beach sand for the filer - really???

Phil_ne_uk

58 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Absolutely not!!!!

The proper stuff is cheap but why not replace with Zelbrite a generally better medium anyway.

http://www.zelbrite.com/

Thanks for your reply. Well for those who are not aware, <removed due to name and shame rule, please PM> get their sand from the beach!

Any recommendations as to who could replace the silica sand and at a fair price, if that’s at all possible bearing in mind we are in Thailand!

Edited by Crossy
Removed name and shame, please use PM for details

Beach sand

Yes it is a perfectly acceptable , but under certain conditions.

The sand must  at first be tested for impurities both chemical and organic.

then washed and graded, the grading is very important.

One of the big problems with beach sand is can have calcium particles from shells etc.

Not all beach sand meets the grade,  Forget the idea of a guy going along the beach with a spade and bag, most of it dredged.

There are some very large public facilities in the uk with such sand.

Crushed glass is an excellent filtration medium you do not need as much as if you were using sand.

There are may prestigious venues in the uk that have glass in the filters many containing as much as 7-9 tonnes.

The best filtration sand in the world comes from the Uk and is selected internationally by many consultants.

Garside Sands

Hello all

Just had my first experience with the J mob in Korat

As the op mentioned the Silica seems very hard to get but if that 700 bht is correct for 50 kg & not 50 pds it is very cheap as the same quantity i need from Auss would cost nearly 3 X that

So this is where i ended up having to buy sand as they all seem to use this as the man at the above mob mentioned you can get at any builders (got at another pool mob which seemed to be sifted ) 500 bht for 50 kg (maybe stung )

OP - did you go for the sand as I,m a bit worried also ( but need to do now)

Also a question for all - Onga LSFII-21-40 at 22,000 Bht a fair price since they are 12,000 bht in Auss & attract 10 perc duty + ect

On 12/19/2016 at 1:30 PM, BEVUP said:

Hello all

Just had my first experience with the J mob in Korat

As the op mentioned the Silica seems very hard to get but if that 700 bht is correct for 50 kg & not 50 pds it is very cheap as the same quantity i need from Auss would cost nearly 3 X that

So this is where i ended up having to buy sand as they all seem to use this as the man at the above mob mentioned you can get at any builders (got at another pool mob which seemed to be sifted ) 500 bht for 50 kg (maybe stung )

OP - did you go for the sand as I,m a bit worried also ( but need to do now)

Also a question for all - Onga LSFII-21-40 at 22,000 Bht a fair price since they are 12,000 bht in Auss & attract 10 perc duty + ect

yes I went for sand which hopefully has been washed and graded, according to my other half. But who knows as bearing in mind, this is Thailand!

BevUp: " Also a question for all - Onga LSFII-21-40 at 22,000 Bht a fair price since they are 12,000 bht in Auss & attract 10 perc duty + ect

What company quoted you that price in Thailand on the Onga product?  I've owned an Onga Pump which I bought from JD Pools when they built my swimming pool in Buriram. 

Thank you. 

48 minutes ago, kamalabob2 said:

BevUp: " Also a question for all - Onga LSFII-21-40 at 22,000 Bht a fair price since they are 12,000 bht in Auss & attract 10 perc duty + ect

What company quoted you that price in Thailand on the Onga product?  I've owned an Onga Pump which I bought from JD Pools when they built my swimming pool in Buriram. 

Thank you. 

Didn't know you could name the company but it is the same one in Korat & it is actually a Sand Filter