‘Christmas miracle’ delivers Phuket GM medivac to Germany

webfact

‘Christmas miracle’ delivers Phuket GM medivac to Germany

The Phuket News

1482230921_1-org.jpg

Matthias Jaeckel, the Hotel Manager at the Aleenta Phuket Resort in Khok Kloi, Phang Nga, has landed in his home town of Frankfurt, Germany, where he remains in intensive care. Photo: Help for Mathias / Facebook

PHUKET: -- Matthias Jaeckel, the Hotel Manager at the Aleenta Phuket Resort in Khok Kloi, Phang Nga, who was rushed to Bangkok Hospital Phuket after a cardiac arrest in November, has arrived in Germany, where he is in intensive care in his home town of Frankfurt.

The news was posted on the “Help for Matthias” Facebook page on Sunday (Dec 18). 

Angelika Ilter and Oliver Horn, who is General Manager at InterContinental Hotels Group, set up two accounts for donations after they launched an appeal to help cover mounting medical bills as Mr Jaeckel remained minimally responsive but comatose since his cardiac arrest on Nov 22.

Friend Gerdy Muller also set up a GoFundMe page titled “Help For Matthias”, as Ms Ilter flew to Phuket to oversee arrangements for Mr Jaeckel’s medivac to Germany.

“After a very stressful week, because it was almost impossible to get an Emergency Ambulance in Frankfurt, the flight had to be paid, and some other difficulties, I could after all manage to get Matthias flown out to Frankfurt with Dr Melcher and his assistant and me,” Ms Ilter reported on Sunday.

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-12-21

“Thank you so much to everyone who made this possible,” she said.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/christmas-miracle-delivers-phuket-gm-medivac-to-germany-60333.php

Being an hotel manager, one would have assumed he would have had a comprehensive insurance policy ?

This is an issue that's been raised already. (Facebook)
He wasn't covered properly and was let down by his employer.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, sebastion said:

This is an issue that's been raised already. (Facebook)
He wasn't covered properly and was let down by his employer.

I don't do Facebook, finished my teen years a long time ago.

I tend to comment on the topic, and any relevant attached articles, in this case The Phuket News..

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

I don't do Facebook, finished my teen years a long time ago.

I tend to comment on the topic, and any relevant attached articles, in this case The Phuket News..

+ 1.

How pathetic that people assume we are all on Facebook? I for one prefer life the way it was, when we lived our lives in the real world.

+ 1.

How pathetic that people assume we are all on Facebook? I for one prefer life the way it was, when we lived our lives in the real world.

I also don't use Facebook. I'm a gm at a hotel so I hear it through HR departments. He wasn't covered whatsoever but was supposed to be included in his package. Illegal yes, will anybody be held accountable? Nope.

28 minutes ago, sebastion said:

I also don't use Facebook. I'm a gm at a hotel so I hear it through HR departments. He wasn't covered whatsoever but was supposed to be included in his package. Illegal yes, will anybody be held accountable? Nope.

That would be a violation of his contract, presuming it was in that. So he would have to sue his employer.

That would be a violation of his contract, presuming it was in that. So he would have to sue his employer.

Sure. Huge violation. Doubt he has much money left to pursue that or the time. It's up to you as the employee to check it's all together. I wouldn't trust it any other way here with a Thai employer. Saving baht is always a priority.

56 minutes ago, sebastion said:

Sure. Huge violation. Doubt he has much money left to pursue that or the time. It's up to you as the employee to check it's all together. I wouldn't trust it any other way here with a Thai employer. Saving baht is always a priority.

He is in a western country now again. Could lead to 2 things, either he or his family decides to forget about it, leave it behind, or they decide that they want vengeance.

1 hour ago, sebastion said:

Really bad order. 22 years ago I worked at a hotel in BKK, Swiss management. Just a few months into my contract I needed surgery and was covered. I was in a middle management position. A GM not covered by insurance is scandalous.

Edited by freebyrd