Farming mud crabs - looking for crablets

Eric Loh

Anyone who know or provide leads to where to buy mud crablets (paramamosain). I intend to invest in a technology to breed mud crab in condo style housing. Before I go full steam, I like to do a small trial with probably 50 crablets. The system for the trial is already in place but looking for crablets has been challenging. 

Its a matter of getting "down and dirty." muddies for growing on are usually taken from the wild as juvenilles.

If you are talking actual breeding,thats a different kettle of fish.  It would entail having mature breeding stock plus the ideal conditions for mating ,spawning and hatching.

3 hours ago, ozzydom said:

Its a matter of getting "down and dirty." muddies for growing on are usually taken from the wild as juvenilles.

If you are talking actual breeding,thats a different kettle of fish.  It would entail having mature breeding stock plus the ideal conditions for mating ,spawning and hatching.

Thanks Ozzydom. You quite right . Hatcheries are few in Thailand. Heard. Philippines 

is more successful. I will seek advise from the Fishery Department.

Answering cooked and Hatch comment, mud crab is the most commonly eaten crab in South East Asia. My method of breeding is in housing stacked like a condo with system for controlling salinity, bateria and filtration system. You can do crab breeding anywhere; not necessary in the sea. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

No answer or no PM from you Eric. Anyhow, I am going to give this a try. But I will not buy the Chinese condo system as I have designed my own system. It is a high-tech automated (my profession) crab fattening system. Going for soft shell crabs production as it seems to be highest in demand. I will starts with a test system with 1000 crabs and if it works out well, a 50-100 000 crab system would not be impossible if the crabs are in demand. And as I mold them from from my own plastic tool the investment will be on an acceptable level.

• 2 months later...
On 2/26/2017 at 3:12 AM, inventorinthailand said:

No answer or no PM from you Eric. Anyhow, I am going to give this a try. But I will not buy the Chinese condo system as I have designed my own system. It is a high-tech automated (my profession) crab fattening system. Going for soft shell crabs production as it seems to be highest in demand. I will starts with a test system with 1000 crabs and if it works out well, a 50-100 000 crab system would not be impossible if the crabs are in demand. And as I mold them from from my own plastic tool the investment will be on an acceptable level.

I have to apologize profusely for not responding. Really not me to ignore any friendly message. Fact is I lost interest following the thread due to poor response. 

Nevertheless, good to hear that you are working on your project. 

As for me, my interest was in mud crab for my restaurant as well as Singapore market. My brother is an expert on fishery farming and I hitched on his experience to try crab farming. 

Problem still with getting the crablets. Someone mentioned Ranong and I intend to do some investigation. 

Keep me posted on your project if you wish. PM me. Love to hear of your success. Best of luck mate.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Reddy. Sorry for not responding promptly. Actually I have to put the mud crab project on hold as I am busy with my current chemical business in Thailand. I have done a lot of research up to the point of the feed recipe and the filtration system. I have also found some suitable plastic boxes that can be converted to crab housing. I wish you all the success in your start up. Do post of your progress. I am keen to know and learn. Cheers.

• 1 year later...

Archived