Why everything cost more?

pattayalover

6 hours ago, 12DrinkMore said:

In 100 years we'll be the robots will have robbed us of all the jobs.

I doubt it will take 100 years; it's happening now. Look how many factory jobs are robotized now. Several years ago, I visited a Ford Mustang plant where a union punch-press worker was making $28/hour lifting a sheet of metal off a pile, placing it into a press, and hitting the button. What skill did that man have? Robots themselves are not robbing us of jobs, we are robbing ourselves by stagnation of our skills. However, the continued development of robots with artificial intelligence is going to be the end of us. Even without robots or AI, we are destined to cancel ourselves out if we do not continue to learn new skills. If someone can proceduralize your job—write it down, step by step—you can be replaced by anybody who can read. If your job can be learned in a few weeks, you can be replaced by someone with only a few weeks of experience. If your job doesn’t require a skill most people do not have; you will be replaced by someone with less experience and lower salary requirements. A good buddy of mine died a couple of years ago; he had spent the last 20 years of his life being miserable in menial jobs; like a greeter at Walmart, because he had no marketable skills. He had worked for a large warehousing company in the States for 30 years driving a fork-lift. They laid him off at 48 years of age—replaced by a snotty-nosed kid who could also drive a fork-lift and did not claim 30 years of one-month’s worth of experience and the senority pay to go with it.  Think how many previously expat jobs are now being done by locals. And don't bring out that old buggy-boo about Western workers are better—individuals who are not specialized artisans do not single-handedly create reliable products and services; training, equipment, resources, supervision, quality control, and standard procedures do

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if you are skilled they can always find someone willing to work for lower wage to a point that some workers now pay their boss for experience

In many countries I see guys working interim at 0 dollar and going from one job to another job with no income. Even some boss ask them to go on social benefit and work black.

It s not about being skilled, It s about fairness and not be an #&*@ of a boss

There are just too many bad companies who profit of people. We should stop that. What Thai people would say if I hire staff and I say they are lucky to work for free for me . After working for me they can apply for MARIOTT and become a manager. In my company they would gain so much experience .... (kind of bs but people belive in bs)

They don't want you to make any money at all, you have barely the right to survive or they will buy automat to get rid of you (just blackmail) . Many have now 2 or 3 jobs. In the past they said if you work hard you will succeed. OK many want work hard but to work hard you need a work. It has nothing to do with skills but to transform you like a slave, before when a slave complained, they just hit him until he obeys . Now they send people to a federal jail until they obey.

Nothing has changed in 200 years , we go back in a slavery time called now modern slavery and our politicians think it s ok to let fed to Controll us.

I hope Trump will say enough is enough. He could create a new dollar, the people dollar.( the PD) Money created by the government only for his citizen.

2 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

Some nice guest houses in Patts, Chiang Mai etc, for 7-8 thousand Baht for a single month, or 5-6 thousand Baht PM for a full year.

I am in complete agreement that sex robots will damage the Patts economy.

Female-robot.jpg

555 sex robots will damage the economy how's that then? .People come to pattaya to get there rocks of no problem there there not stepping on anyone's toes. They rent a room or a hotel room so there's money going into the Pattaya economy straight away. They buy beer and food again money going into the pattaya economy. The find a bird pay for sex the bird buys new clothes and other stuff for herself from her wages from him monetbgoing into the Pattaya economy.  So how will they damage the Pattaya economy. If they didn't come to Pattaya looking for sex then that would damage the Pattaya economy.

Edited by Deepinthailand

22 hours ago, onthesoi said:

The west is becoming poorer while Asia is becoming richer.

The last half of the 20th century will seem like a wild party for rich kids, compared to what’s coming now. The party’s over, folks. . .

Hunter S. Thompson

I think the resources are here to last way into the future, but greed is raising its ugly head and will lead to many wars and catastrophes in the near future.  If we lived on vegetables and grains alone we could feed the world with less 1/2 the land we grow on today. Don't repeat that in front of the livestock industry or you may turn up missing.

• Need to make 5000 baht.  only of 50% customers now selling same as the next place, so double price to make up for it and have no customers as a result.
  • Exchange rate is a given.
  • Drink driving people won't risk it, so go to local mom & pop stores instead
  • Cook at home where you can control the result and have more idea of what is in it for less (better quality and lower price).
  • Bored of unthinking cat calls about short time and would rather take a road less travelled to avoid.

Many more reasons if needed, but those alone would cripple an expensive rent, expensive location, expensive product that often cuts back on quality to maintain a price.

Conversely, if you see a good Thai restaurant full of Thais with excellent service and moderate prices and always full, they're still making a killing by volume rather than price.

17 hours ago, Nowisee said:

paying 50 baht more for a hotel depends on the original cost, a direct reflection of % of price increase.  50 on a 300 baht or 50 baht on a 1500 baht.
i'm not concerned about the relationship of price increase to salary increase, but more about cost to value ratio if that can applies here.

jumping forward 20 years assuming you will be sleeping outside is assuming no increase in your retirement or decrease in your rate of return.

your delving into a deep topic about cost per year, way to much ADD to go there.

why book hotel with cold shower?  just book cheaper hotel.  if you pay more you are sending the message you are ok with price increase.  ever hear of the concept, pay with your feet?  go to another place, another town, city, country.  

1000 year projection, maybe your pissed... hahaha.  better to assume earth is destroyed.

Stephen Hawkins, the world renowned physicist, predicts exactly that. Over 1000 years there will be no more earth. Get off while you still can.:smile:

I see small towns with nice Tesco and big shops. How people can buy all these nice things? Salary didn't increase these last 10 years. How people get cars, houses? How will they pay back loans with their low salary? Seems to me they all live the american dream and not knowing what will happen to them soon. I explained to my gf one day it s time for pay back and this is why so many chose to kill themselves.

I explained it s better to keep a low profile and live with less than you earn and stay away from these banks. Always keep enough cash for the unexpected. I think China will cause big problems to Thailand. They are invading Thailand little by little and don't give a toss about poverty.

Many things look nice like the bts and new roads and shops but who fit the bill at the end? We can not afford the American dream anymore, it has been a dream for all and just an illusion that financially is impossible (earth size is not infinite ) but apparently the Thai found the magic potion.

4 minutes ago, pattayalover said:

I see small town with nice Tesco and big shops. How people can buy all these nice things? Salary didn't increase these last 10 years. How people get cars, houses? How will they pay back with their low salary? Seems to me they all live the american dream and not knowing what will happen to them soon. I explained to my gf one day it s time for pay back and this is why so many chose to kill themselves.

I explained it s better to keep a low profile and live with less than you earn and stay away from these banks. Always keep enough cash for the unexpected. I think China will cause big problems to Thailand. They are invading Thailand little by little and don't give a toss about poverty.

Many things look nice like the bts and new roads and shops but who fit the bill at the end? We can not afford the American dream anymore, it has been a dream for all and just an illusion that financially is impossible (earth size is not infinite ) but apparently the Thai found the magic potion.

I don't want to screw up your whole premise but salaries have increased greatly in the last 10 years. Even for field workers. 10 years ago they were making 100 baht a day, now 300, if you can find the help. My wife has a friend working as a maid in Bkk - she was making maybe 8,000 a month - now she has 2 part time jobs and is making 24,000 a month... 

If you think people have no money, the last time I saw the skytrain in Bkk it was packed with people, all day and into the night. Business seemed to be booming. 

But yes, I agree with you that it is wise to live beneath your means. And I have thought for many years that Americans are not living any great dream. So many homeless, the middle class is shrinking and stressed. 

On 12/7/2016 at 10:05 PM, billd766 said:

At 72 I figure that I wont be around in 100 years so I wont worry about it, and in 1,000 years time it wont matter anyway.

Hence the reason old white men vote Brexit/Trump.

2 hours ago, pattayalover said:

I see small towns with nice Tesco and big shops. How people can buy all these nice things? Salary didn't increase these last 10 years. How people get cars, houses? How will they pay back loans with their low salary? Seems to me they all live the american dream and not knowing what will happen to them soon. I explained to my gf one day it s time for pay back and this is why so many chose to kill themselves.

How dare brown people live the life of whites.

I agree!

I don't think people can afford all these things. Going from 8k to 24k is strange.
My gf make 9k 8 years ago, now she got 10 or 11k. Still not enough to buy a car and a house, she could if she wanted but it would be a disaster with lot of stress.
Years ago they offered 100k discount on a new car and government never paid back. Many sold their car second hand and lost their money. I see people riding scooter again and going home in isaan. I think they can not pay back interest on their loans.
Something fishy in Thailand. Soon people will wake up and smell the coffee. They will experience a sub prime crisis. Now they even travel with planes. 7 years ago there were no low cost airlines. Who pay for all these nice airports. Don muang, upatao...? And now new fast trains project.
Thailand is slowly invaded by China and one day I think they will ask for their money back or they will take land and ports. As you know Thailand, they don't like to sell land to foreigners so fight will happen here.

10 hours ago, naboo said:

Hence the reason old white men vote Brexit/Trump.

How did you manage to come to that conclusion all on your own?

FYI I also voted to join the Common Market as I though it was a good idea and I still think that the Common market is a good idea.

OTOH  the EU is NOT what I  nor millions of voters in many EU countries that were in the original Common Market voted for. Noe of us voted to place many thousands of unelected bureaucrats in a position to be able to dictate policies and overrule sovereign governments in independent countries.

YOU might prefer it that way but in the UK this year over 17 million voters didnt like it, and voted to leave.

There is no point in arguing that many people didnt vote because that had the right and opportunity to do so. That they didnt is their own fault and not anybody elses.