Cameroonian woman arrested at Suvarnabhumi with fake visa

webfact

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I think you are supposed to apply in person at Embassies to obtain a visa, in this case it would appear she did not.

Giving a man $800 dollars to obtain it on her behalf should have raised a massive red flag.

Try living in some African countries where everything has to be done through agents (often officials won't want to bother having to show up at the office to meet you) and there are always extra "fees." Yes, you can try the legitimate way for what you are entitled to but you just won't get it.

I am not suggesting that American embassies are operating such a system but I have heard stories about even gaining access to embassies requires fixers and greasing palms to get through local "security" and other nonsense.

What this amounts to is that it would not appear unusual for a citizen of certain African countries to have to pay someone to get a visa (or any official paper) on her behalf and no red flag would have been raised, to use your metaphor.

Here's a list of all Thai embassies: http://www.thaiembassy.org/main/ You'll note that Cameroon does not appear. It seems to served by occasional visits from the embassy in Nigeria. What the story means, I believe, is that the visa stamp showed that the visa had been issued by the non-existent embassy in Cameroon. So to all of you ranting about corrupt embassy officials, calm down.

2 hours ago, dbrenn said:

You mean you've never seen a visa detection machine (VDM)? Here is a picture of one:

8a67cb17dbecff40048d4077f01ff0ab.jpg

Wow, the Thainess machine. Once a human body went through all the processes, it's full of Thainess. Thanks for the photo. Please say it out loud:

T H A I N E S S      Yep, you can do it too. 

1 hour ago, Dustdevil said:

Oh, darn, do you suppose anything else in Ghana is fake? I was just about to fall in love with that "mixed" sexy girl from Ghana whose mom is Ghanian and father is German working in Zimbabwe.

Nope, the guy from Zimbabwe went to Germany seeking Asylum. 

36 minutes ago, iforget said:

Here's a list of all Thai embassies: http://www.thaiembassy.org/main/ You'll note that Cameroon does not appear. It seems to served by occasional visits from the embassy in Nigeria. What the story means, I believe, is that the visa stamp showed that the visa had been issued by the non-existent embassy in Cameroon. So to all of you ranting about corrupt embassy officials, calm down.

Read the thread again and you'll see there is a mobile embassy there.

3 hours ago, CARBO said:

I'm a Cameroonian and apparently, there is no Thai embassy in Cameroon. I wonder where that is or what embassy they are talking about.

Sorry, this is wrong. Sience 2015 Thai Embassy organized Consular Mobile Unit in Cameroon.

4 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

The visa was then confirmed to be counterfeit after it was checked using a visa detection machine. - What is a visa detection machine? Does it have flashing lights and make beeping sounds?

Officials later found the visa was issued at the Thai Embassy in Cameroon. - If the visa was issued at the Thai embassy, then how can it be fake?

Maybe the visa wasn't "officially" issued at the embassy. Maybe a member of staff had access to the visa and "sold" it to her/a middle man for $ 800. 

Edited by djayz

49 minutes ago, iforget said:

Nigeria raises it's head again. Maybe she got a letter telling her she had been left 10 million dollars in a will from a Nigerian general living in Thailand and they needed her bank details to send her the money so she goes to check up on the story.

The British Embassy in Bangkok is staffed by many Thai people also. It's possible to pay a bribe to an "agent" to obtain a Brit visa which would otherwise be denied. I know people who've done it for their girlfriends.

Happens at the Australian embassy in BKK as well. So I am told by the Thai lady owner of a massage shop that I know in Aus. She uses the 'service' to get recruits for her shop. (A legit shop btw, you can't get extras there). Some of those recruits have managed to find an Aussie husband. Guess that possibility is the real attraction for the women who pay for said 'service'.

45 minutes ago, bheard said:

Happens at the Australian embassy in BKK as well. So I am told by the Thai lady owner of a massage shop that I know in Aus. She uses the 'service' to get recruits for her shop. (A legit shop btw, you can't get extras there). Some of those recruits have managed to find an Aussie husband. Guess that possibility is the real attraction for the women who pay for said 'service'.

I seriously doubt it.

3 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

I am sorry for my ignorance, but how can a visa issued by a Thai Embassy be fake? I thought that visas issued by an appropriate authority, which is an embassy or consulate, are proper visas.

Somebody who works there issues a fake visa and pockets the fee perhaps.

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

Nigeria raises it's head again. Maybe she got a letter telling her she had been left 10 million dollars in a will from a Nigerian general living in Thailand and they needed her bank details to send her the money so she goes to check up on the story.

And perhaps some white chocolate from Bogota for some Nigerian friends...:ph34r:

Obviously she didn't know they waived the visa FEE only.

Waiving the fee doesn't mean you are exempt from the visa requirements . Those need visa must apply as usual and the most in Africa get rejected hence that poor girl got ripped off by A local and Thai embassy official . 

Now let me ask this simple question , How on earth the VISA was issued by the Thai Embassy yet is counterfeit ? ??

The only answer is it is a real visa sticker that its serial number was not registered on the system withthe relevant passport particulars?

Need look no further than a bent official employed local by the Embassy (ie not thai). easy money ripping off a person or persons (we have no idea how many have been done and have got into Thailand on them) who are looking to better there cicumstances. Just the same as people rip of the so called boat people. I'm sure the Embassy now know who it was and have let his services go.

20 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I seriously doubt it.

Absolutely it does at the British Embassy in Bangkok, I know someone that did it last year, I think 30k Baht was the fee.

It's also possible to get the retirement extension without the 800k, for a similar "fee".

6 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

The visa was then confirmed to be counterfeit after it was checked using a visa detection machine. - What is a visa detection machine? Does it have flashing lights and make beeping sounds?

Officials later found the visa was issued at the Thai Embassy in Cameroon. - If the visa was issued at the Thai embassy, then how can it be fake?

Have you ever heard of the word theft. It was probably stolen and not went through the legal process. 

21 minutes ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Obviously she didn't know they waived the visa FEE only.

Waiving the fee doesn't mean you are exempt from the visa requirements . Those need visa must apply as usual and the most in Africa get rejected hence that poor girl got ripped off by A local and Thai embassy official . 

Now let me ask this simple question , How on earth the VISA was issued by the Thai Embassy yet is counterfeit ? ??

The only answer is it is a real visa sticker that its serial number was not registered on the system withthe relevant passport particulars?

Have you ever heard of the word theft.The visa was probably stolen at the Thai embassy  and not went through the legal process to register the serial number on the system.

6 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Maybe you don't know but all visas is being scanned into the system using a scanner to detect the serial number. Have you ever heard of the word theft.The visa was probably stolen at the Thai embassy  and not went through the legal process to register the serial number on the system.  

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

Absolutely it does at the British Embassy in Bangkok, I know someone that did it last year, I think 30k Baht was the fee.

It's also possible to get the retirement extension without the 800k, for a similar "fee".

Without going into any details at all 30k is a figure I am familiar with at the above mentioned Embassy