Low Salt Thailand aims to cut national salt intake by 30%

webfact

Low Salt Thailand aims to cut national salt intake by 30%

BANGKOK, 9 December 2016 (NNT) - The Low Salt Thailand Network has collaborated with the Thai Health Promotion Foundation (ThaiHealth) to urge Thai people to reduce salt intake after they found that Thailand is ranked third in ASEAN for most patients with a kidney disease. 

The network has set a goal to reduce the national intake of salt by 30% in accordance with the World Health Organization since 60% of Thai people died of a heart diseases and stroke each year. One of the causes of these diseases is eating too much salt. 

President of the Nephrology Society of Thailand M.D. Kriangsak Warisangthip said the kidney disease was a global health priority and Thailand was the third ASEAN country with the most patients with a kidney disease. Not many people knew that they had a kidney disease until the symptoms became severe, said the doctor. 

Patients with a kidney disease needed continuous treatment which was expensive, the doctor said. This is the reason why many of them have not received treatment and died. 

The Low Salt Thailand Network recommends that people avoid fast food, frozen food and semi-instant food and get a medical checkup every year. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-12-09

The food labels here in Thailand are a true joke Salt is listed in grams on total volume How the hell can someone figure out 

how much salt is in a product they would like to eat

This has to change so people can truly figure out salt content Wonder if CP will support the change 

8 hours ago, thai3 said:

why do they put salt and sugar into food here? I always ask for neither, they often still put salt in though, they know best!  

You might as well wish for time to stand still :D - they probably assume you mean extra 

25 minutes ago, BSJ said:

" in accordance with the World Health Organization since 60% of Thai people died of a heart diseases and stroke each year. "  It's a wonder there are any left living!

The ones that are left, are usually victims of a Car or Bus Crash.......

I am curious to know if as a farang , who sweats a lot in this hot climate , should be replacing their loss of body salt by including it in their diet . The only time I take salt is when I have fish and chips , gotta be done . I once suffered salt deficiency when working all night in extreme heat  above a hospital boiler . I was given salt water to drink by a doctor    

8 hours ago, robertthebruce said:

Standard for me...

no Salt, No Sugar, No Syrup, No Soy Sauce,  and don't fry my food....

it makes me laugh when People say "Thai Food" is,healthy ??? yes Right...

It is

Before its cooked  :cheesy:

"The Low Salt Thailand Network has collaborated with the Thai Health Promotion Foundation (ThaiHealth) to

Urge..."

If urging did any good, Thailand would be trouble free.  How about nutritional classes for school children and their parents? Limiting salt and sugar in school lunches and substituting healthier and fresher alternatives? Manufacturing and promoting low salt fish sauce? Showing healthy kids on TV shows and commercials as being the desirable standard instead of overweight, lazy, and entitled children?

There are many things the government can do. I doesn't mean they will be successful, gut they can't do any worse than urging.

22 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

The food labels here in Thailand are a true joke Salt is listed in grams on total volume How the hell can someone figure out 

how much salt is in a product they would like to eat

This has to change so people can truly figure out salt content Wonder if CP will support the change 

How about "natural" yogurt. Then when I got home, I found out it was loaded with sugar. When I went back to the supermarket, I asked why it stated "natural" and still had so much sugar. I was told.."Yes. Natural with sugar". I was informed later that food containing sugar is a given. It is not considered as an additive. It is "natural" for foods to contain sugar and salt. 

Good luck in changing the Thai mindset as far as nutrition goes.

Edited by jaltsc

22 hours ago, brain150 said:

Reduce sugar by 100% and all health problems are gone.

Table salt should be made illegal and replaced with real salt [the stuff that still has all the minerals that make salt healthy]

It wouldn't make any difference. It's the sodium, and not the lack of  minerals that makes salt unhealthy. It would be like asking to have natural spring water in your Scotch and water. You'd still be getting the same amount of destructive alcohol. 

24 minutes ago, jaltsc said:

It wouldn't make any difference. It's the sodium, and not the lack of  minerals that makes salt unhealthy. It would be like asking to have natural spring water in your Scotch and water. You'd still be getting the same amount of destructive alcohol. 

Dont say Destructive Alchol, it's for Medicinal Purposes for me....

with Ice of Course....

41 minutes ago, jaltsc said:

"The Low Salt Thailand Network has collaborated with the Thai Health Promotion Foundation (ThaiHealth) to

Urge..."

If urging did any good, Thailand would be trouble free.  How about nutritional classes for school children and their parents? Limiting salt and sugar in school lunches and substituting healthier and fresher alternatives? Manufacturing and promoting low salt fish sauce? Showing healthy kids on TV shows and commercials as being the desirable standard instead of overweight, lazy, and entitled children?

There are many things the government can do. I doesn't mean they will be successful, gut they can't do any worse than urging.

34 minutes ago, jaltsc said:

I am curious to know if as a farang , who sweats a lot in this hot climate , should be replacing their loss of body salt by including it in their diet . The only time I take salt is when I have fish and chips , gotta be done . I once suffered salt deficiency when working all night in extreme heat  above a hospital boiler . I was given salt water to drink by a doctor    

I could not help noticing that your title JALTSC is in fact part anagram of SALT , gotta  think you are well informed ,  just saying

2 hours ago, jaltsc said:

Interesting opinion ...

You might want to get some more info on the affect of Minerals to your immune system.

You might also learn something about minerals in salt or why sea salt or "pink" salt is so much different and as such so much more healthy than the really unhealthy "white" table salt.

Just as a side note: Cancer patients and many other diseases are treated successfully by simply adding high amounts of minerals to their diets [well kept secret in the "health"-industry !]

Salt is not the problem ! Table salt is [because all the minerals are taken out of it] !

15 hours ago, Torrens54 said:

For 30+ years I've seen Thai heaping on the SALT... some Hotels even serve Orange Juice with a SALT TRIM around the top of the glass.

"....some Hotels even serve Orange Juice with a SALT TRIM around the top of the glass."

Some bars even serve a Margarita with salt around the rim of the glass..     Imagine that.   Salud!  :sick:

'The Low Salt Thailand Network recommends that people avoid fast food, frozen food and semi-instant food and get a medical checkup every year. '

Of course, The above news is to be taken with a grain of salt. My condiments to the Low Salt Thailand Network for taking this stand.

Goodbye McDonalds, KFC, Burger King, just about any food sold by 7-11,  Mama and other Instant Noodles and practically everything cooked by Thais on the street and in Thai  restaurants. And to those who know, bread,  Marmite, Vegemite and Bovril.

Salt was once a valued mineral hence the word "salary - sal dare - " and the saying "A man worth his salt", and "to be seated above the salt" denoted status.

Edited by ratcatcher

16 hours ago, superal said:

You need not just salt (sodium), but also potassium, magnesium and perhaps some calcium. If you search for various recipes for "homemade electrolyte", you will see some common and simple ingredients.  The trick is getting the correct proportions.  Also, some compounds containing these basic elements are more gently on the body that others.  Formulas for children are slightly different than for those over age 12.  But with some research and scrounging, you can make something as effective as the expensive sports drinks/pills for pennies on the dollar.

My son was hospitalized for several days in U.S. Marine Corps training during extreme hot weather.  They neglected to salt the water during field exercises and the chow hall food was probably not overly salty, resulting in Hyponatremia .  Very dangerous.