Craft Beer in Chiang Mai-Update Req'd

ctrunfree

Archers has Olde Speckled Hen on draught. Number 1 has bottled Blegian beers, Beer Republic has a pretty good range, but the absolute best place for craft beers is Namtons House Bar on Chiang Mai-Lamphun rd opposite the Gymkhana and close to the electric company offices. He's always got 8 to 10 draught craft beers from around the world. It aint cheap though, minimum 250 Baht a pint some are 350 Baht or more. Worth going for a treat though. The food is a bit iffy. 

Best for updates on the local red cup and brewing scene is Namtons House bar.. From them you may hear of 'my beer friend' keggers and he often has golden coin and other grey market kind of Thai brewers. 

Beer Lab / Beer republic / loads of others for imports.. And if only it was 2x the price of back home.. try as much as 4x.. 

19 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Stone head new batches out this weekend BTW.. Imports from the Cambodian factory.. Sweet Pea wheat well worth it. 

Just about same price as Weihenstephaner or more and brewed in Cambodia ?!

I guess it is down to lack of economies of scale on their pricing and some hefty import tax on it ?

For example Beer Laos 640ml is 40 Baht in Laos(1-month old and fresh) ...

and then in comparison 330ml is 58 Baht now in Thailand (6-month old and rancid)......

Such a pity as Beer Laos it is almost my perfect headache-free choice in SEA. Thai domestic beer is nightmarishly bad as are the 2-day wipe out hangovers.

Edited by freedomnow

6 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Just about same price as Weihenstephaner or more and brewed in Cambodia ?!

I guess it is down to lack of economies of scale on their pricing and some hefty import tax on it ?

Kind of misses the uphill fight that the little guy has against the entrenched families..  

Yes its hard to do.. yes by definition makes it hard to fight the established players.. But.. Do you want better ?? 

Golden coin are really pushing the quality price barrier, at least its in sight... 

I love a good fresh gold Beer Laos.. Just bought a few slabs back last week.. But none of the mainstream brewers are making a wheat or any other small batch attempts.. 

If you think its easy.. I just saw a (illegal) brewery for sale in chon buri.. Plant, tanks, all it takes to churn out a few 1000 liters a month.. 

I miss good selection of craft beer in the supermarkets here. In Pattaya Well's is available almost everywhere, 148 baht per bottle. My favourite is honey waggle dance. 

120102011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=4fea1

Edited by balo

On 12/3/2016 at 5:13 AM, LivinLOS said:

Best for updates on the local red cup and brewing scene is Namtons House bar.. From them you may hear of 'my beer friend' keggers and he often has golden coin and other grey market kind of Thai brewers. 

Beer Lab / Beer republic / loads of others for imports.. And if only it was 2x the price of back home.. try as much as 4x.. 

I myself rarely drink, but when I do, Beer Republic is where I like to go.  Roughly ฿260-340/500 ml. Looks like Namtons is about ฿320-380/500ml. Here in Los Angeles, the last place I had a beer was Umami Burger where a pint is $7 (+ tax and tip) making it about $9.  And that's just a burger place.

http://losangeles.menupages.com/restaurants/umami-burger-3/menu

looks like the prices are fairly comparable with the high end beer places in Chiang Mai being perhaps 10% more expensive.  You must have found one hell of a deal if you're drinking good beers for 1/4 the price of Chiang Mai.  

UK 2x large (I think they are 750 ml... the ones with the corks and foil tops like a champagne / wine) Leffe or 750 ml Hoegarden are a fiver.. 

Fiver these days in depreciating British Pesos is what ?? 220 baht ?? 110 baht per 750 ml.. 

I think it's just too overpriced in Thailand so I am not paying over 200 baht for a bottle.  Under 200  and enjoy the beer at home works for me.   You can also order from Wishbeer.com in Bangkok and free delivery over 2000 baht. Best selection in Thailand. 

Edited by balo

9 hours ago, balo said:

I think it's just too overpriced in Thailand so I am not paying over 200 baht for a bottle.  Under 200  and enjoy the beer at home works for me.   You can also order from Wishbeer.com in Bangkok and free delivery over 2000 baht. Best selection in Thailand. 

Wishbeer appears to be more expensive than Beer Republic in Chiang Mai.

for example, a 355ml fresh squeezed IPA is ฿216 for a 355ml bottle whereas at Beer Republic it is ฿280 for a 500ml draft.

https://www.wishbeer.com/en/ipa/122-deschutes-fresh-squeezed-ipa-355-ml-64.html

https://www.facebook.com/beerrepublicchiangmai/photos/a.428807777179755.98962.428110440582822/1255149471212244/?type=3&theater

57 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

All imported beer to LOS is a rip-off due to protectionist taxes...period.

Not true, if you buy at wholesale prices, it's not too bad. Coopers wholesales at 80 THB/bottle. The American craft imports aren't that much more expensive per bottle.

Wishbeer are selling wholesale quantities (i.e. cases) at retail/bar prices. It's a rip off.

I saw Wishbeer had one promotion - buy a case of Hoegaarden get a free glass. If I spent 5000+ THB on a case of beer,DELETED

Edited by seedy
Language

18 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

If you only drink beer and like quality beer in quantity....LOS is a recipe for sobriety unless you have a lot of $$$$$$$ at your back.

Which is why the brewing scene in mushrooming.. 

Lots of thai language discussion and experimentation.. Even now growing hops here.. Using bitter gourd for flavourings, all kinds of local items being tried.. Seems fun. 

58 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

Yes, but Coopers is tasteless, gassy, p**s.

Bit harsh! It's not Mikkeller's American Dream, or Brewdog's Hop Fiction, but it's a damn sight better than drinking Singha or Leo. 

5 minutes ago, keo said:

Bit harsh! It's not Mikkeller's American Dream, or Brewdog's Hop Fiction, but it's a damn sight better than drinking Singha or Leo. 

I'd actually choose Leo over Coopers - any of them - even the Coopers Stout (fizzy stout! simply awful).

9 hours ago, freedomnow said:

All imported beer to LOS is a rip-off due to protectionist taxes...period.

I know I'm being pedantic, but its the spiraling duty on beer as much as the  import taxes that has hit all booze prices in Thailand and starting to make the country expensive on cost comparison sites like Numbeo. You know you're being hit for 6 when you are asked to pay 1,020 Baht for Bombay Sapphire  in Makro and 300 Baht in Tachilek duty free! The government are making a killing.

25 minutes ago, millwall_fan said:

I know I'm being pedantic, but its the spiraling duty on beer as much as the  import taxes that has hit all booze prices in Thailand and starting to make the country expensive on cost comparison sites like Numbeo. You know you're being hit for 6 when you are asked to pay 1,020 Baht for Bombay Sapphire  in Makro and 300 Baht in Tachilek duty free! The government are making a killing.

Yep, they raised it as they say Thais drink too much..any excuse to hit an easy target....by comparison that Viet street beer is dirt cheap....don't Viets drink too much too ?!

Singha on par with Red Stripe cost back home now....though that is another MONSTER hangover beer.