Back To Back Tourist Visa Pt 2

Since this effects alot of folks Im starting a another thread to deal with reality and not speculation on tourist visas as Im jammed up with this right now,,,Not trying to be a smart ass just trying keep it real and not inflamitory..........

Recently at the consulate in Vientiane I was called aside and told this is your last tourist visa...... I had been living on tourist visas for two years as Im to young for a retirement visa,,, I am retired and have documentation to prove this... I was caught off gaurd and briefly went into shock,,,, Then I asked what I had done and was told basicaly the computer flagged me... I asked what I could do and was told I needed 200,000 baht in a thai bank to which I replied I was told I couldnt open a bank account on a tourist visa... I then said I planned to be married in a few months and was told if married I needed 375,000 baht for a tourist visa... I begain to ask many more questions and was realy making the lady mad when I finaly said,,, Im sorry but Im just trying to understand what I can do here as this effects many people,,, Girlfriend, Housemade, Som Tam Lady, Landlord, Niegbors, and my Dog,,, Who all depend on me for all or part of their income... No housemade,,, No paycheck,,, No shoes and rice for her kids to go to school and no more free English lessons.... She calmed down and I got a little more cool headed... Finaly I was told I could go to the U.S. Embassy and for around 50 dollars I could get a letter stating I had income and bring it in all would be Ok... I will know the end of this story by the first of june..........

Source http://www.thaiimmigration.com/inv/index.p...wtopic=53&st=15

To our best knowledge the regulative saying “3 consecutive entries = 6 months out” has never and are NOT going to be enforced. That’s NOT what we are saying. (It’s very unlikely it ever will be, because why should we limit tourists from coming and spend money in Thailand?)

What is going to be implemented, and now everybody please read carefully, is following:

In cases where we find reason to be suspicious about people’s whereabouts and way of financing their stay in Thailand, we will, very politely and nice, ask people about it, and maybe request to see some evidence in that regard.

And you don’t need to bring your accountant and/or your last 10 years of accountants work with you in the regard of evidence. If you’re here as a genuine tourist, you will surely have some ATM/Credit Card receipts in your wallet. Show them to the officer together with the cards and you’re done. The name in the passport match the card(s), the card(s) match the receipts, and the receipts show money are drawn from abroad. That’s it. The check will then take less than 15 seconds. And it’s only performed if the Immigration officer has reason to be suspicious.

We are clearly saying “in a not to far away future”. It isn’t implemented yet. We don’t have the equipment yet at all Immigration checkpoints. But if everything goes with the present speed, it’ll be up and running within this year.

Why is it implemented? It’s illegal to work in Thailand on a tourist visa, but even so many foreigners are doing it and have been doing so for years.

Why do you think for example foreign teachers are getting so poorly paid in Thailand, as many are complaining about they are? Because the cue of desperate foreigners without proper funds and/or papers to stay and support a living in Thailand, and therefore is willing to work for small money, is quite long. Is that fair to foreigners staying and living legally here, having all the hassle providing the right papers to do so? Is it fair to Thailand that these people don’t pay taxes? Is it fair to anybody else than those taking advantage of this situation? Is it so bad that we are trying to clean up a little?

So please, if you one day should get stopped and asked a few questions, don’t get offended, but understand that we are just asking for your help to make Thailand an even better place for law obeying foreigners to stay in.

Why we are promoting it now is because we don’t want to catch anybody when time comes. We want to give people staying here a fair chance of getting things straight, so that they suddenly don’t get a shock getting caught and have to leave wife, children, and whatever else they might have in Thailand within 5 to 10 days. We do not wish that to happen to anybody. On the other hand Immigration is a police force, and it’s our job to secure that people obey our laws if they want to stay here. Please understand that.

Please everybody; don’t make it more difficult or complicated than it is. There is absolutely no reason for that.

So now you have it... looks like it’s easy unless you are a teacher working illegal.

The writing is on the wall, they are going after the people working illegal. If you are a tourist and get your money from overseas, Thailand loves you.

www.sunbeltasia.com

The writing is on the wall, they are going after the people working illegal. If you are a tourist and get your money from overseas, Thailand loves you.

www.sunbeltasia.com

""so now you have it .. looks like its easy unless you are a teacher working illegal"" lets hope this is the case , then most of us will have no problems :o

Interestingly enough, I have a British friend who works in the UK for 7-8 months a year and then spends the rest of his time in Thailand. He was asked to show proof of income in the UK by the Thai Embassy in London when applying for a tourist visa several years ago. He showed regular deposits to his UK bank account and was granted a visa. He must have had something put on the computer because he has had no further problems. Seems this regulation has always been in place, just up to the individual immigration officer about enforcement.

Just a question about proving that you have transferred funds to Thailand. I have lived here for quite a few months now. Only on tourist visa. I have only used my ATM though. And I have withdrawn more than 40.000 per month. I have mostly used Siam Commercial and Thai Farmers. Is it possible for me to get some documentation from them to prove this?

Thanks.

Just a question about proving that you have transferred funds to Thailand. I have lived here for quite a few months now. Only on tourist visa. I have only used my ATM though. And I have withdrawn more than 40.000 per month. I have mostly used Siam Commercial and Thai Farmers. Is it possible for me to get some documentation from them to prove this?

The way I understand it, they don't care which bank you use. The ATM receipt will show it came from your different bank account where your money is kept. Thaiimmigration.com says they will smile and send you on the way when they see the ATM slips. Sounds easy unless you are working here without a work permit.

www.sunbeltasia.com

To our best knowledge the regulative saying “3 consecutive entries = 6 months out” has never and are NOT going to be enforced. That’s NOT what we are saying. (It’s very unlikely it ever will be, because why should we limit tourists from coming and spend money in Thailand?)

Uh oh Dr. Pat Pong... :o

But as I said: I don't have a Thai bank account. Just used my overseas bank. Can I prove this in any way?

:o As has been said : Keep the receipts, small bit of paper that comes out of the machine before you take your card.

Thanks Sunbelt. But as I said: I don't have a Thai bank account. Just used my overseas bank. Can I prove this in any way?

As Sunbelt says the atm receipt will show the bank account number of your home bank (a Thai bank would be 10 numbers but overseas seems to be 19 numbers) so they can tell by this. It also has the date of transaction on it. Put it in your wallet with your atm cards. You may also want to carry a bank statement from your home bank showing account is in your name; or a checkbook. Only those suspected of working here without a work permit are targets so you should not have a problem.

Uh oh Dr. Pat Pong... :o

Only time will tell CMT. The left hand keeps secrets from the right hand in the Immigration offices, and the rules vary from place to place too.

As regards the back-to-back rule, I understand it is there "just in case" they want to ditch someone, for any reason.

That being said, I was presented with this rule at the Thai embassy in Singapore two years ago. I dressed politely, spoke gently, smiled and made no hassle. Yet, the officer was thoroughly unimpressed and said "No more 60-day tourist visas for you. You will get thirty days when you fly back". Maybe I dressed TOO politely...? :o

I also understand the Thai embassy in Singapore has a reputation for being difficult.

if i am bringing on arrival 9999 $ cash

it is for 10 month

do i have to prove to some one?

i am not using ATM only cash

You will definetly need $10.000 !!! -or you will be arrested on arrival.

A letter from your father stating that you do not intend to work in Thailand might help...

Some posts are just too ###### fUkkIng clever to reply to!!

I was presented with this rule at the Thai embassy in Singapore two years ago. I dressed politely, spoke gently, smiled and made no hassle. Yet, the officer was thoroughly unimpressed and said "No more 60-day tourist visas for you. You will get thirty days when you fly back". Maybe I dressed TOO politely...? :D

I also understand the Thai embassy in Singapore has a reputation for being difficult.

You are being too polite again... :o

Immigration at Udon hospital (1 year extension) were not impressed by ATM withdrawals and receipts. I think that the rules will change on the day at each immigration office depending on the weather and the mood of the officer.

Immigration at Udon hospital (1 year extension) were not impressed by ATM withdrawals

Nobody has said they would be. This is about back-to-back tourist visas. To prove you have spent money during your previous stay the ATM slips can be used at a border crossing. They are not normally acceptable for income/bank deposit extension of stay requirements.

We are still discussing too many ifs and whens.

The way I understand it, Thailand does not really want to get rid of tourists :o

If somebody, however, enters three times back-to-back, they will ask questions where you got your money from. You explain that it comes from abroad, and you should be ok, resp. the immigration officer should (not will) be satisfied. Their main objection would be illegal working in the country. To show your money comes from abroad, one way is to show your ATM-receipts. Cash might be dubious, may be you earned it by illegally working in Thailand before going on a visa-run.

Interesting enough, their is a parallel post today on Schengen Visas, where somebody said, "if you run a proper business or are properly employed, you don't have time to make 3 months holiday".

Sounds to me to be harsher.

I will be going to the U.S. Embassy to get my letter stating Im not broke and have a U.S. income to show the Thai Consulate... Does anyone have any experiance with this??? Does the British Embassy have A letter like this???

I have no real information one way or the other on the topic of an increasing trend toward restricting continued persistence of individuals in Thailand who do not meet qualifications for legal non-immigrant status.

It does seem clear that Immigration's technical ability to screen individual names, passport number, and border-crossing history are continually being upgraded.

Capabilities and Intentions are two different things. Once a capability is created (which can take a long time), all it takes to implement new procedures is a new intention. Intentions can change very quickly.

What I am concerned about is references to the www.thaiimmigration.com website as being any sort of "official" voice of Thai authorities. I have no reason to believe that this site is produced by Thais, or is in any way endorsed by Thai Immigration - it is just some chatty folks of uncertain nationality (Danish?) posting their personal impressions.

Does anyone know different? I think it's the height of folly to believe anything on that site, just because it uses a domain name that seems to suggest it is an official Thai government site. It is NOT an official site.

Steve

Indo-Siam

I have no reason to believe that this site is...in any way endorsed by Thai Immigration

Here's a reason. Clicking "English Version" on www.nongkhaiimmigration.com brings you to the home page of thaiimmigration.com. Both of these sites are furthermore directly linked from the www.police.go.th site.

Coder -

I see no such link at www.police.go.th - at least not on the English home page. But - maybe I'm just dense - please tell me where to look at www.police.go.th, to see this supposed link.

The English page does show many "reciprocal links" - which in web-speak simply means that webmasters agree to post links to each other's sites - not necessarily endorsing each other, but just to climb up in search engine rankings. Reciprocal links can typically be inserted by webmasters - without a site's real proponent even being aware of that fact.

As for the other nonsense - well, let's put it this way - if some clown pretending to be Sasquatch at his site www.abominablesnowman.com then claims that the proof that he and his site are "the real thing" is the fact that the site is pointed to by www.yeti.com - well, that doesn't make for a very compelling argument.

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Indo-Siam

I will be going to the U.S. Embassy to get my letter stating Im not broke and have a U.S. income to show the Thai Consulate... Does anyone have any experiance with this??? Does the British Embassy have A letter like this???

Santa Claus lives. .... or so believeth anyone who thinks any Embassy is going to sign a ' it'll all be ok ' letter for Thai Immigration Department

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Steve, what did you ask the man? :-)

As for the info, most was good but yes I also found a number of errors such as a man married and having a "O" visa cannot get a work permit. You have to leave the country and get a "B" visa which is simply not true. An "O" visa can get a work permit.

I like to see the forum reopened. Wonder though if they didn't step on someone’s toes. Hope not!

www.sunbeltasia.com

if i am bringing on arrival 9999 $ cash

it is for 10 month

do i have to prove to some one?

i am not using ATM only cash

When you change the cash at a bank you will get a printed slip showing all the details. Kep the slips.

They will be accepted as prrof of money brought from abroad

I was a student here in Thailand a year ago, so I had Non-Imm ED. I was also able to open a Thai bank acct. for my schooling.

But now I'm living on a tourist visas since my Non-Imm ED visa has expired already. I still have some money left from my schooling and wanted to stay here longer to spend that for awhile. I may also consider going to another school this comimg semester.

What if they ask me for my ATM slips and I have Thai Bank ATM slips? Would that be a problem considering my situation?

My understanding you would be safe as long as you are not working. The witch hunt is towards teachers not having a work permit.

The madness is the number of lawyers that advise foreigners NOT to get a work permit. Too much red tape they tell them. That is pure nonsense.

Thats who they should go after....the so called lawyers!

www.sunbeltasia.com