??

In some cases a combination of drugs and alcohol can make you lose your mind completely , maybe he was not a suicidal person normally.  In Pattaya it's easy to get addicted to drugs and alcohol . I wonder how many of the suicides is because of this lethal combination . 

Edited by balo

16 hours ago, silent said:

No no no you seem to miss my initial point. I really don't care. I just wanted to be devils advocate making a joke about stats, not get into a philosophical discussion but you wanted to have a tapdance to show how much smarter you are. Sorry you failed miserably.

Sorry,  shoulda known. No place for "philosophical discussion" on most TV strings. I "failed miserably" to get  your "Joke about stats," possibly because its 'humor' is as worn out as the geo-centred universe.

1 hour ago, johnhw said:

Sorry,  shoulda known. No place for "philosophical discussion" on most TV strings. I "failed miserably" to get  your "Joke about stats," possibly because its 'humor' is as worn out as the geo-centred universe.

You might be able to impress some of the locals with things like googling some stats to appear intelligent but I expect if you continue I might get told off . So leave it at something like telling me my mother wore army boots. If you can't read my lips try the bottom of my page because I mean it

Edited by silent

On Friday, December 02, 2016 at 3:39 PM, Suradit69 said:

Well the suicide rate in Florida, which has a high population of elderly retired, is around 8 per day.

And Thailand is nowhere near as bad as South Korea in suicides generally, but especially among the elderly.

suicide rates.png

The number of foreign men commiting suicide that have been long term staying here must be higher than most places..Who could you turn to Thaivisa hohoho.

Its a loneley place if your not paying for your company. Or you have been milked dry. Or the little Miss Different becomes the same as the rest.Or the bubble bursts 

Yes I know "its different for me stories" this is a pay as you go country you are paying in one way or another.

It can be a lonely place beware.

Chances are it was a mental issue brought on by ? probably Thailand

Its a shame whether 21 or 71 years of age.

39 minutes ago, Linden said:

The number of foreign men commiting suicide that have been long term staying here must be higher than most places..Who could you turn to Thaivisa hohoho.

Its a loneley place if your not paying for your company. Or you have been milked dry. Or the little Miss Different becomes the same as the rest.Or the bubble bursts 

Yes I know "its different for me stories" this is a pay as you go country you are paying in one way or another.

It can be a lonely place beware.

Chances are it was a mental issue brought on by ? probably Thailand

Its a shame whether 21 or 71 years of age.

Very insightful, sobering and realistic observation, but  the more I rethink it, the more I begin to suspect your describing the new human condition.....everywhere.

3 hours ago, johnhw said:

I like your Hawking quote, but prefer:

"It's not what you DON'T know that makes you a fool, it's what you DO know that aint so."

(too lazy to  'impress the locals' by Googling  its author to 'appear intelligent. ')

Well then ask yourself about self concept if it wasn't to impress by contradiction with graphics that you either collect if not google, but cannot accept the potential imperfection of all statistical information gathered for a specific purpose that even the person above apparently agrees you should be ashamed of yourself for not accepting it is a problem here because this is where we are and this Thai Visa.

I'm pleased you understand my intolerance for the provision of inaccurate information that is more useless than the people who are more interested in professing to be knowledgeable on a subject yet can't even grasp the real issue being addressed. Ok you've impressed me now, Give it a rest

On 12/2/2016 at 7:53 AM, stoneyboy said:

Sit at home with a bottle of pills and a bottle of whiskey, no one should be subjected to scraping expats off the deck because they're bored of life....

I agree with you - except that knowing what kind of pills to take is not easy. You could easily end up just brain damaged.

Obtaining the right kind of pills is not necessarily easy either.

Civilised societies should offer assisted suicide.

On 12/2/2016 at 8:39 AM, Suradit69 said:

suicide rates.png

It strikes me that far from it being shameful, elderly South Koreans might have the right idea.

It's quite rational and understandable that older folk may have had enough of life.

YOU - what would you do?

An average person with average means...

• Life deals you a bad deal, you acquire a terminal illness, Insurance impossible, Little money, homeland is overwhelmed with rules, cannot even fart in peace. Been away a long time, no ties, etc..
  • Had plenty of money, investments collapse, the inevitable is looming...
  • Your relationship falls apart, too old, see no future.
  • Depression takes over, you have had enough..
  • Chronic pain besets you, NOTHING alleviates it...
  • Alcohol/drug issues (Yes I know alcohol is a drug).
  • Name your  problem...

Life being what it is, some see the cup half full & some half empty.... On this board there are those, who, compared to many here, have extreme wealth.... Wealth is just another name for god - atheists figured this out long ago - most god worshippers NEVER will accept this FACT.

For many, no "god" (Money) - not worth continuing with life.

The people with less "grace" (Money), often are less well able to cope and make poor choices, suicide is one of these choices. This is NOT about whether it is right or wrong... There are compelling arguments on both sides - It simply is what it is.

My deepest condolences to the family of the deceased - if indeed he has one, his troubles are now over... It takes about 2.26 seconds to fall 50 metres (164 feet). For some (Note: "some"), it beats pills, hanging, drowning etc.. It simply is quick and mostly guarantees a quick painless death.

There is a proverb about walking in another persons shoes. You know that one don't you.....

9 hours ago, MalandLee said:

YOU - what would you do?

An average person with average means...

• Life deals you a bad deal, you acquire a terminal illness, Insurance impossible, Little money, homeland is overwhelmed with rules, cannot even fart in peace. Been away a long time, no ties, etc..
  • Had plenty of money, investments collapse, the inevitable is looming...
  • Your relationship falls apart, too old, see no future.
  • Depression takes over, you have had enough..
  • Chronic pain besets you, NOTHING alleviates it...
  • Alcohol/drug issues (Yes I know alcohol is a drug).
  • Name your  problem...

Life being what it is, some see the cup half full & some half empty.... On this board there are those, who, compared to many here, have extreme wealth.... Wealth is just another name for god - atheists figured this out long ago - most god worshippers NEVER will accept this FACT.

For many, no "god" (Money) - not worth continuing with life.

The people with less "grace" (Money), often are less well able to cope and make poor choices, suicide is one of these choices. This is NOT about whether it is right or wrong... There are compelling arguments on both sides - It simply is what it is.

My deepest condolences to the family of the deceased - if indeed he has one, his troubles are now over... It takes about 2.26 seconds to fall 50 metres (164 feet). For some (Note: "some"), it beats pills, hanging, drowning etc.. It simply is quick and mostly guarantees a quick painless death.

There is a proverb about walking in another persons shoes. You know that one don't you.....

Yes mate, many of us end up in a dark place, sometime in our lives. RIP to the French Guy 

On 02/12/2016 at 2:46 PM, williamgeorgeallen said:

thailand is a crazy place. many people who come here dont want to leave, me included. easy to get sucked into believing many things that are not true here and sobering up to the truth can lead to a big downfall. wonder if there are any support groups for  expats in need in thailand. seems there are plenty who require assistance.

Such support groups do exist indeed. I know of one in PTY, run by people from my native country

On 02/12/2016 at 7:23 PM, MRDave said:

Sorry but I don't buy this. I think there must be a lot murdered Westeners that have been put down as jumpers.

I think a check into any insurance policies or potential payout recipients would tell a more truthful story. The only problem is the Thai bib don't give a toss as its only another dead Farang.

It's irrelevant whether you "buy it" or not, there were witnesses who described not one single suspicious thing about the tragedy.

On 02/12/2016 at 11:56 AM, NanLaew said:

There was a (locally) unreported story about an old British guy hanging from the railing in Central Festival last week. He didn't jump but was not far from it.

Maybe mall management need to get the security guys at the entrances to do some profiling of the coffin dodgers. In the meantime, I have ordered my "I am a happy farang and promise not to jump" t-shirts (in Thai) to wear when I go shopping just in case I get profiled.

Hardly coffin dodgers! 

I really cannot comprehend how people here are surprised by suicides by middle-aged and elderly expats? When your body starts to shut down and your money starts to run out, what else do you have to live for? Why die a slow and miserable death of pain/poverty? The jumping is tragic because it involves innocent bystanders, but when one is at a point where they are turning their back on the world, why would they care about anyone else.  Support groups and support networks would be highly beneficial for those suffering from loneliness and depression, but there are some things that just cannot be fixed.