German man, 31, in ICU following fight with Phuket security guards

webfact

German man, 31, in ICU following fight with Phuket security guards

Eakkapop Thongtub

1482116320_1-org.jpg

Tourist police question Mr Rapp, 31, from his hospital bed. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A German man is currently in the ICU of Vachira Phuket Hospital following a fight with security guards from Bangla Rd in Patong in the early hours of yesterday morning (Dec 18). Tourist Police have said the man has suffered a blood clot to his brain.

Lt Col Somsak Thonggleng of the Patong Police has confirmed that 31-year-old Thomas Rapp is currently being treated for a blood clot to his brain after getting intro a fight with security guards from an unnamed restaurant on Bangla Rd.

“A security guard told us that Mr Rapp and his friend Mr Christian Graile, 26, has been eating and drinking in the restaurant.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/german-man-31-in-icu-following-fight-with-phuket-security-guards-60304.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-12-19

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

'While they were discussing the bill Mr Rapp smashed one of the security guards in the face'

Not normally a good idea, diplomacy would surely have been a better option ?

He who remains conscious writes the script.

27 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

'While they were discussing the bill Mr Rapp smashed one of the security guards in the face'

Not normally a good idea, diplomacy would surely have been a better option ?

That statement was made by one of the "Security Guards" that beatdown the German homie. Hardly credible. 

19 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

No, the story of a drunk is credible.

The story of the drunk is no less credible than the Thais that put the sucker in the hospital with a blood clot in his brain. Witch, buy the way, its very unlikely from a few punches to the face. More likely from being foot stomped, kneed, elbowed, or hit with a blunt object. 

19 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

No a story about a drunk who gets agressive

And thats precisely the view the Thais and the Media want to do believe. Besides, getting aggressive requires a beatdown? Shiiit more like a couple man-children couldn't stand losing face to a foreigner. Its patong, they could have just gotten the police over. 

I don't buy it at all. Not yet anyway. Thai males of fighting age acting as a "Security Guard" for a restaurant in Patong?

Nope. Im more inclined to believe that they padded his bill, he got mad and was vocal about it, and they beat him down. Rather than he just randomly sucker punched a Thai security guard during a "Discussion" that the media & police report, without a shred of evidence, other than what the "Security Guards" say. 

Edited by Strange

14 minutes ago, Strange said:

The story of the drunk is no less credible than the Thais that put the sucker in the hospital with a blood clot in his brain. Witch, buy the way, its very unlikely from a few punches to the face. More likely from being foot stomped, kneed, elbowed, or hit with a blunt object. 

And thats precisely the view the Thais and the Media want to do believe. Besides, getting aggressive requires a beatdown? Shiiit more like a couple man-children couldn't stand losing face to a foreigner. Its patong, they could have just gotten the police over. 

I don't buy it at all. Not yet anyway. Thai males of fighting age acting as a "Security Guard" for a restaurant in Patong?

Nope. Im more inclined to believe that they padded his bill, he got mad and was vocal about it, and they beat him down. Rather than he just randomly sucker punched a Thai security guard during a "Discussion" that the media & police report, without a shred of evidence, other than what the "Security Guards" say. 

there are loads of drunken tourists who behave like <deleted> in Patong,you can buy it or not. seen enough of them. 

Strange and Frits. You're both right.

The question is, does drunken, boorish behaviour, even swinging the first punch, deserve the level of violence so called "security guards? mete out on tourists. They use overwhelming numbers, boots, sticks, everything is considered fair in their minds.

CCTV footage, when it hasn't mysteriously disappeared,  has highlighted excessive force by these thugs in many incidences. Remember the Boat Captain who defended himself against the mob, the three Australian youths beaten and kicked outside a club after a bill dispute. The Russian in Karon who fought back, the Aussie tour operator who had to brandish a fake gun to save himself from a mob. And who could forget the actor Jeremey Renner and the home made axe wielded by a security guard? The list goes on and on.

I'd prefer to see footage or hear independent testimony before rushing to judgement.   

Edited by Old Croc

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

there are loads of drunken tourists who behave like <deleted> in Patong,you can buy it or not. seen enough of them. 

And Id be inclined to say that there are an equal amount of <deleted> locals in Patong. Seen enough of them. 

German tourist suffers brain hemorrhage after fight over bar tab

Phuket Gazette

pkt1.jpeg        

The bouncers were called in for questioning at Patong Police Station, but no charges have been filed yet. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- A German tourist was knocked unconscious from a severe head injury early yesterday morning, following a noisy brawl with bouncers at a Bangla Road bar.

Thomas Rapp, 31, reportedly racked up a 2,000 baht bill following a night of heavy drinking at Dragon Night Bar on Soi Freedom. 

“Staff and other witnesses told us that Mr Rapp and a friend were celebrating his birthday. When the bar was about to close, staff handed him his bill, but instead of paying it, he started creating a scene,” said Maj Phatthapee Srichai of Patong Police. 

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/German-tourist-suffers-brain-hemorrhage-fight-bar/66010?desktopversion#ad-image-1

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-12-19

38 minutes ago, webfact said:

The bouncers were called in for questioning at Patong Police Station, but no charges have been filed yet.

Yep. That wouldn't be good for Thailand's reputation. 

38 minutes ago, webfact said:

When the bar was about to close, staff handed him his bill, but instead of paying it, he started creating a scene

3 Thais vs 1 allegedly drunk foreigner. Blood clot, brain hemorrhage, possible head surgery. 

Little chickenshits. 

This "Restaurant" with 3 bouncers. Really? Only places I ever been that had bouncers - had them for intimidation. In other words, knowingly doing illegal things, and if you complain or create a scene, you get 3 20ish year old fighting age thais telling you "This is Tai-lan, you must pay"

What a joke this country can be. 

Edited by Strange

Let me think, two man celebrating ones birthday, have dinner and drinking for hours.
How much can be wrong on a 2,000 Baht bill?
Did he complain about the 10Baht ice bucket or what?
Seems idiotic to me to make a big scene out of that, always in mind you are not your own country

41 minutes ago, Strange said:

Yep. That wouldn't be good for Thailand's reputation. 

3 Thais vs 1 allegedly drunk foreigner. Blood clot, brain hemorrhage, possible head surgery. 

Little chickenshits. 

This "Restaurant" with 3 bouncers. Really? Only places I ever been that had bouncers - had them for intimidation. In other words, knowingly doing illegal things, and if you complain or create a scene, you get 3 20ish year old fighting age thais telling you "This is Tai-lan, you must pay"

What a joke this country can be. 

Best thing to do then is go bac home.

2 minutes ago, Sooo Upto Me said:

Best thing to do then is go bac home.

Does it ever get old? 

You know, being that guy that constantly parrots that little gem? 

Just because I don't agree with everything about Thailand, does not mean I need to run away. 

It is possible, you know, to like the country as a whole, but seriously dislike certain aspects of Thainess. 

I may like it here, but I'm not too blinded with being Thaier than Thai that I can't see the BS in it. 

26 minutes ago, Deli said:

The bouncers look like Kindergarten nannies to me

But yet the German is in the hospital. Blood clot, brain hemorrhage, possible surgery required. 

Dont underestimate the level of violence people are capable of. 

Well as always we are trying to work out what happened and the motivation.  And a s always the actual truth is unlikely to be made clear.  In a culture where everyone lies, nobody will lose face and an ineffective police force operates then your guess is as good as mine.

OP says restaurant with out mentioning a name, PG says it's a bar and the name was given.  I'd be more inclined to believe it was a bar.

>>PHUKET: -- A German tourist was knocked unconscious from a severe head injury early yesterday morning, following a noisy brawl with bouncers at a Bangla Road bar.

Thomas Rapp, 31, reportedly racked up a 2,000 baht bill following a night of heavy drinking at Dragon Night Bar on Soi Freedom.