Looking for agents to sell Strawberries 'Up Country'

My wife has a Strawberry farm in Chiang Mai and produces berries grown following guidelines from Australia, Europe and North America. They taste nothing like the ones we are all used to in Thailand as they taste sweet. Most importantly, they are not toxic like most you will find.

Anyhoo, they are starting to come out in decent quantities now and she would like to make them available to people outside of the major cities. If anyone is interested in purchasing them at discounted rates in order to sell within their local market then please drop me a private message.

*Probably best if you are within reach of a regional airport as the down side to Strawberries is they don't have a long shelf life.

Do you also sell to consumers?

If the strawberries are sweet like what we have in Northern Europe, then I would be very interested (having a girlfriend who loves strawberries and who will occasionally spend a fortune on imported strawberries in Rimping, only to be disappointed).

I always thought the strawberries here were sour because of the climate.

Yes - we sell direct to consumers. Get your GF to contact the missus via her Villa Farm Facebook page or PM if you want her phone number.

You are correct - Strawberries in Thailand are small and sour because of the hot climate in the majority of the country, however, they can be large and sweet when grown correctly in the colder northern parts of the country.

One of the down sides to Strawberries is their short shelf life. They are often picked when they are not fully ripe in order to extend the shelf life a couple of days. As a result, they don't taste as sweet as they should (they do not ripen after being picked). I have no idea what growers from countries exporting to Thailand spray on them to keep them 'fresh' and I'd rather someone else test them to find out ;-)

Thanks, I found the facebook page, so planning to take my girlfriend there as a surprise.

Do you have a rough idea about how long you’ll be harvesting?

Season for the other berries you cultivate might also be nice to have on your Facebook page, assuming this is somewhat predictable.

I also suggest registering your business on Google Maps, it’s fairly simple, as you just place the marker on the map and then “claim this business”, they’ll send you a postcard to the address with a verification code, and then anyone can search Google Maps for Villa Farm (Chiang Mai) and get driving instructions (I think a lot of people use Google Maps for directions, I have no idea about how to use Facebook for directions on my phone, but then, I am not really a Facebook user).

Good point about transportation, that might explain why the imported strawberries from New Zealand are not what I would have expected them to grow there, just like buying imported mangos back home is a big disappointment.

Thanks for the tip about Google Maps - I have claimed the business and will verify when the postcard arrives.

We only started picking less than a week ago so we expect to have fruit until around the second week in January and then a second harvest from February to April. Best to let me know when you are planning to turn up as other farms sometimes buy up all the crop first thing in the morning.

Edited by DumbFalang

few years ago, I was in a camping tour trip to chiangmai,

in the itinerary we camped 2 nights at doi ankhan, we went around visiting strawberry farms etc,,

coming to the point, when we dropped by a farm in that hill area, most of us rushed to invade the field,, then started tasting the strawberries directly from the trees !!!, most of the fruits are not  complete reddish, half red and other more likely to yellowish,, but tasted so amazing sweet, never had like that taste around in bkk. this is my personal experience 3 or 4 years ago,