Changing from non-B to non-O visa

Hello, I entered Thailand end of 2015 with work permit and B-Visa.

I got married to my Thai wife earlier this year but still keeping my B-Visa.

My work permit is renewed middle of this year for another 1 year validity.

My B visa is expiring middle of Feb 2017 and I'm wondering if its easy to change to O visa?

The reason I'm thinking of changing is because B visa renewal is complicated and requires company docs compared to O visa.

Please share your kind thoughts.

P/S: I'm not sure if someone has asked before, if yes please advise, thanks!

You cannot change non immigrant visa categories in the country. You have to go out and get a new visa.

You can apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage with a non-b visa entry.

Or if you have a extension of stay based upon working you  can change the reason for your extension to marriage.

You can work and get work permits with a non-o visa or  extension of stay based upon marriage. You can also use your income from working to meet the 40k baht income requirement for the extension.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply.

Do you mean I can keep my non-B extend it by using the reason for marriage?

I tried checking immigration website, most of the links are down and there is no clear information and calling them dont help as every officer gives different answers.

5 minutes ago, shady86 said:

Do you mean I can keep my non-B extend it by using the reason for marriage?

Yes you can. All that is required is a non immigrant visa entry to apply for an extension. No requirement for it to be a specific category.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, shady86 said:

Thanks. Do you know where can I find the application forms or required documents to extend my non-B without using my company documents ? 

My list of  documents and etc. Marriage Extension Requirements.pdf

You will also need a letter from your employer requesting your extension be canceled so that you can apply for the new one. You new extension will start from the date you you do it.

One difference for you would tax payment receipts and your annual tax return if you use your salary from working to meet the 40k baht requirement. You also would need a copy of your work permit. There may a few other documents needed at some offices.

You will also need a letter from your employer requesting your extension be canceled so that you can apply for the new one. You new extension will start from the date you you do it.

....... .

Cant he just renew to the marriage extension 30 says before the work extension expires? No need to cancel early?

Side comment: always recommend doing a marriage extension over a work-based extension whenever possible. If not, i would aim for a multiple entry non-imm b visa. You have to do border runs every 90 days, but less hassle with local immigration, especially if you suddenly must leave your job.

9 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

Cant he just renew to the marriage extension 30 says before the work extension expires? No need to cancel early?

Side comment: always recommend doing a marriage extension over a work-based extension whenever possible. If not, i would aim for a multiple entry non-imm b visa. You have to do border runs every 90 days, but less hassle with local immigration, especially if you suddenly must leave your job.

You can only renew an extension of the same type and have it start when the existing one ends.

When changing the reason for an extension the existing one has to be canceled before the new one can be issued.

Hello guys, I'm starting to get confused again.

My current Visa: Non-B

To change to Non-O : I need wait till my visa expires (mid Feb), get out of Thailand and apply for Non-O

Below are my choices before expiry, please advise if I'm wrong.

(1) Renew my non-B using company documents and get another year of non-B visa

(2) Wait for my non-B to expire, go out of Thailand, apply for Non-O and come back again

(3) Renew my non-B without using company documents but asking for extension due to marriage (provide marriage documents)

If I were to go to (3), will I still get non-B or they will change to non-O?

If (3) works, it doesnt make sense to do option (2) to save the hassle of leaving and coming in again.

7 hours ago, shady86 said:

My current Visa: Non-B

To change to Non-O : I need wait till my visa expires (mid Feb), get out of Thailand and apply for Non-O

Below are my choices before expiry, please advise if I'm wrong.

(1) Renew my non-B using company documents and get another year of non-B visa

Since you are talking about renewing your non-imm B, it sounds like you are in country on an extension of stay. Visas are never renewed. Referring to everything as a visa is contributing to the confusion.

Part of the confusion is your current  immigration status. An extension of stay can be renewed annually at an immigrations office. You do 90 day reports at your immigration office ( or someone does it for you). That is NOT a visa.An extension of stay is based on the reason for it ... work, marriage, retirement, etc. It is not a non-imm B or non-imm O extension.

A visa is issued at an embassy or consulate outside Thailand. If it is a multi-entry visa valid for a year, you need to do a border hop at least every 90 days. You don't need to do 90 day reports at immigrations because you are never in country for long enough to need to do them.

Maybe you could make it clear which one you actually have.

On 20/12/2016 at 8:21 PM, Suradit69 said:

Since you are talking about renewing your non-imm B, it sounds like you are in country on an extension of stay. Visas are never renewed. Referring to everything as a visa is contributing to the confusion.

Part of the confusion is your current  immigration status. An extension of stay can be renewed annually at an immigrations office. You do 90 day reports at your immigration office ( or someone does it for you). That is NOT a visa.An extension of stay is based on the reason for it ... work, marriage, retirement, etc. It is not a non-imm B or non-imm O extension.

A visa is issued at an embassy or consulate outside Thailand. If it is a multi-entry visa valid for a year, you need to do a border hop at least every 90 days. You don't need to do 90 day reports at immigrations because you are never in country for long enough to need to do them.

Maybe you could make it clear which one you actually have.

Hello, sorry, yes you are correct and I got confused.

I entered Thailand last year through non-B visa and was extended in Feb this year, will expire in coming Feb (I got 1 year extension).

I do not need to do border hop every 90 days but I need to do 90 day reports (I have multiple re-entry permit now)

From your explanation, I will need to renew my extension in coming Feb by using marriage reason (not work).

Any ideas if I can download application form and check what are the forms needed?

15 minutes ago, shady86 said:

From your explanation, I will need to renew my extension in coming Feb by using marriage reason (not work).

Any ideas if I can download application form and check what are the forms needed?

Only the TM7 form is needed. See my list of required documents and etc here. Marriage Extension Requirements.pdf

58 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Only the TM7 form is needed. See my list of required documents and etc here. Marriage Extension Requirements.pdf

Thanks again. Just curious for of the requirements.

Proof of 40k baht income by income letter  from embassy - can you confirm the letter has to be from embassy not company.

I do not have 400k now but does documents such as owning a property under my name helps?

9 minutes ago, shady86 said:

Thanks again. Just curious for of the requirements.

Proof of 40k baht income by income letter  from embassy - can you confirm the letter has to be from embassy not company.

I do not have 400k now but does documents such as owning a property under my name helps?

I mentioned it in this post. Only money in the bank will be accepted.

On 12/19/2016 at 4:21 PM, ubonjoe said:

One difference for you would tax payment receipts and your annual tax return if you use your salary from working to meet the 40k baht requirement. You also would need a copy of your work permit. There may a few other documents needed at some offices.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes

The tax payments will show your monthly income.

Sorry to bother you guys again, i asked my Thai staff to called the immigration and inquired if I can extend my stay by changing reason from work to marriage and was told not possible.

The immigration staff mentioned that I'm still on B-Visa and can only extend my stay by using work related documents.

I understood the judgement is based on office who receives my application, should i just try my luck with applying for extension using marriage as purpose with my current non-B visa status ?

I can apply 30 days before expiry so if marriage reason doesnt work, I still can try with company documents.

2 minutes ago, shady86 said:

Sorry to bother you guys again, i asked my Thai staff to called the immigration and inquired if I can extend my stay by changing reason from work to marriage and was told not possible.

The immigration staff mentioned that I'm still on B-Visa and can only extend my stay by using work related documents.

I understood the judgement is based on office who receives my application, should i just try my luck with applying for extension using marriage as purpose with my current non-B visa status ?

I can apply 30 days before expiry so if marriage reason doesnt work, I still can try with company documents.

It can depend upon the office for the officer you talk to. 

You  could try for the extension early to see what they say then.

• 1 month later...
On 22/12/2016 at 2:53 PM, ubonjoe said:

Yes

The tax payments will show your monthly income.

On 22/12/2016 at 4:46 PM, ubonjoe said:

It can depend upon the office for the officer you talk to. 

You  could try for the extension early to see what they say then.

I went to Immigration today, and was rejected while trying to apply for my non B extension.

I asked around if I could apply extension under marriage but was told its not possible as I'm having non B.

I guess the only way is to cancel my non B and apply for Non O. Can anyone advise how I can cancel my non B other than waiting for it to expire?

Do I need to go to waste one whole day again just to cancel the non B visa?

16 minutes ago, shady86 said:

I guess the only way is to cancel my non B and apply for Non O. Can anyone advise how I can cancel my non B other than waiting for it to expire?

You cannot apply for the extension based upon marriage (not a non-o visa) until your extension of stay based upon working (it is not a non-b visa) is canceled by presenting a letter from your employer requesting it be canceled on the date you  go to immigration. As soon as you do it you can apply for the extension based upon marriage.

The only way to change the non immigrant visa category you used for entry is to leave the country, apply for a new visa and then enter the country with it.

It should be possible, I did the same thing 2 years ago at CW (arrive on non-B visa, first 1-year extension based on work, next 1-year extension based on marriage). In my case they asked for a letter from my employer confirming that on the day of my application I was still working with them. They didn't ask for a letter requesting cancellation of my previous extension. I hadn't brought this letter, but they allowed me to go get it, return, and complete the application on the same day. The officer who dealt with my case was then quite new on the job, her first response to my request (for changing the reason underlying the extension) was negative. Only after consultation with a senior colleague (which occurred after me and my wife had politely insisted that it should be possible) she changed her mind and accepted to proceed with the application. So unless the rules have changed, don't give up!   

Edited by leftorright

If you don't speak Thai yourself, make sure your wife is fully aware of what according to Immigration's own guidance ought to be possible - with the key thing being that to qualify for an extension of stay based on marriage "The alien must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM)" (among other things of course) - so that she can 'educate' any misinformed officers. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/01/2017 at 2:34 PM, leftorright said:

If you don't speak Thai yourself, make sure your wife is fully aware of what according to Immigration's own guidance ought to be possible - with the key thing being that to qualify for an extension of stay based on marriage "The alien must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM)" (among other things of course) - so that she can 'educate' any misinformed officers. Good luck!

Quick update on this, I went to Imm Div 1 at Chaeng Wattana last Friday and tried to apply for extension based on marriage. At first the counter officer couldn't proceed due to I have non B visa at the moment, she consulted with her superior and questioned my wife. We explained that I could not apply extension based on work due to documents/director not in Thailand and we prepared all the documents needed for extension based on marriage.

Finally after 4 rounds on table discussion, they will consider my application and asked me to come back again in 4 weeks time to get the results. 

I'm not sure what will be the outcome and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

P/S: my extension of stay expires tomorrow but they already stamped in my passport allowing me to stay for another 4 weeks pending outcome of my application. In case my application is rejected, do I have to leave Thailand immediately? Technically, my permission to stay expires tomorrow and unless they approve my extension, I would be staying in Thailand illegally.

1 hour ago, shady86 said:

Quick update on this, I went to Imm Div 1 at Chaeng Wattana last Friday and tried to apply for extension based on marriage. At first the counter officer couldn't proceed due to I have non B visa at the moment, she consulted with her superior and questioned my wife. We explained that I could not apply extension based on work due to documents/director not in Thailand and we prepared all the documents needed for extension based on marriage.

Finally after 4 rounds on table discussion, they will consider my application and asked me to come back again in 4 weeks time to get the results. 

I'm not sure what will be the outcome and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

P/S: my extension of stay expires tomorrow but they already stamped in my passport allowing me to stay for another 4 weeks pending outcome of my application. In case my application is rejected, do I have to leave Thailand immediately? Technically, my permission to stay expires tomorrow and unless they approve my extension, I would be staying in Thailand illegally.

If they accepted your application and did the under consideration stamp it will be approved unless they find a fault in your paperwork. You will likely be contacted for a home visit since it is your first application.

The under consideration stamp allows you to stay until your application is approved. If not approved you would be given 7 days to leave the country stamp.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

If they accepted your application and did the under consideration stamp it will be approved unless they find a fault in your paperwork. You will likely be contacted for a home visit since it is your first application.

The under consideration stamp allows you to stay until your application is approved. If not approved you would be given 7 days to leave the country stamp.

Do you mean they will come to our home for a visit to make sure we really live together etc? Documents wise, they have gone through 4 times by 2 officers... I will be shocked if something is missing.

I shall wait for the outcome, thanks everyone for the help.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello guys, one quick question.

Im suppose to go to immigration this Fri to get outcome for my visa change and extension but my Wife is expecting these few days.

I couldn't reach their hotline. Is it possible for me to go there earlier or next week? If I go there after the date give in my passport will I be considered overstaying?

i don't think they will accept reason my is expecting...

On 12/19/2016 at 4:21 PM, ubonjoe said:

Wish I would have seen your list of documents for Marriage Extension Requirements... We took the photos, but  I have just realized, the photos do not show our house numbers...

Perhaps the Songkla Immigration Office will pass it..

Thanks again Joe for your service on Immigration matters.