Divorce

pilou

Hi

I did some research on the forum, but found nothing really relevant or helpful...

I am married to a Thai lady, and we have been separated for almost 9 years now. We hardly meet as every times it happens , it ends up in a fight...

I am now thinking about divorce, so far I was happy just being away from her.I still live in Thailand.

My problem is that we were married in France ( in 1987 ), and that I am almost never there. My wife lives in Thailand, with my 2 teenager sons.We have never filed our marriage in Thailand.

Is there any way a Thai lawyer can handle the case, as I know for sure my wife will never go back to France (it is a long and complicated process to divorce in France, it takes both time and money...)if I choose a French one.

All advices will be appreciated, thanks.

Pilou

I have no idea about French law, but I wanted (want) to divorce my husband (UK marriage, and he's UK citizen as well as me). Thai lawyers wouldn't touch it! Not their law. So, I got in touch with a UK lawyer (I phoned from LOS) "No, you have to have lived here for at least 6 months before starting proceedings". The upshot is I'm still married after 6 years separation & he doesn't want a divorce... :o:D

Try speaking to a lawyer, Thai law & French law may be more compatible. Good luck

Would it be possible for you to go back to France for awhile and then claim abandonment, that your wife left you and the marriage to go back to Thailand?

You may also be able to find a "sympathetic third country". It seems to me many Americans used to go to Mexico for a quick divorce. I'm guessing that married in any country makes your officially "married", and that divorced in any country makes you officially "divorced".

What you need is an official paper from somewhere that says you are "divorced". It may not need to be from France or Thailand.

:o

kenk3z

ken u are so wrong.... depending on what country u live in... i'm married in thailand but now have to jump thru a million hoops to get it registered in israel..... never assume anything.......hague countries are the only ones where this applies to ....

same same for divorce

bina and anon