Bangkok is cheapest place in Southeast Asia that people actually want to visit: TripAdvisor

snoop1130

Bangkok is cheapest place in Southeast Asia that people actually want to visit: TripAdvisor

By Coconuts Bangkok

17150877136_2715f4f938_z.jpg

Photo: Fevzi Dintas/Flickr

According to research from TripAdvisor, Bangkok is the most budget-friendly place to spend a week-long vacation during the high season, which is now through the end of February.

Yesterday, the travel site named Bangkok as both inexpensive and desirable to travelers already living in Southeast Asia. The company took into account round-trip airfare from within the region, seven nights of hotel costs, meals three times daily and visiting some of the major attractions.

Of their top ten destinations, Bangkok came in at the lowest cost at just THB43,451 for the trip per person. Costwise, from second-cheapest to most expensive were: Cebu Island (Philippines) at THB45,868; Luzon (Philippines) at THB46,197; Boracay (Philippines) at THB52,352; Bali at THB48,957; Phuket at THB49,861; Singapore at THB59,661; Seoul at THB66,773, Hong Kong at THB66,482; and Tokyo at THB70,431.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/12/02/bangkok-cheapest-place-southeast-asia-people-actually-want-visit-tripadvisor

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-12-02

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Thechook said:

Bangkok definitely isn't cheap.

A capitol city where you can get a decent room downtown with A/C for $25, eat on the street for $2 and get a nice mango snack for $0.60?  And spend a great day gawking pretty much for free?

Edit: Sure, you can blow a big wad in BKK.  But you don't have to.

I always smile when I realize that I'm getting paid to be here...

Edited by impulse

The last couple months I've had 2 sets of friends come visit, and I hosted them around here and in close provinces to see the usual and some unusual sites and such.  I had a great time and it really is inexpensive, like the article says.  One set of my friends love comfort and were raving about their hotels here in BKK, where they got luxury treatment for under 150USD a night.  Great meals in very nice restaurants for under 20 bucks a person.  You have to look at it from their standpoint that in comparison to almost anywhere else they have travelled in the world (in comfort) that BKK won hands down.  It also helped that I love good restaurant experiences and took them to places that are really special but don't gouge you.

My other set of friends, while not backpackers, were just a little above that.  They also found great clean and friendly digs for about 50-60 bucks a night and just the same, lots of great meals for under 10 bucks each (if not a dollar or so in many cases) plus being able to see all the sites via BTS, taxis, my car :) etc.  

Sorry if I sound like a travel agent for TAT, but it was my first experience in going out 'like a tourist' in quite a few years and I had a really good time and felt proud showing off this city with so many things to do and so many friendly people.  

Tourists who don't know and tourists who are a little bit afraid can be forgiven for spending too much in Bangkok, many cities in SE Asia can be daunting at first glance to the inexperienced traveller or to those who have only travelled in "safe" and "familiar" countries before. So the likes of the Sheraton Radisson and Le Meridian do a roaring trade on the back of such people whose vacation bills are far higher than they otherwise might be. It is those same visitors who return home and tell everyone, including us on TVF, my but Thailand isn't cheap any more.

4 hours ago, Thechook said:

Bangkok definitely isn't cheap.

Well B600 a night is not bad.  If you like local, cheap eateries B50-70 a meal is a good value.  If you want western food, heard Pattaya is much better deal.  Never spent much time there.   It could be a good place for entrepreneurs if it were not for the draconian Thai laws regarding working, high import duties and general xenophobia . 

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

Tourists who don't know and tourists who are a little bit afraid can be forgiven for spending too much in Bangkok, many cities in SE Asia can be daunting at first glance to the inexperienced traveller or to those who have only travelled in "safe" and "familiar" countries before. So the likes of the Sheraton Radisson and Le Meridian do a roaring trade on the back of such people whose vacation bills are far higher than they otherwise might be. It is those same visitors who return home and tell everyone, including us on TVF, my but Thailand isn't cheap any more.

Yeah I'd agree.  Dig a little deeper and get just a bit off the beaten path and there are fabulous hotels for a quarter the price of the big name brands.  That's what I convinced my luxury oriented friends to do, find a nice place on the BTS line that was away from the tourist area and they got extraordinary deals for a fraction of the price.

I agree BKK has its attractions, and visitors don't have to spend a great deal to enjoy the city's entertainment on offer. But living there is a different story, and as far as Thailand is concerned almost anywhere else is preferable on all levels.

I lived in BKK for over a year, and eventually I had to leave to escape the noise, traffic, and pollution, and in most cases the unfriendliness of the people. Having experienced Pattaya, I realised that the relative sanity of Chiang Mai is a far better place to visit and to live.

39 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i am pretty sure pattaya is cheaper than bangkok. half the price for twice the fun as far as i can see.

Probably some truth in that statement, but the variety of things to do (and eat) in BKK is an order of magnitude above the variety in Pattaya.  If only BKK had a beach and some watersports...

And my perspective is skewed by the fact that I don't drink, and I don't chase women (already at my limit of 1).

I saw this in the Bangkok Post yesterday and the only reason Bangkok was number one in the list is because of the flight price, which is a variable depending upon where you live, therefore shouldn't really be included.

Excluding flights the Philippine destinations were cheaper, but no Cambodia or Vietnam cities in the list. Why?

As always, you can manipulate figures to read what you want them to. 

3 hours ago, impulse said:

A capitol city where you can get a decent room downtown with A/C for $25, eat on the street for $2 and get a nice mango snack for $0.60?  And spend a great day gawking pretty much for free?

Edit: Sure, you can blow a big wad in BKK.  But you don't have to.

I always smile when I realize that I'm getting paid to be here...

Totally agree with this. The best, most nutritious street food in Asia, the friendliest vendors, good travel infrastructure. My favourite too.

Just now, Maggusoil said:

Totally agree with this. The best, most nutritious street food in Asia, the friendliest vendors, good travel infrastructure. My favourite too.

I enjoy living in BKK, but give me the street food in Songkhla any day of the week.  Beyond the great (family oriented) beaches and street food, the list of other things to do in Songkhla is admittedly a little sparse.  BKK wins overall.

I tried to Google this research - which Coconuts has no link to, to look at the methodology, but couldn't find it. According to the comparison site 'Numbeo', Bangkok is one of the more expensive cities in Asia. My bet is that the That Trip Adviser didn't include alcohol costs which push Bangkok way up the price league. As most people like a drink or two on holiday, booze should be factored in. 

Edited by millwall_fan

People who think that because they get a deal in the USA at

hotels like Holiday Inn and Sheraton and the like do not know just

how expensive these places are in Bangkok.  checked the Holiday Inn

in Bangkok at 100 USA per night ,Sheraton on the river even more

It is sad that they can not ask friends about smaller places

like Nana for about 40 to 50 dollars , and Dynasty Inn for about the same

rate.  I agree that Pattaya is cheaper and a hotel called Beverly Hotel

for about 60 per night, a place in Jomtien at soi 4,  for 40 dollars Canadian

or 800 baht per night. Pattaya is still sin city, but is at the ocean while BKK

is not. In Pattya and Jomtien, wear your suntan lotion or you will suffer

in Bangkok put a bit on your nose and you will be fine. Pollution!

Geezer

I live in Thailand but travel frequently to the surrounding countries, been to Vietnam twice this year, last year was in Malaysia, Cambodia & Lao. In my opinion Thailand is the cheapest country in the region. I travel all over Thailand and know great little hotels I can stay for 500-600Bt a night, they have AC, cable, wifi. We eat great food and very cheap in Thailand....night markets, food courts, Isaan restaurants, Khao Tom restaurants.

But having said that I must admit as I've lived a long time in Thailand I know so many cheap, good value places to stay and eat at. In Thailand I have knowledge like a local, which obviously makes a huge difference.

40 minutes ago, madmitch said:

I saw this in the Bangkok Post yesterday and the only reason Bangkok was number one in the list is because of the flight price, which is a variable depending upon where you live, therefore shouldn't really be included.

Excluding flights the Philippine destinations were cheaper, but no Cambodia or Vietnam cities in the list. Why?

As always, you can manipulate figures to read what you want them to. 

Hotels are substantially more expensive in the Philippines vs Thailand. 

3 hours ago, tominbkk said:

The last couple months I've had 2 sets of friends come visit, and I hosted them around here and in close provinces to see the usual and some unusual sites and such.  I had a great time and it really is inexpensive, like the article says.  One set of my friends love comfort and were raving about their hotels here in BKK, where they got luxury treatment for under 150USD a night.  Great meals in very nice restaurants for under 20 bucks a person.  You have to look at it from their standpoint that in comparison to almost anywhere else they have travelled in the world (in comfort) that BKK won hands down.  It also helped that I love good restaurant experiences and took them to places that are really special but don't gouge you.

My other set of friends, while not backpackers, were just a little above that.  They also found great clean and friendly digs for about 50-60 bucks a night and just the same, lots of great meals for under 10 bucks each (if not a dollar or so in many cases) plus being able to see all the sites via BTS, taxis, my car :) etc.  

Sorry if I sound like a travel agent for TAT, but it was my first experience in going out 'like a tourist' in quite a few years and I had a really good time and felt proud showing off this city with so many things to do and so many friendly people.  

Well for $150 a night you'd get a top top of the line Hotel.

Go to Agoda and you can get anyone of 20-25 5 star hotels for $60 - $100. AND this includes breakfast!

Do a little research and you can save hundreds of dollars!

17 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

People who think that because they get a deal in the USA at

hotels like Holiday Inn and Sheraton and the like do not know just

how expensive these places are in Bangkok.  checked the Holiday Inn

in Bangkok at 100 USA per night ,Sheraton on the river even more

It is sad that they can not ask friends about smaller places

like Nana for about 40 to 50 dollars , and Dynasty Inn for about the same

rate.  I agree that Pattaya is cheaper and a hotel called Beverly Hotel

for about 60 per night, a place in Jomtien at soi 4,  for 40 dollars Canadian

or 800 baht per night. Pattaya is still sin city, but is at the ocean while BKK

is not. In Pattya and Jomtien, wear your suntan lotion or you will suffer

in Bangkok put a bit on your nose and you will be fine. Pollution!

Geezer

You can stay at the Holiday Inn Silom tonight for just over 2300TB, HI Express Sukhumvit for 2500, Holiday Inn Sukhumvit for 2700. Not bad considering the quality of these places. Yes, there are better deals but frequent travelers (like me) often pay a bit more for them because of their excellent loyalty programs. 

Cha-am Thailand... 2 Star 30 Sq/M unit in Cha-am for 1 month cost Bt 7000 + Bt1000 ( less for long term) for power and water and A/C, 14th floor great view.  Beautiful beach 100 metres. Restaurant meals and good Bt 200 Aus $7.50.  This nice room equals  $Aus 258. per month = Aus $8.50 a day .= Aussies and others can live for ever in comfort on aged pension.  This will include a few massages per week and other pleasures.  Beer in a bar Aus $2.  You can even include a small rental motor bike. 

Perth Australia... 2 star 30 Sq/M  unit ground floor looking into someones back yard 10 miles from beach, $3000 per/month = Aus $100 per day,  if you can find one.  Meals about $25 if you can find a restaurant that cheap.  Beer in a pub $8.  Massages $120.  Other pleasures none.  The choice is yours.     

Edited by David Walden

23 minutes ago, millwall_fan said:

I tried to Google this research - which Coconuts has no link to, to look at the methodology, but couldn't find it. According to the comparison site 'Numbeo', Bangkok is one of the more expensive cities in Asia. My bet is that the That Trip Adviser didn't include alcohol costs which push Bangkok way up the price league. As most people like a drink or two on holiday, booze should be factored in. 

4 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

Hotels are substantially more expensive in the Philippines vs Thailand. 

Check yesterday's Bangkok Post. Not allowed to link here. There you will see the breakdown. I can't remember what hotel prices were quoted in the Philippines but according to that breakdown my comment is correct.

31 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Check yesterday's Bangkok Post. Not allowed to link here. There you will see the breakdown. I can't remember what hotel prices were quoted in the Philippines but according to that breakdown my comment is correct.

Based on my real life travel experience, equivalent hotels always are, always have been more expensive in the Philippines. I posted Holiday Inn BKK rates above, lowest tonight 2300 TB. The lowest Holiday Inn rate in Manila tonight is 3400 TB (4800 pesos). It's always like that. 

Edited by ftpjtm