Documents for retirement extension at Chaeng Watthana

17 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

That appears to be a requirement BUT if your on a long term visa or extension then some will open you an account. Kasikorn will do it on a long term visa with a bit of persuading but it's normally a minimum of 10,000Bt to open the account. Its a good account though with Internet banking and a Visa Debit ATM card. I see reports of Bangkok Bank not doing the Visa Debit card anymore but something else that hardly anybody accepts.

Must be something new then as like I wrote, I have opened 2 savings account in 2 different branches of BKK bank, both with debit cards and a choice of a chip or non-chip cards, during the last year as well as a term deposit very recently with no requirement for a work permit.

I remember years ago someone telling me the same thing about the need for a work permit to open any bank account in Thailand for farangs, and I told them then that it wasn't true. I assumed later that they meant opening up an account with a credit card where I know you do need a work permit (or massive min deposit). I've never had any problem opening savings accounts with debit cards without a work permit, having a retirement visa, in TMB, Citibank, Kasikorn and BKK bank and still hold those accounts and regularly start new Term deposits.

Edited by Card
Additional points

Just now, Card said:

Must be something new then as like I wrote, I have opened 2 savings account in 2 different branches of BKK bank, both with debit cards and a choice of a chip or non-chip cards, during the last year as well as a term deposit very recently with no requirement for a work permit.

I have had it myself along with lots of other people. There are an untold amount of posts about it. All he can do is keep trying different branches and banks until one will do it for him. I have no idea who started the work permit lark but as most banks ask for one then I assume it's from somewhere in the Banking Industry itself?

This is related, but slightly off from the main topic:

Can follow-on visas/extensions (terminology nazis please leave it alone if not technically "visa") be obtained for one's family (foreign spouse and child) at the same time as the retirement extension?

More specifically, would it be necessary to first go through the entire extension process, THEN queue again to use the newly stamped extension for purpose obtaining follow-ons for the family?  If so, it would result in a very long day(s) at CW given the snails-pace processing that miraculously accelerates just before "quittin' time"; more likely it couldn't even be completed in the same day.

Direct response from someone that has done it would be appreciated so I don't needlessly drag my family for many extra hours at the CW cattle waiting area.

2 hours ago, eppic said:

This is related, but slightly off from the main topic:

Can follow-on visas/extensions (terminology nazis please leave it alone if not technically "visa") be obtained for one's family (foreign spouse and child) at the same time as the retirement extension?

More specifically, would it be necessary to first go through the entire extension process, THEN queue again to use the newly stamped extension for purpose obtaining follow-ons for the family?  If so, it would result in a very long day(s) at CW given the snails-pace processing that miraculously accelerates just before "quittin' time"; more likely it couldn't even be completed in the same day.

Direct response from someone that has done it would be appreciated so I don't needlessly drag my family for many extra hours at the CW cattle waiting area.

You could submit their applications for their extensions as your dependents when you do yours but they would not be completed until your extension stamp is done so that a copy of it can be attached to them.

Do they already have non-o visas or a previous extension? 

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You could submit their applications for their extensions as your dependents when you do yours but they would not be completed until your extension stamp is done so that a copy of it can be attached to them.

Do they already have non-o visas or a previous extension? 

They already have extensions, but they were done months after mine and the process required many hours at CW (not fun with a small child), so I just wanted to be sure we could do the new extensions concurrently.  Sounds like we can, thanks for your always-helpful response.