Quality English TV here in CM?

LannaGuy

On ‎26‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:29 AM, jonwilly said:

Would one of the EXPERTS treat me as a VIRGIN and explain in basic just how Expat TV "Connects' without going through a Computer.

I am one of the MUGS who has True Platinum at B24K /year and this deteriorates in Channels as the years go bye.

I will be happy if I can get UK TV and watch Formula 1 and the Motorcycle racing.

john

No time waster Please.

get an android box and install mobdro then watch F1 on Skysports F1 and motogp on BTsports2

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, jonwilly said:

A little information for folk like me who need help.

I will be buying the Most capable (4Meg ?)  box I can and I am open to advice from people who know what they are talking about.

http://www.bestandroidtvbox.net/

https://www.android.com/intl/en_ca/tv/xiaomi-mi-box/

https://www.amazon.com/android-box/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aandroid box

john

Big C sell an android box for 2900 baht and it has the best front end ( simple interface) out of any of the android boxes I've bought. Only one problem, this happens with all the small android boxes I've bought, it runs very hot as it has no cooling fan. We've installed these in our rental bungalows as they can be configured running Kodi for most languages.

1 hour ago, hml367 said:

My guess is based on the posts in this thread and questions some are posing. I think people will have trouble that is something that actually works as plug-and-play is supposed to work.

It is just an observation.

I agree Kodi has a learning curve.. I think thats not so steep, and has huge rewards in the results it can do, a well set up kodi system rivals the kind of whole home media solution that would have cost 100s of 1000s of usd only a handful of years back. However, for the tech phobic yes it has some work.. You need to watch some videos on youtube, you need to learn a little. 

But if you just get a good android box.. Pay for iLikeHD, use super simple apps like mobdro, like popcorn time, possibly add iPlayer (with a DNS tool like unotelly) or filmontv.. and you really cant go wrong. 

For someone who wants 'just work' filmon at 15 usd a month for the HD streams is what 1/5th of true ?? For 500 channels. Use the paid tools until your happy with Kodi and the free options, or combine what works. 

25 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

I agree Kodi has a learning curve.. I think thats not so steep, and has huge rewards in the results it can do, a well set up kodi system rivals the kind of whole home media solution that would have cost 100s of 1000s of usd only a handful of years back. However, for the tech phobic yes it has some work.. You need to watch some videos on youtube, you need to learn a little. 

But if you just get a good android box.. Pay for iLikeHD, use super simple apps like mobdro, like popcorn time, possibly add iPlayer (with a DNS tool like unotelly) or filmontv.. and you really cant go wrong. 

For someone who wants 'just work' filmon at 15 usd a month for the HD streams is what 1/5th of true ?? For 500 channels. Use the paid tools until your happy with Kodi and the free options, or combine what works. 

Thanks for this info, but for us "old geezers" its still hard to comprehend even all the names of things you talk of..ie popcorn time, unotelly ,etc ,etc without using Mr Google to help, and thats easy enough done, but it is all rather overwhelming.

The learning curve no doubt will have huge rewards, but hell, after a bit of research i just lose interest..its all so foreign to me.  such is life huh

KISS is the main criteria for me [ and, no doubt many others]

Anyway, you mention iLikeHD..do you recommend it?   looking at the link i posted a couple of days ago, #45  it seemed to have all that i want to watch, and seemed quite straight forward to the guy showing it [who appears to be about the same level as myself techwise] and the box etc is all part and parcel of the set up.

No having to choose which one or other boxes is best, and as he said, his wi fi is not that good, but he still gets good viewing.

Do you agree with what he showed, and my assumption of the 'ease' of this one?

Appreciate your help.

Edited by happyas

19 hours ago, NancyL said:

So, you've got to have a reliable internet connection for Expat TV to work, right?  One of the few good things about Truevisions is that it's satellite TV and not tied into whether your internet is working. 

The news that True is losing all the HBO-related channels has just about caused me to pack it in with True.  Are there any other legitimate ways to get the HBO suite of channels here with a full robust offering of other movie and news channels delivered from a source that doesn't depend on your internet working?  i.e. satellite or cable in Chiang Mai? 

The internet connection does not need to be particularly great. When we built our house about 6 years ago the only service available was the basic one from TOT and Expat worked reasonably well on that. If I remember right the problems started when the download speed dropped to about 2.5 Mb/s, we were supposed to get 7 but being on the end of the line it was usually in the 3/4 range which was ok for the TV. As soon as 3BB came to the area we kicked TOT into touch and changed to the 3BB 11 Mb/s service, again the best available.

At the end of the day it is a question of what kind of TV you want. I want UK channels and prefer BBC as I hate advertising, although with Expat you can just click through. There are also 10 SKY channels which are also advert free.

I I have been subscribing to Thai Expat UK TV for about four years

It is necessary to have a good internet signal otherwise " freezing" occurs

They supply an android box with a wireless connection

It is very easy to use even by Luddites like myself they have made several improvements over the last year or two

In the event you experience a problem the service is excellent

I don't see anything on the Expat TV website them having any movie channels like the HBO or Fox suite of channels, no TBS and few news channels.  Def no CNN.  

Their website never seems to get updated (laziness) and the channel list is not accurate, send them an email if you can and they will hopefully send you a current list. .... and tell them to update their website as they may have a few customers coming their way!

So if a whole lot of people in Thailand switch from TrueVisiona (cable and satellite) to streaming internet, and the one gateway comes into effect, will the internet feed into Thailand be able to handle the surge in bandwidth use?  There seems to be complaints in abundance already from people downloading moves and the like.

By the way, our house already has a "streaming box" which came with the AIS Fibre package for free.  Thai channels are free and maybe some others. I watched a couple movies during the "free" period, but have not needed to upgrade since then.  I think it was from HOOQ or something like that.

"To put it simply an Android box,is a small computer,"

Thank you for that comment.

After a nights sleep I did a You Tube serach and there is so much there.

I am a Mac user and have a Good contact on Macs so I can go and ask them.

john

Much appreciated to all who have helped.

17 hours ago, sandyf said:

The internet connection does not need to be particularly great. When we built our house about 6 years ago the only service available was the basic one from TOT and Expat worked reasonably well on that. If I remember right the problems started when the download speed dropped to about 2.5 Mb/s, we were supposed to get 7 but being on the end of the line it was usually in the 3/4 range which was ok for the TV. As soon as 3BB came to the area we kicked TOT into touch and changed to the 3BB 11 Mb/s service, again the best available.

At the end of the day it is a question of what kind of TV you want. I want UK channels and prefer BBC as I hate advertising, although with Expat you can just click through. There are also 10 SKY channels which are also advert free.

10 Sky channels on Thai Expat TV ?

23 hours ago, NancyL said:

I don't see anything on the Expat TV website them having any movie channels like the HBO or Fox suite of channels, no TBS and few news channels.  Def no CNN.  

Several news channels including CNN, see previous post.

9 hours ago, jonwilly said:

"To put it simply an Android box,is a small computer,"

Thank you for that comment.

After a nights sleep I did a You Tube serach and there is so much there.

I am a Mac user and have a Good contact on Macs so I can go and ask them.

john

Much appreciated to all who have helped.

Sent you PM

1 hour ago, Lizard2010 said:

I believe that there are some Australian Channels added

Is this correct?

A couple of weeks ago there was a free trial period of all Aus TV Channels.I was quite happy just with Australia Plus so I didnt take it up.

Australia Plus is from the ABC similar to BBC, funded by Aus Gov.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've currently subscribed Thaiexpat.tv, and I'm 80% satisfied that. Since I'm not native English speaker, I look for the service like that with English subtitle. Does anyone know that kind of service. I would not care if the service from US or U.K. Besides, I'm happy to pay for it.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect