US Netflix Workaround. Any good/New Solutions?

Strange

Been a couple months since I looked into this. 

Curious to know what you guys are doing currently to get around Netflix US restrictions here in Thailand. 

I have a Macbook laptop. My router is not DDWRT. I have a Minix Box Android Box. 

Before the nexflix crackdown I was using my PS4 to watch netflix as I could get full HD where as my Android Box was only SD. Apparently its still the same. Netflix isn't compatible in full HD on the Android Boxes. 

So how are you guys doing it, if at all? Whats your system for working around the restrictions? 

I use ExpressVPN, works like a charm.It is unfortunately not free, I have a yearly subscription, which comes out at US$ 8.32 per month.Have been using it for 1 month now, no problem.

There was a problem in the start, could not connect.Contacted their support service, and after they knew I was in Thailand, they recommended I connect using their server in Denver USA,

since that I have viewed Netflix US every day.

I think you'd find that Netflix U.S. is available via various paid VPN providers, despite Netflix's crackdown.

What's often the case, however, with any particular providers, is that perhaps only a few server locations/addresses out of their broader server/locations array will work with Netflix. So the customer has to contact customer support and have that conversation, to identify what if any of their servers are going to get the job done. And then use those as required.

NetFlix is getting quite adept, and aggressive, at identifying what they consider ToS violations. Many apps/devices leak IP, they can even identify a difference in the local device clock.

http://memeburn.com/2016/12/netflix-tool-tracks-vpns/

http://addonhq.com/checkflix/

The solution is to sort all the international licensing issues but those are very complex.

1 hour ago, RachielDoff said:

Netflix blocked almost all vpn (both paid and free). Only ExpressVNP still works on Netflix but i don't know if it lasts long. Netflix always try to ban all vpn. I used to use Psiphon free vpn 6 months ago, i worked pretty well, but now................

That's simply not true re Netflix having blocked "almost all."  There are plenty of options that will work perfectly fine, if someone takes the time to seek out the working options.

I'll just take a wild flyer here...

Because it actually costs money to produce the movies and TV series people want to watch, and if no one was paying to view them either directly or indirectly through advertising, then they wouldn't get made.

Not to mention the fact that much of the TV and movie content available via Kodi is being put online by third parties in violation of copyright laws.

On 12/20/2016 at 8:55 AM, sjoegge said:

I use ExpressVPN, works like a charm.It is unfortunately not free, I have a yearly subscription, which comes out at US$ 8.32 per month.Have been using it for 1 month now, no problem.

There was a problem in the start, could not connect.Contacted their support service, and after they knew I was in Thailand, they recommended I connect using their server in Denver USA,

How are you using it? 

On your laptop watching netflix through your web browser with ExpressVPN enabled? 

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's simply not true re Netflix having blocked "almost all."  There are plenty of options that will work perfectly fine, if someone takes the time to seek out the working options.

From before the crackdown, to now, yeah its almost all. Not only that but there were other options out there other than VPN that worked very well, specially for devices that could not download or use a VPN. 

Is it against forum rules to be detailed on your specific workaround? Because you say "If someone takes the time to seek out" working options - and it appears to be the case topic of this thread. 

Would be helpful if you posted your solution and how you are using it - instead of being vague and pointing people to "seek out" options. 

3 hours ago, Mooner said:

Just get kodi and watch all Netflixs. Im perplexed as to why anyone would pay for movies or series over here!

The main reason is Netflix picture quality is about a billion times better than any kodi stream. Same with the audio. 

It also works flawlessly compared to Kodi sorting through crappy streams, crappy audio, etc... Its not like netflix is expensive. Its like $10 a month. Pocket change for a massive library with spectacular picture quality & audio. 

You sound like you dont use Kodi.I watch 1080 movies on Kodi with perfect sound and no buffering. No sorting through crappy streams. Just use Exodus.

Also im not limited to Netflix content.

Only issues with Kodi is if you try to watch live tv.

17 minutes ago, Mooner said:

You sound like you dont use Kodi.I watch 1080 movies on Kodi with perfect sound and no buffering. No sorting through crappy streams. Just use Exodus.

Also im not limited to Netflix content.

Only issues with Kodi is if you try to watch live tv.

I have a minix neo X8 android box fully setup and use exodus. 1080p on exodus and 1080p on netflix is not the same. Audio not the same. I also have Netflix + a 60" Ultra HD capable TV. 

1080p is "good" on exodus, certainly better than the SD streams, but they are usually copied using sub-par methods, then re-scaled upwards to 1080p making the picture not as crisp as native HD Netflix streams. 

I don't have buffering problems on Exodus, but exodus are just sub-par copies of original HD upscaled to make the files smaller but picture larger. Just because it says 1080p does not mean its a 'real' 1080p HD stream. 

Edited by Aggressive

49 minutes ago, Aggressive said:

From before the crackdown, to now, yeah its almost all.

No, it's not.

I already explained it above. paid/subscription VPNs are businesses who only stay in business if they meet the needs of their paying customers. (I'm not talking about freebie VPN providers here).

I think you'd find, if you contact various of the major paid VPN providers via their online chat channels and ask them about the ability of their service to work with Netflix U.S., you'll find quite a few that can provide that service still. And if the VPN you're dealing with can't provide that service, there are others that can and do.

As I mentioned above, it may not be all of any particular providers' server locations that will work, but it's likely to be at least some. And the VPNs are generally happy to work with their paying customers to set up the right connections.  But you do have to ASK! If you just sign up and try connecting via any random server selection, it's likely NOT to work (and that is a change from the past).

If you're looking for specific provider recommendations for that purpose, it's better to ask here via PM than via public posting.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If you're looking for specific provider recommendations for that purpose, it's better to ask here via PM than via public posting.

Is it against forum rules to talk about VPN providers and their locations & rate in detail? 

Cause I was going to list the ones that I have paid and tried with my system that didn't work. 

Its easier to ask the help of other Thailand expats doing the same thing - as in helping each other out - rather than randomly trying stuff & paying for it. Im assuming thats the point of the OP. 

As far as I'm concerned, I'm well aware of everything ur saying but they all do - not - work and I have no problem paying for the service. 

Edited by Aggressive

14 minutes ago, Aggressive said:

Is it against forum rules to talk about VPN providers and their locations & rate in detail? 

No, I don't believe it is.

But, if you use a little common sense, you might consider that publicly posting a particular VPN provider as being able to evade Netflix's restrictions might not be in the best interest of keeping that service's capability intact.

On 12/20/2016 at 8:55 AM, sjoegge said:

Can confirm Express VPN on Denver USA server works on my Macbook Pro through Safari Web Browser. 

Within 1 minute of viewing I'm in HD. Started out really low res but within a minute got up to full HD. 

Screen Shot 2016-12-21 at 6.05.38 PM.png

Torguard with the Private IP works for me!  I have OpenVPN client installed on an ASUS AC88U using ASUSWRT Merlin's firmware.  My Roku player is hooked  up to the router with a CAT7 cable. I use a step down converter on the Roku 4 player. Streaming quality is excellent. SlingTV, Neutfluckus, Hulu Hoops, CBS, PBS channels, etc.. all work great. I like to watch college football and like the quality. SlingTV just started a cloud DVR service so I can record those 1AM games. I took the 3bb modem/router and changed it to Bridge Mode and turned off DHCP and the radios. So now, it is basically a modem. I have two AC88U's hooked up. One is VPN all devices. The other one set up to use native wan for all devices except for a second Roku player for another family member.  This way, I avoid any double NAT and can take advantage of the great ASUSWRT Merlin firmware.

Edited by Xentrk
additional information

3 hours ago, Xentrk said:

I like to watch college football and like the quality. SlingTV just started a cloud DVR service so I can record those 1AM games.

I too have and use SlingTV, and have it on a Roku device, among other platforms.  But I've yet to see any DVR functionality show up on my Sling Roku app.

GetFlix (getflix.com.au) is very good - Doesn't use a VPN or Proxy so there isn't any deterioration in line speed. All it does is change your DNS requests so it looks like your computer is in the US. This service also works very well with BBC iPlayer, 4oD and other online TV websites that are Geo-Restricted

• 8 months later...