Bird killing, gardener and location of KSK mall

Dean1953

I got back here yesterday for a quick 8 day trip to work on my house.  The main points of concern were the sprinkler system, the lawn and either renting it on my own (doubtful in 8 days) or finding a real estate agency that has good success. A member here recommended someone who does good work with sprinkler systems   He was here today and recommended several things, the most expensive being replacing the existing PVC piping with larger diameter ones to increase pressure to heads.  I did bring my own Hunter sprinkler heads, which he said were better than the Hunter heads here.  It will take him 3 days to finish and he said he would be done before I leave on the 13th.  Concerning the lawn and trees, without watering, except rain, for the last 18 months, it looks like the weeds have won.  I don't know if I should make an attempt to save the existing lawn or start all over, with a fresh covering of good dirt and sodding. Any suggestions?  Finally, I'll contact the agency recommended by several here, Perfect Homes, and see if they will stop by and give me an idea of a reasonable amount to ask for rent.  I forgot to mention one other problem; birds crapping all over.  In the past, I've tried a wooden owl to scare them (it didn't) and now am open to all suggestions, including using poison on them, as a final choice.  I'll be busy during the day but will check back at night to hopefully read positive suggestions.  Thanks in advance.

Edited by Dean1953
Addition to topic

Attempting to kills the birds with poison would be ineffective as new birds will just move in to replace the dead ones, and a really sad inhumane action. The birds are there because something is attracting them. This could be a food source, shelter or water. Remove these or limit there access to the same and they will move elsewhere, well maybe not all, but some will relocate. Figure why they are there, and then take a more direct and humane action...

ex: We have many small sparrows in the area that love to nest in our doubled roof overhangs. Closing these areas with a bit of wire mesh helps prevent them from nesting and making a mess.

Cheers!

If someone lives there, they could get the tubes of bottle rockets and shoot them  off as they come in to nest.   We have done that for several nights in a row and the birds quit nesting in our trees ...... until the next year.

I'll give a couple of those suggestions a try.  3 years ago, I put up a solar powered owl, whose head spin around once a minute.  That scared the birds for abou2 hours.  At least the house was thoroughly cleaned today and 4 months of bird crap and nesting have been removed. Between the sprinkler crew, who should start Saturday, and another crew that will trim the tops off of 11 teak trees and cut off most limbs, it should be a fairly busy next 4 days.  I'll be cleaning out the concrete drainage system next to the perimeter wall.  It's got 3-4 years of debris and leaves sitting in it.  Fun vacation!

Why would anyone want to poison birds? Poison is indiscriminate and will kill other wildlife including the more exotic birds and song birds. These birds probably have more  legal right to lay claim to the land and territory then the OP does.

One way to keep birds at bay is to place a couple of life size scarecrows in the garden. Place an old unwashed tee-shirt or jacket that has human scent on it, but please don`t kill these birds, it`s an evil thing to do.

I'll give a couple of those suggestions a try.  3 years ago, I put up a solar powered owl, whose head spin around once a minute.  That scared the birds for abou2 hours.  At least the house was thoroughly cleaned today and 4 months of bird crap and nesting have been removed. Between the sprinkler crew, who should start Saturday, and another crew that will trim the tops off of 11 teak trees and cut off most limbs, it should be a fairly busy next 4 days.  I'll be cleaning out the concrete drainage system next to the perimeter wall.  It's got 3-4 years of debris and leaves sitting in it.  Fun vacation!

OK, let me say it loud and clear that I won't be using poison to kill the birds, even as a last resort.  I don't think that a scarecrow on the ground is going to keep birds away from a second floor roof. Keeping poison on the roof would be dangerous to other wildlife 

I'll accept the fact that as long as house is empty, there will be bird problems.  I'll study up on how to get rid of birds safety when I go back to the U.S. on Tuesday. Rather than post another topic, I'll ask here if anyone knows of a product that I can buy that I can spray on gras on my patio and kill it?  Also, where can I buy it?  Thanks in advance