Crack-down On Overstay In Koh Samui

Why overstay in Samui? The immigration office is right on the island and very convenient to get to. I think most people overstay because it is cheaper to pay the fine than it is to extend. If someone overstayed their visa in the UK, US or EU I believe they would also be arrested, fined and deported. Why should Thailand be any different?

If someone overstayed their visa in the UK

there are few if any worries about overstaying your welcome in the uk.

the authorities are not even allowed to ask for id or identification without very good reason.

it is almost impossible to deport someone from the uk.

decisions to deport can be appealed and appealed in the courts for years, at the taxpayers expense.

if the samui longstayers want a hassle free holiday by the sea, may i suggest they move to brighton,blackpool scarborough or filey.

if they are clever enough to work the system..... and you dont need to be all that bright to do it.....they should be able to get benefits,free housing,free medical and dental care,free legal representation etc. etc.etc. and never have to do a days work again in their lives.

god bless the poverty stricken british taxpayer for his devotion above and beyond the call of duty to the lazy and workshy of this world.

completely off topic i know, but its my pet rant. :o

:D

Why overstay in Samui? The immigration office is right on the island and very convenient to get to. I think  most people overstay because it is cheaper to pay the fine than it is to extend. If someone overstayed their visa in the UK, US or EU I believe they would also be arrested, fined and deported. Why should Thailand be any different?

sbk has been out of sorts since ###### was arrested. Personally, I think that he was sort of her dream man (Oh IT, you are sooo liberal, and what big sex toys you have!). :o

It happen'd in Samui this time I'm shore it will happen again

here, and in many other places in Thailand. Keep to the rules

and everyone SHOULD be ok! .... Hey this is Thailand.

If only they would comply with the rules Noodles. Is it laziness or are they serious non-compliers ?

It happen'd in Samui this time I'm shore it will happen again

here, and in many other places in Thailand. Keep to the rules

and everyone SHOULD be ok! .... Hey this is Thailand.

If only they would comply with the rules Noodles. Is it laziness or are they serious non-compliers ?

Yep, 06:00 is not 06:00, not 06:01. :o

Why overstay in Samui? The immigration office is right on the island and very convenient to get to. I think  most people overstay because it is cheaper to pay the fine than it is to extend. If someone overstayed their visa in the UK, US or EU I believe they would also be arrested, fined and deported. Why should Thailand be any different?

sbk has been out of sorts since ###### was arrested. Personally, I think that he was sort of her dream man (Oh IT, you are sooo liberal, and what big sex toys you have!). :o

sorry georgie-porgie, I am not a stupid person so you don't need to insult me! Besides, I am married to my dream man, and he never feels the need to be petty and small-minded :D

On to the point of the topic: I have to get up at 6 am to make the boat to Samui to go see immigration so I really have no sympathy for people who can just hop on a songthaew and go straight to immigration. Extending is not that difficult and although it does cost more than overstaying a couple of days it is better to follow the laws of the country you are a guest in.

sbk has been out of sorts since ###### was arrested. Personally, I think that he was sort of her dream man (Oh IT, you are sooo liberal, and what big sex toys you have!). :D

sorry georgie-porgie, I am not a stupid person so you don't need to insult me! Besides, I am married to my dream man, and he never feels the need to be petty and small-minded :D

On to the point of the topic: I have to get up at 6 am to make the boat to Samui to go see immigration so I really have no sympathy for people who can just hop on a songthaew and go straight to immigration. Extending is not that difficult and although it does cost more than overstaying a couple of days it is better to follow the laws of the country you are a guest in.

Hear Hear. :o

sbk, you are right, you are not a stupid person, but I wasn't insulting you, I was joshing with you, because I've noticed that you were out of sorts the last few days.

Sorry about the misunderstanding. :o

Whew! that's good, sorry if I took things so literally, PMS and stress of getting ready to fly home (22 hours ugh) have robbed me of my sense of humor.

With reference to Chuckygoodbye's comment "Samui is a mafia-run Island full of crooked cops" Just what exactly does he base this sweeping (anally retentive?) statement on ? As a resident here I have to say you are quite wrong;in my experience the police have been nothing but helpful and courteous whenever called upon.

If they really wanted a "shakedown" as you put it, don't you think they would be going after all the western bar owners who have been going on these visa runs for years whilst never bothering to get a business visa, a work permit and certainly not a monthly income tax bill.... "It's not my bar officer,it's my girlfriends...."

if you don't over stay it wouldn't be a problem

Chingy is right

Rules are Rules, don't overstay, don't do drugs, don't shag children, etc.

This isn't your home country, you can't just get away with things without a penalty.

May seem harsh but rules is rules

Bash

Bash,

Is it like that in your home country? Where in the world is that?

ASIC

If someone overstayed their visa in the UK

there are few if any worries about overstaying your welcome in the uk.

the authorities are not even allowed to ask for id or identification without very good reason.

it is almost impossible to deport someone from the uk.

decisions to deport can be appealed and appealed in the courts for years, at the taxpayers expense.

if the samui longstayers want a hassle free holiday by the sea, may i suggest they move to brighton,blackpool scarborough or filey.

if they are clever enough to work the system..... and you dont need to be all that bright to do it.....they should be able to get benefits,free housing,free medical and dental care,free legal representation etc. etc.etc. and never have to do a days work again in their lives.

god bless the poverty stricken british taxpayer for his devotion above and beyond the call of duty to the lazy and workshy of this world.

completely off topic i know, but its my pet rant. :o

:D

Yes, it is off-topic, also a sweeping generalisation and as such not true. This is not the place, but I lived in the UK for 12 years and it was all but a free holiday!

Back on topic: I also was unaware of the potential dire consequences ofg overstaying before I read the warnings on this forum. Based on the polite treatment at the borders and the hear-talk amongst travellers one might well not realize how serious an offence it is, even the French embasy doesn't realize.

Don't just blame the overstayers, I think few would take the risk if fully aware of the consequences!!!