Meet the Khao San Phad Thai seller from London speaking Lao!

webfact

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, fruitman said:

There are very good chinese restaurants in Europe, also bad ones. In BKK i wouldn't know where to buy takeaway with good meat and loads of fresh vegy in it. And i want to sit in a nice clean place while waiting.

Yes Chidlom foodloft isn't cheap but worth the money for me, not many thai there though but they go to their markets. Also it's only a departmentstore, wished there were more shops inside. But the other malls don't have such a nice foodloft, they have more shops though.

BKK has food in every price-class but not for everyone's taste, i prefer to pay more for healthy nice food but it's hard to find, so is good meat. For meatlovers BKK is not a paradise unfortunately.

I never buy any food from streetvendors because first they can't speak a word english, 2nd it looks filthy most of the time, 3rd i want to sit on a bench/chair while eating, 4th i need a bin to get rid of the waste.

But if i see this lady i'll order food from her anyway, she can't grab the ingredients by bare hands though.

No doubt there are good Chinese restaurants in Europe, only pointing out that "take out" Chinese restaurants are not close to decent in terms to taste.

I understand you want good and and hygienic food. Yes I do agree with you the cleanliness standards here are very low here. I've found a caterpillar in my fried rice before! When I use to work in sukhumvit and ate out almost everyday, I would find hair in my food pretty almost every week (and its not even dining on the streets)!

Yea, you can't get good meat without paying a lot. I understand where you are coming from.

25 minutes ago, Bullie said:

What you call rubbish is the smart take of pre-dominantly chinese entrepeneurs, often of the second or third generation of chinese food adapted to the local palate. I've eaten chinese food all over europe, and yes, it did taste a wee spanish in Spain. Upon questioning the proprietor he informed me that " this the way people like it". Mind you, it's ALWAYS possible to get the "real stuff". Just ask for it in chinese.

I know its always adapted to the local taste, when I was based in Germany, a lot of the take out chinese restaurants are owned by Vietnamese as well, so its really far from authentic adapted to local tastes. I speak chinese and I've tried numerous times trying to talk, but no chinese no english for them as well. Yes some are 2-3rd generation chinese who don't speak chinese as well. My main gripe is with the "take out" restaurants, not chinese restaurants in general. So yea, I tend to avoid "take out" Chinese and not recommend anyone. I think take out Thai restaurants are a safer bet, at worse is they don't put enough spice or herbs that it ends up closer to being Chinese food.

8 minutes ago, mike324 said:

No doubt there are good Chinese restaurants in Europe, only pointing out that "take out" Chinese restaurants are not close to decent in terms to taste.

I understand you want good and and hygienic food. Yes I do agree with you the cleanliness standards here are very low here. I've found a caterpillar in my fried rice before! When I use to work in sukhumvit and ate out almost everyday, I would find hair in my food pretty almost every week (and its not even dining on the streets)!

Yea, you can't get good meat without paying a lot. I understand where you are coming from.

Also the reason most Thai look so weak and don't have much energy is because they don't eat enough meat. If they had more nice meat for sale the men would be stronger, have more energy and even win more medals on the olympics.

I've also been eating from thai restaurants only, every day for many years but i missed nice meat and good vegy. The only way to get that is eating in Sizzlers or cook yourself.

There is kebab in BKK but it's chickenkebab, i don't like that. Also they don't know how to make nice sauce with it. I eat more than enough chicken in Thailand.

Also i like to eat Subway sandwiches but they never speak proper english so many times i'm not in the mood to go order from them.

Again if more foreigners worked here standards would increase and also profit the Thai.

7 minutes ago, mike324 said:

I know its always adapted to the local taste, when I was based in Germany, a lot of the take out chinese restaurants are owned by Vietnamese as well, so its really far from authentic adapted to local tastes. I speak chinese and I've tried numerous times trying to talk, but no chinese no english for them as well. Yes some are 2-3rd generation chinese who don't speak chinese as well. My main gripe is with the "take out" restaurants, not chinese restaurants in general. So yea, I tend to avoid "take out" Chinese and not recommend anyone. I think take out Thai restaurants are a safer bet, at worse is they don't put enough spice or herbs that it ends up closer to being Chinese food.

I can't be bothered if i eat real chinese or just a vague copy or a fantasy dish, as long as i like it it's fine with me.

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

So being married to a Thai and farming pigs didn't do it for her,

will cooking Pad Thai will?.... the choices people make....

come on now...tell us about some of your choices?

It's great to hear news that's not about foreigners killing each other, drug busts, rapes or road rages. But I'm sure there will be some who will rip her up.

4 hours ago, sirmud63 said:

nice storey, but im wondering how she can do that legaly ,as in work permit ? or is she a thai citizen?

I remember 15 years ago  the same lady was selling boiled corn and fruits, and her husband selling BBQ meat sticks. They stay outside Bank of Ayuothya corner, i am not sure the same lady.

Rules for Farang Lady and Gentleman married to Thai is different.

Lady is always on the top!

Edited by NextStationBangkok

3 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Also the reason most Thai look so weak and don't have much energy is because they don't eat enough meat. If they had more nice meat for sale the men would be stronger, have more energy and even win more medals on the olympics.

I've also been eating from thai restaurants only, every day for many years but i missed nice meat and good vegy. The only way to get that is eating in Sizzlers or cook yourself.

There is kebab in BKK but it's chickenkebab, i don't like that. Also they don't know how to make nice sauce with it. I eat more than enough chicken in Thailand.

Also i like to eat Subway sandwiches but they never speak proper english so many times i'm not in the mood to go order from them.

Again if more foreigners worked here standards would increase and also profit the Thai.

Well Thailand didn't exactly have the good cows and pigs to begin with for those complaining about meat. They are more into chicken and fish. So good beef and pork costs more. Same for veggies, good veggies tend to come from cooler climates, not something Thailand has as well.

You don't go to subway just because they don't speak proper English, you do know that you are in Thailand? You complaint is quite silly.

For standards to increase, the government needs to crack down on cleanliness like in the west, where restaurants are given scores and shut down if it does not pass hygienic standards. Its that simple, but not something Thailand is capable of yet. Having more foreigner chefs /workers/owners don't make much of a difference as a whole as its still a very small percentage of the restaurants.

23 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Yeah right, that's why many athletes have gone vegan for ages. It's about good quality protein which actually doesn't have to be obtained from meat. Sorry for OT, just had to get that off my chest.

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Sad fact is that there are far too many nosey interfering posters on tv.

What if she has a work permit, what if she doesnt have 1.

Her business not anybody elses, let her get on with her life and others get on with theirs.

Hey, Mods, any chance of installing a 'love' button? Or, better yet, working this into the TV credo or something? 

5 hours ago, samsensam said:

foreigner speaks thai, is this really newsworthy? 

in fact she has been working here for many years, i used to see her and her cart on soi rambutri all the time

Better than reading about yet another foreigner 'falling' to their death in Pattaya!

1 hour ago, mike324 said:

Well Thailand didn't exactly have the good cows and pigs to begin with for those complaining about meat. They are more into chicken and fish. So good beef and pork costs more. Same for veggies, good veggies tend to come from cooler climates, not something Thailand has as well.

You don't go to subway just because they don't speak proper English, you do know that you are in Thailand? You complaint is quite silly.

For standards to increase, the government needs to crack down on cleanliness like in the west, where restaurants are given scores and shut down if it does not pass hygienic standards. Its that simple, but not something Thailand is capable of yet. Having more foreigner chefs /workers/owners don't make much of a difference as a whole as its still a very small percentage of the restaurants.

It's not about having good quality meat or not, it's about know how to make it nice! The kebabsellers use all kinds of meat (and even lie about that) and nobody tastes the difference. IT's about using herbs and grinding it well, just like saucage actually.

Subway has to ask many questions what the customer wants, very frustrating if they can't speak a word english. That's why the Subway at Impact Muang Thong is gone now, there are plenty foreigners there who would like a sandwich.

You might think it's silly, i think it's silly to come to BKK for a job at Macdonalds when you even don't know what 3 hamburgers means...and that happens  in Thailand only. 

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Well done for her, she's a tryer ,not afraid to get her hands dirty looking 

after pigs, and cooking on the street is not below her.

regards worgeordie

If she made nice shawarma/kebab from her pigs and sold that at kao sarn road she could make big money...strange that nobody in thailand does that, it's for sale all over the world where western tourists like to go.

5 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I know a Thai bar owner in Bangkok, has the biggest Cockney accent you will hear, he spent a total of 6 months there.

Woopie doo !

It is NOT news, it is junk journalism.

Your obsession with people speaking the language is ludicrous, and yes, it is an obsession.

I think just about everybody and anybody who has spent more than an hour on Suk Soi 4 knows Gop of the Bangcockney and yes he does indeed sound like he's from Whitechapel. 

3 hours ago, fruitman said:

There are very good chinese restaurants in Europe, also bad ones. In BKK i wouldn't know where to buy takeaway with good meat and loads of fresh vegy in it. And i want to sit in a nice clean place while waiting.

Yes Chidlom foodloft isn't cheap but worth the money for me, not many thai there though but they go to their markets. Also it's only a departmentstore, wished there were more shops inside. But the other malls don't have such a nice foodloft, they have more shops though.

BKK has food in every price-class but not for everyone's taste, i prefer to pay more for healthy nice food but it's hard to find, so is good meat. For meatlovers BKK is not a paradise unfortunately.

I never buy any food from streetvendors because first they can't speak a word english, 2nd it looks filthy most of the time, 3rd i want to sit on a bench/chair while eating, 4th i need a bin to get rid of the waste.

But if i see this lady i'll order food from her anyway, she can't grab the ingredients by bare hands though.

"I never buy any food from streetvendors because first they can't speak a word english, 2nd it looks filthy most of the time, 3rd i want to sit on a bench/chair while eating, 4th i need a bin to get rid of the waste."

I can't say I blame you for not buying on the street. After all, there are many members on this forum who insist Thailand is a 3rd world country. Do you really expect clinical standards and spoken English to enjoy life here. After all, if you've been here a while you probably can speak "get- by street Thai"

You are fortunate to be able to eat at Central Chidlom's foodloft and Sizzler. Most Thais and many foreigners do not have that opportunity. If you've  lived here more than a couple of years, you've probably built up a tolerance for and immunity to street food. 

21 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

"I never buy any food from streetvendors because first they can't speak a word english, 2nd it looks filthy most of the time, 3rd i want to sit on a bench/chair while eating, 4th i need a bin to get rid of the waste."

I can't say I blame you for not buying on the street. After all, there are many members on this forum who insist Thailand is a 3rd world country. Do you really expect clinical standards and spoken English to enjoy life here. After all, if you've been here a while you probably can speak "get- by street Thai"

You are fortunate to be able to eat at Central Chidlom's foodloft and Sizzler. Most Thais and many foreigners do not have that opportunity. If you've  lived here more than a couple of years, you've probably built up a tolerance for and immunity to street food. 

Yes been here long enough to know that the Thai are rich enough to buy proper food. They would rather have the latest phones, beers every day, very big cars, golden jewelry and so on....up to them.

And foodloft isn't that expensive if you see what you get back for the price. A macmeal with an extra burger costs the same in europe.

Many guys on this forum only know the upcountry thailand i guess, in BKK it's a totally different world. Or would you think that all the people shopping in the big malls are tourists? 

Foreign Girls married to Thai men ain't the same. Why should it be.

Most guys either marry ex hookers. And have no idea of what's in store for them.

Or marry Thai women to screw Thailand laws........

Nong Khao Man Gai Google it. Tables turned.

8 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

It's nice to see a foreigner that can speak Thai especially sins I have friends that has been living here for 15-20 years and basically they can't even order a beer in Thai!

I learned enough Thai before I came so I could get by and continue to learn every day. I read and write (with lots of errors) also. The guys that live here and make no attempt to learn the language amaze me. I am sick of hearing them that say Thais have no sense of humor or worse yet express frustration that the people they speak to don't speak enough English.  Studying for 10 minutes a day would drastically improve their quality of life here but the refuse to do it. Shameful. I overheard an acquaintance talking to his Thai landlord and he said "top kuum cap" at the end of the discussion. This guy has been here for 2 <deleted> years and can't say "thank you".  Amazing.