The Sponsor's Letter - UK Spouse visa

Nearly there!  Just waiting on the English test certificate and we'll be ready to apply

I'm now writing up the sponsor's letter and I'd like to get some general pointers.  I've gone through some of the older threads and done some Googlefoo but there are a wild range of opinions on the approach - from the robot factual dates and times of meetings to the hackneyed romantic novella.

What I have so far is fairly simple and honest.  I haven't gone into any history of where we met (we're married, have lived together for 7 years and have a child, which I think is what's relevant).  I'm more focused on the 'now' - the fact I have to leave to take up a job in the UK meaning we'll be separated... being away from my boy for at least a few weeks is going to be hard!

Any thoughts?  Do I need to put in obvious facts that are already in the application (eg I, Mr X, {D.o.B} am a UK citizen {passport No XYZ} am writing in support of [...]) Or can I simply put my name {I, Mr X, am writing in support of [...]}

Thanks all

Keep it short; the ECO hasn't got time to read a letter like that in your link, even if they wanted to!

• Very brief history, e.g. married and living together in Thailand for 7 years, have a child who is not applying as they have a British passport.
  • Reason for moving to the UK at this time if you wish; though that's not really any of their business.
  • As you will initially be staying with your mum, say so.
  • Any clarification of answers on the application form you feel may be necessary.
  • Any additional information not covered by the application form you feel will help.
  • A list of supporting documents is also a good idea, I believe. Not financial ones, though, as these are covered in the financial appendix.

• Like 1

Many thanks 7by7, and to rasg for the pm example.

There were a couple of key points that I hadn't put in to the letter (son has British passport and the initial accommodation arrangement).  It's info that's already in the supporting evidence but a short summary in the letter is a great idea.

Re. the list of supporting evidence I was going to have some kind of index, like a cover page for each segment.  Actually was gonna ask for suggestions on the 'final presentation' at some point soon.  A ring binder?  Divided file folders?

Slightly off topic (but I  don't want to keep posting new threads) 

Appendix 2... A few questions

1. Am I going mad or is there nowhere they ask for the applicants details, nor ask the applicant to sign?
  2. (Q1.27) Does your sponsor have any children?... yes... with the applicant... Odd that they don't ask that
  3. (Q3.47) If your sponsor has not been employed by the same employer [...]?  Guidance says answer yes or no to an IF question...? it's not relevant.  Leave blank?

Thanks all

Re. the list of supporting evidence I was going to have some kind of index, like a cover page for each segment.  Actually was gonna ask for suggestions on the 'final presentation' at some point soon.  A ring binder?  Divided file folders?

I always use three plastic see through A4 folders with presstuds. Labelled with the visa application number, the applicant's name. Heading 1 - Applicant's details, Sponsor details and Proof of relationship.

1. Am I going mad or is there nowhere they ask for the applicants details, nor ask the applicant to sign?
  2. (Q1.27) Does your sponsor have any children?... yes... with the applicant... Odd that they don't ask that
  3. (Q3.47) If your sponsor has not been employed by the same employer [...]?  Guidance says answer yes or no to an IF question...? it's not relevant.  Leave blank?

I have checked my wife's Appendix 2 and there is nowhere to sign.

I left 3 blank.

17 hours ago, globalThailand said:

This is an appendix to the main form, and the applicant's details are on that.

Also, the declaration the applicant signs on the hard copy of the main form contains

I have completed the relevant appendix to this form to which the declaration also applies.

Q1.27, the applicant's children are on the main form; including any children they have with the sponsor.

Q3.47, yes, if not relevant than leave blank.

Edited by 7by7

17 hours ago, theoldgit said:

One thing to be aware of, when your wife submits the hard copy of her application at the Visa Application Centre, it's been alleged that some VFS staff are inclined to say that some supporting evidence is not required and then arbitrarily remove it.

<snip>

We've experienced that for travel visa in the past.  One of the things they removed was the detailed index that I put in each folder!  Thankfully it never had any impact on the result, but this is a different (and much more expensive) ballgame... I will make sure my wife insists it is all submitted, and thanks for the heads up.

16 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Q1.27, the applicant's children are on the main form; including any children they have with the sponsor.

Wait, so, now I'm confused... we should answer 'yes' to this question, right?  The sponsor has a child, the fact it is with the applicant will be made clear in the main application (and with all the supporting evidence)

Cheers all!

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

The applicant enters details of all their children in the relevant part of the application form; including those they have with the sponsor.

In answer to Q1.27 of the appendix, all the sponsor's children are entered, including those they have with the applicant.

I know this means some children may be entered twice, on both forms, but it's best to answer all questions fully.

As you say, the fact that they are the same child(ren) will be clear from the name(s), date(s) of birth and other parts of the application.

Make it clear in the sponsors letter that a detailed index is included and request that the ECO makes you aware of any missing pages. Not sure they would actually do that but might make VFS staff less inclined to 'fiddle'.

Every page numbered, blank pages marked page intentionally left blank (official documents quite routinely do this!). No gaps!

It is crazy that this is necessary but it is the applicants application and they submit the information they feel is appropriate.

Better to have a little too much information than too little but don't drown the ECO in fluff!

Make it clear to the applicant that nothing must be removed by VFS staff however insistent they get.

OK.  Very close to submitting the application now - just waiting on the English certificate (which should arrive tomorrow or Friday) so I'll run through what I have for you fine forum members to see if I've missed anything.  I got some press stud folders (Thanks rasg) and broken it into 3

Applicant's Details

Application Form (VAF4A)

Appendix 2

Passport

Passport photograph

Thai ID Card

Expired Passports

Payslips *Not essential, I know, but I put a couple of payslips just to show supporting evidence of where my wife is working

Tuberculosis Certificate

English Language Certificate (IELTS for UKVI - A1) *Waiting

Health Surcharge *Presumably I will get a PDF once I submit the online form?

Sponsor's Details

Letter of introduction

Copy of passport

Payslips (6 months)

Bankbook

Copy of work permit

Letter from Current Thai Employer

Offer Letter from UK Employer

Contract from UK Employer

Flight details (to UK then Glasgow) *Probably not necessary but I wanted supporting evidence of (a) the fact I'm still in Thailand and (b) that I plan to go to Glasgow for work etc

>>> This next part is about accommodation (for those that haven't been following we will live with my mother temporarily)  <<<< 

Letter of invitation (Mother)

Photo ID of mother (Driver's license)

Tenancy Agreement

Letter from Housing Association *Clearly stating no objection, that there are rooms available etc etc.

Utility Bill *I found many suggestions recommending this... seems unnecessary as the housing letter and tenancy agreement is proof enough?

Photos of property

Supporting Evidence - Relationship

Son's UK passport

Son's birth certificate (Thai)

Son's birth certificate (MFA approved translation)

Photos of us (2 x A4 montages the very first day we met, wedding, birth of son, trips to UK)

Marriage certificate (Thai Original)

Marriage certificate (MFA approved translation)

One question I have is... should I provide a 4th folder with photocopies, or lump the relevant photocopies in each section OR original, photocopy, original, photocopy etc etc

If there's anything you think I should add... or really doesn't need to be in there - please let me know

Thanks again to all for your your sage advice and for putting up with my constant questions over the last few weeks  :thumbsup:

Edited by globalThailand
For clarity

You don't even need the certificate as you will have to put your Unique Electronic Reference Number that they have already sent you on your application. It still takes about the same time for them to upgrade their records though.

8 hours ago, rasg said:

You don't even need the certificate as you will have to put your Unique Electronic Reference Number that they have already sent you on your application. It still takes about the same time for them to upgrade their records though.

For the English results?  I'll ask the missus to check her email, was expecting EMS delivery yesterday but nothing yet.

As for the list - anything looks out of place? 

Passport photograph - Not needed any more.

Payslips *Not essential, I know, but I put a couple of payslips just to show supporting evidence of where my wife is working - Not needed

Health Surcharge *Presumably I will get a PDF once I submit the online form? - The first thing you pay for. They email you a receipt with the IHS number which you need for your visa application. 

I'm not sure what a bank book is but in the UK you have to provide validated bank statements if they are not originals sent to you by your bank, showing an income of £18600 or more. If they are online statements, staple each month together and get the bank to stamp the front page of each month. Or a letter validating them from your bank. I think you need six months of statements and you need to double check. As I am self employed the requirements are different.

From your lists:

Applicant's details.

Payslips, not needed. Her employment in Thailand is irrelevant as she will be moving to the UK and so, one assumes, terminating that employment.

Sponsor's details.

Flight details, not needed. UKVI recommend not to make any firm arrangements until after the visa has been issued, so they can't complain if such details are not included in the application.

Finances. The documents required to show you meet the financial requirement depend on the way in which you are meeting it. From what you have said I assume that is Category A: With current employer for 6 months or more – overseas sponsor returning to the UK. Details of the documents required can be found in Appendix FM-SE: family members specified evidence, so I suggest that you check there.

Accommodation

Photo ID of mother (Driver's license). Not needed.

Utility bill, not needed.

Photos of property, not needed.

Relationship

Photos of us (2 x A4 montages the very first day we met, wedding, birth of son, trips to UK), not needed.

Edited by 7by7
Addendum

Thanks all,

A bank book is commonly used here, it's like a building society pass book.  It has the bank's name, logo, account name and number on it - along with all the transactions I've had over the last 6 months or so (which match up with the payslips I'll be providing). As far as I can see this meets the required evidence as per A1.1.(aa) The Immigration Rules Appendix FM-SE

7by7, the flight details are my own, not my wife.  Again it's to support some details I've made in the application / letter.  specifically the dates that I can be contacted and on what number etc.  I'm sure it's not essential, and I don't want to overdo things / swamp the ECO with unnecessary stuff - but this felt important to my particular circumstances.

Agree that her payslips and the additional utility bills are an overkill... Will remove those.

Re photo's of ourselves I'm looking at the 'guide to supporting documents > settlement' VER 09 09/12 (Which I think is the latest) and it suggests photos as part of the submission.  Maybe just 1 A4 montage to be safe...

Thanks all

2 hours ago, globalThailand said:

...arr... Someone has been at home all day but apparently the English certificate came, wasn't signed for... and they didn't even leave a slip!   :angry:

We only found out via the online EMS tracking service!

Check your email. You should have online confirmation if they do the same in Thailand that they do in the UK.

One of the benefits of the certificate for us was the mailed letter to our address befroe we were married. It came in useful for FLR a few months later.

I keep reading that you no longer need photos but I always supply them. FLR for us meant that we got married during the six month Fiancée visa and I think they were important and only a few sheets of A4. When there are photo of us with 50 people attending our wedding as guests I think it's a good way of showing we are together...

8 hours ago, globalThailand said:

Uh oh...

Just putting all the documents together and I see my wife has put her family home address (Kanchanaburi) on the TB form...  She's registered there on the house book for voting purposes but in every other part of the application I've put our Bangkok address.  Problem? O.o

Here is the link to the government website that tells you the documents needed.

Here is what it actually says:

printed address in the UK. Note for students: If you do not know your address exactly, please indicate the university/school that you plan to apply for.

It seems that students can be a bit vague for their address. I have no idea if that is the case for a settlement visa.

I've just taken a look at my wife's cert. UK address is on her form along with her home address that is on her house book but she only has one in Thailand. The heading says, full residential address.

Edited by rasg

Apologies I realise I wasn't clear with that post - the UK address is fine but she's put her Kan address when filling in her full residential address for Thailand.  She was told that it had to be the same address as that on her ID card.  I could copy her house book ID, but afaik it's in Thai... which would mean a notarised translation... which would be a nightmare to sort right now (seeing as the house book is in Kan)

Do you think a note in the 'additional info' would be advised?

...actually now that I think about it - there's not really any solid evidence that we both live at this BKK address.  I don't recall seeing any requirements or advice on the guidance sheets.  For previous tourist visas that was always clear as we'd include property my wife owns (house in Kan, house here) as proof of ongoing 'concerns' in Thailand.. Any recommendations?

20 hours ago, globalThailand said:

Re photo's of ourselves I'm looking at the 'guide to supporting documents > settlement' VER 09 09/12 (Which I think is the latest) and it suggests photos as part of the submission.  Maybe just 1 A4 montage to be safe...

The guide says

It is not a list of documents that you must submit. We do not expect you to provide all of the documents listed below, it is for you to decide which documents are most relevant to your application.

In the evidence of relationship part it does suggest, among other things,

photographs of your wedding, civil partnership ceremony or other time spent together

These may be useful in situations where sponsor and applicant have not known each other for very long; but in your case, married for 7 years and have a child together, I don't see that they are needed.

But it's up to you.

18 hours ago, globalThailand said:

Uh oh...

Just putting all the documents together and I see my wife has put her family home address (Kanchanaburi) on the TB form...  She's registered there on the house book for voting purposes but in every other part of the application I've put our Bangkok address.  Problem? O.o

Not sure why she's on her family's house book in Kanchanaburi, and that is also the address on her ID card as well, when she lives in Bangkok, but that's your and her business.

Wouldn't worry about it, though. Simply make a note in the additional information box or your covering letter.

7 hours ago, globalThailand said:

I could copy her house book ID, but afaik it's in Thai... which would mean a notarised translation...

Translations for UKVI do not have to be notarised; simply contain, in English,

• confirmation from the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document  
  • the date of the translation  
  • the translator's full name and signature  
  • the translator's contact details.

You may wish to have translations of important documents, such as your marriage certificate and your wife and son's birth certificates, notarised by the MFA, though. Although this isn't required in the UK, it will be needed for some other countries; such as applying for Schengen visas.

Thanks again 7by7 - I'm over thinking it again it seems.  Will add a note in the additional information and leave it at that. 

The very first time we ever applied for a visit visa it was refused for lack of supporting evidence and ever since I've tried to make sure every claim  made in the application has some way of being verified.  I'm having to remind myself that not everything is necessary - for example in Appendix 2 it asks when we lived together, and I've put details of our first place back in 2008 then did a mental check of what I could provide to support this claim.  I finally gave up though, some things are just lost to the past...

Well... It is done.  Submitted and paid for the application today!  A big thanks to all for your help, in particular 7by7, rasg, and theoldgit.

Seems like the exchange rate they used was rather favourable for UKVI... Unless there were some visa card charges I'm not aware of the visa itself was 1554 USD and the IHS was 780 (Making it 1.3 USD to the £).... But looking a today's rates (1.22) the actual cost was £1270!

One other question I have. The IHS is paid for the length of the visa but only in yearly increments, so we have to pay for 3 full years. When it comes to the next visa, do you have to pay for an additional 3 years or just 2?... (I think I can guess the answer but seriously, if they charge you for 3 years that's pretty much state sponsored extortion)

Anyway, thanks again. Documents submitted next week so I may have a few more questions. Will keep you posted.

2 hours ago, globalThailand said:

Well... It is done.  Submitted and paid for the application today!  A big thanks to all for your help, in particular 7by7, rasg, and theoldgit.

Seems like the exchange rate they used was rather favourable for UKVI... Unless there were some visa card charges I'm not aware of the visa itself was 1554 USD and the IHS was 780 (Making it 1.3 USD to the £).... But looking a today's rates (1.22) the actual cost was £1270!

One other question I have. The IHS is paid for the length of the visa but only in yearly increments, so we have to pay for 3 full years. When it comes to the next visa, do you have to pay for an additional 3 years or just 2?... (I think I can guess the answer but seriously, if they charge you for 3 years that's pretty much state sponsored extortion)

Anyway, thanks again. Documents submitted next week so I may have a few more questions. Will keep you posted.

UKVI do very well by charging in US Dollars at a poor rate. My wife's settlement (Fiancée) visa price was bumped up very nicely from £956 to over a £1000 when the visa bill came in. It's a disgrace.

FLR is 30 months (2 1/2 years) and surprisingly you do pay £500 and not £600. It is state sponsored extortion when the true cost of a visa is about £170... My MP is Boris and I have a couple of things to talk to him about in the new year and this will be one of them. Ohh. And my wife wants a selfie with him!

As rasg says, UKVI do very well by charging in USD and then using their own exchange rate for the currency conversion.

There is no reason why they have to charge in USD rather than Sterling; their service provider, World Pay, will process payments in any currency the customer chooses. Attached is the reply I eventually received when I questioned this practice with the then Immigration Minister when it was first introduced. As you can see, that reply is meaningless waffle which carefully avoided answering my actual question, which was asking why they charge in USD and not Sterling!

The health surcharge is calculated on 6 monthly intervals; so as the initial leave is valid for 33 months this is rounded up to 3 years. FLR is valid for 30 months, so when she applies for this it will be charged at 2.5 times the annual rate.

Visa fees in USD.doc

Edited by 7by7
Correct typo