Possibly illegal elephant seized from owner by authorities

webfact

Possibly illegal elephant seized from owner by authorities

ele.jpg

RATCHABURI, 15 December 2016 (NNT) – Authorities have seized an elephant after finding its DNA did not match information indicated in its documentation. 

Forestry Department official and National Animal Protection Task Force member Mongkol Chaipakdee has led a team enacting a Section 44 order to seize an elephant owned by Wichian Ngam-sanga in Ratcahburi province. The elephant was already taken into holding earlier after it was found its DNA did not match documentation. 

Local authorities believe the elephant was illegally acquired and may be a wild elephant using another animal’s records. The pachyderm is to be taken to a care center in Petchburi province for the time being. 

Wichian has been given the opportunity to produce the proper documentation for the elephant and seek its return. All of his elephants are being tested.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-12-15

Good to see something working the way it is supposed to. I wonder what happened with the microchip? I just filmed the transfer of 3 elephants in Thailand and the paperwork etc is incredible, but they also have a chip behind the ear. The officials had a lot of trouble finding the chips on all 3 of the elephants we moved, but they did eventually. So does this mean the chip matched (been swapped with paperwork?) or it didn't have a chip?

Great headline...what is an 'illegal elephant'?

I know it's one kept, or obtained, illegally, but it's an amusing headline nevertheless.

Thailish is something I get a laugh out of most days.  I saw a menu recently with 'pushed eggs' for breakfast.

It's great to see ownership and control of these intelligent and  beautiful animals is taken seriously.

Edited by F4UCorsair
addition

25 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Good to see there is some serousness in the protection of elephants. If the documentation is false I suppose the owner will 'Have had his chips' !

Anything is better than nothing when it comes to the treatment of  Elephants in Asia.

5 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

Great headline...what is an 'illegal elephant'?

I know it's one kept, or obtained, illegally, but it's an amusing headline nevertheless.

Thailish is something I get a laugh out of most days.  I saw a menu recently with 'pushed eggs' for breakfast.

It's great to see ownership and control of these intelligent and  beautiful animals is taken seriously.

There is only one thing taken seriously in Thailand and that is...

RATCHABURI, 15 December 2016 (NNT) – Authorities have seized an elephant after finding its DNA did not match information indicated in its documentation. 

I just found one in my garden with the matching  DNA. 

Should I inform the authorities?