Turkey availability?

capt635

I believe imported frozen turkeys are still embargoed since last year.  I did see a few for sale at a local Bangkok supermarket around U.S. Thanksgiving in late November but close inspection of the tag revealed they were stock from 2 years ago and the price was almost B3000 for a 6kg bird .

Hotel suppliers like "Food, Glorious Food" may have them at their retail outlets but surely very expensive.

Till two years ago, I bought an imported turkey from the U.S. at Makro Bangkapi. 

Last year, I could not get one. So this year, I wrote an Email to them.

They replied just the Thai way, not the truth. For food safety reasons they will not sale turkey.

So, where concrete can get and buy a frozen turkey???

Plenty in Macro frozen and cooked also try Villa. there are a lot of smallish  frozen Thai turkeys around need to brine  them before roasting. all around 450 baht a kilo.

Thai Turkey is no comparison to US or UK Turkey , still ok but not great

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

If you can find Turkey, remember it i not a water bird but a land bird.

it is not like Duck or Goose, it does not have a layer of fat underneah it's skin..

Duks and Geese are water birds, they have a layer of fat underneath their skin that keeps then warm and waterproof.

That layer of fat keeps them moist and tasty when you roast them.

Turkeys do not have that layer of fat to  keep them moist when you roast  them.

So when roasting a Turkey you need to Baste it witn butter or  fat or it will come out to dry to eat.

4 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

Isn't Turkey an American only for Thanksgiving thing?

No we do it in Canada ,  Easter , thanksgiving and Christmas. Always a good family get together with all the fixings.  yum  one thing I miss.

Someone posted that Russian birds were being brought in. They were aged birds and need to be basted. One of the princesses has an interest in a turkey farm and her name appears on the package. Friend in BKK cooked 3 for Thanksgiving and said they were OK. Much simpler to do a Makro roast chicken or two for under 300 baht. Do the trimmings yourself and it will not cost much money Cooked ham is readily available at 350 baht a kilo. I think what one earlier poster meant was that only the Americans celebrate Thanksgiving. On the plus side I got my tree up today. Very difficult, if not impossible, to find lights this year. TIT

23 hours ago, akentryan said:

Someone posted that Russian birds were being brought in. They were aged birds and need to be basted. One of the princesses has an interest in a turkey farm and her name appears on the package. Friend in BKK cooked 3 for Thanksgiving and said they were OK. Much simpler to do a Makro roast chicken or two for under 300 baht. Do the trimmings yourself and it will not cost much money Cooked ham is readily available at 350 baht a kilo. I think what one earlier poster meant was that only the Americans celebrate Thanksgiving. On the plus side I got my tree up today. Very difficult, if not impossible, to find lights this year. TIT

Canadians also have a Thanksgiving holiday but in Oct

On 12/7/2016 at 0:55 PM, IMA_FARANG said:

If you can find Turkey, remember it i not a water bird but a land bird.

it is not like Duck or Goose, it does not have a layer of fat underneah it's skin..

Duks and Geese are water birds, they have a layer of fat underneath their skin that keeps then warm and waterproof.

That layer of fat keeps them moist and tasty when you roast them.

Turkeys do not have that layer of fat to  keep them moist when you roast  them.

So when roasting a Turkey you need to Baste it witn butter or  fat or it will come out to dry to eat.

Actually, US farm raised turkeys do have a lot of fat, a quick look at the bottom of the roasting pan when the bird is done confirms this. It is true that the breast portion is low in fat and needs to be covered with foil for half of the roasting time.  Basting is really unnecessary and can result in soggy skin.  Most people roast turkey at too high a temperature. Best results come when you preheat the oven to about 425 f., then turn it to 325 f. as soon as the bird is in.  This crisps the skin but the slow roasting preserves the juices.  It is also important to let the bird rest about 20 minutes after taking it out of the oven and before carving it.

The biggest problem I've had in Thailand with turkey is properly thawing a large 8kg bird a few years ago.  Poultry can be very hazardous if left in warm temperatures and thawing a bird outside of a fridge at the high temps here in Thailand is risky.  My fridge was too small for it so I had to ask the supermarket to hold it for me in their meat locker for 3 days while it thawed.  Explaining what I wanted wasn't easy but I eventually got them to understand.