"Grab Car" attack on passenger - Thai public ask what is better: Grab or regular taxi?

webfact

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, bodymassagemyfriend said:

I will tell you...

Every time i go to Manila , i take Grab a car and the service was PERFECT which means

1- Courteous driver

2- NEVER asked any kind of tip or even 1 pesos extra ( 1 peso =0.5 bhat )

Price agreed is price paid AND the GPS Internet is much worse than in Thailand so saying GPS did not work in Bangkok really made me laugh.

There is simply no excuse and comparison with Manila where the traffic is far worse than in Bangkok.

3-You give a rating at the end so if the driver is a crook, give him 1/5 stars. You can see the rating for the driver you select so its quite an incentive to behave properly

4-You just wait the taxi in the lobby , you see on the map where he is and the ETA.

5-Your friend can track you in real time. Which adds to safety. The Taxi plate number is registered ( so no need to take a picture as the man did)

As oppose to this , if you take a Taxi in Manila , many will ask 3 times the fare or request a tip after.

There is simply NO comparison.

Also the price i was quoted from Manila to Angeles City was 2000 + freeway fee ( around 300 pesos ) and that is a faire price  ( horrible private Bus do it for 600 ) regular bus for 135 pesos but leave you 2 kms away at the bus station. Regular taxi quoted 5000 from the airport.

In summary , the problem is not Grab A Car  ...

true, 

even in Singapore where I m from, friends and family are going with Grab or Uber.

the reasons are same as quoted n mostly its for the agreed price.

Some of my Dad's friends have switch to Grab as well, cos there's no need for Meter and to dispute any pre-agreed price charges. 

I was Almost attacked by an Uber driver in Jakarta after he changed his mind taking me from Jakarta to Bandung trying to renegotiate the fare which i refused to accept except that indicatedon the App.Police came but nothing happened at the end as he accused me of kicking him???

Last week Uber taxi from Suvarnbhumi to Ladphrao soi 130 usually 165bt but was charged 350baht incl tolls.??

Next is Airbnb,Pattaya as many so called hosts are nothing but unscrupulous agents who pretend to own few flats one has 28 in 2 different buildings. When I complained to airbnb i was given 35$ cr to shut upand not to carry out my threat to expose them as they have been using unethical tactics to extort more money from guests ?

7 hours ago, sotonowl said:

Irony alert, with a tag line like that, take it you're skint now, serves you right, peasant,LOL

Says the chump languishing in a bedsit somewhere in Blighty saving his shelf-stacker wages for his bi-annual junket to a Pattaya guest house

One problem I see with GPS in Bkk, you loose connection with the Satellites very frequently due to all the multilevel expressways and overpass everywhere, as well as high rise buildings. Google Maps does not do anything intelligent such as extrapolate your travel path or use the wireless stations and mobile towers to guess your position when it looses connection with the satellites. Also when you travel on one road and connection gets unreliable (i.e. only one or two satellites connected) suddenly your car is transported to a completely different road with a totally new route calculated, software should be able to figure out you cant just jump your car 100m from one road to another completely different road.

So point is; being a Grab driver and not knowing your city maybe is not the best solution for transport in Bkk, if you rely only on Google maps.

Does anyone have a tip about an alternative map/GPS app that does a better job with unreliable satellite connections than Google? Unfortunately Google Maps is the best app when it comes to showing where there is traffic plugs, as it monitors all android devices along the road.

Edited by AlQaholic

20 hours ago, djayz said:

I simply don't understand the concept behing Grab A Car/Taxi or Uber. 

Why not just hail / order a standard taxi? 

As far as I can see, it's a private car being used as a taxi. What about insurancw in the event of an accident? Who controls them? 

Over a year ago we were stuck in the rain, I tried using Grab taxi on the app,  the only responses I received were the usual, Meter doesn't work 300 Baht for a 1 mile ride to BTS.  We found a regular taxi that appreciated the 10 Baht tip on the 65 Baht metered fare. 

Crazy to take a picture when there is a record of the transaction.

Grab has many, many, many services including GrabTaxi and GrabCar; GrabHitch (sharing) is in beta here.

I use GrabTaxi often (~ 200 times) when in places where there are no passing taxis, and GrabCar (~ 15 times) when I can't get a GrabTaxi. Both have worked quite well for me. It's a great app., and easy to use.

GrabTaxi is simply an internet/mobile-phone based application which links regular metered taxis/drivers with passengers.

Central World, Bumrungrad and even a few hotels (and many more I suspect) are using GrabTaxi exclusively for departing taxi services. The booking fee is 25 baht. The booking fee for a radio-dispatched taxi is 20 baht, and never really worked all that well for me over the past 15 years.

On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎21 at 1:40 PM, djayz said:

I simply don't understand the concept behing Grab A Car/Taxi or Uber. 

Why not just hail / order a standard taxi? 

As far as I can see, it's a private car being used as a taxi. What about insurancw in the event of an accident? Who controls them? 

In Singapore, Uber can be much cheaper than taxis depending on the time of day and promotions. I've had rides there for 30 cents with promotions. The big advantage, however, is that you cannot be ripped off. The fare is set in advance and does not change unless one changes the destination. I used Uber in Bali recently to go from Kuta to Ubud. The driver grumbled about it, but they can't make too much of a problem because you can complain and they could lose their 'job' altogether. The price was much better than getting a taxi off the street (which would involve prolonged negotiations, etc.).  

I don't know about Grab, but Uber sends you an email with trip and car info ... you wouldn't need to take a pic of the person's car as in this case.

10 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

One problem I see with GPS in Bkk, you loose connection with the Satellites very frequently due to all the multilevel expressways and overpass everywhere, as well as high rise buildings. Google Maps does not do anything intelligent such as extrapolate your travel path or use the wireless stations and mobile towers to guess your position when it looses connection with the satellites. Also when you travel on one road and connection gets unreliable (i.e. only one or two satellites connected) suddenly your car is transported to a completely different road with a totally new route calculated, software should be able to figure out you cant just jump your car 100m from one road to another completely different road.

So point is; being a Grab driver and not knowing your city maybe is not the best solution for transport in Bkk, if you rely only on Google maps.

Does anyone have a tip about an alternative map/GPS app that does a better job with unreliable satellite connections than Google? Unfortunately Google Maps is the best app when it comes to showing where there is traffic plugs, as it monitors all android devices along the road.

Hmmm... that's strange. Uber in Singapore does not recalculate the route mid-trip even if connection is lost. And I've only seen the connection lost when in underground/undersea tunnels there. It will only recalculate if the driver deviates from the original route for some reason

13 hours ago, Docno said:

Hmmm... that's strange. Uber in Singapore does not recalculate the route mid-trip even if connection is lost. And I've only seen the connection lost when in underground/undersea tunnels there. It will only recalculate if the driver deviates from the original route for some reason

Yeah, I have done some research.....turns out there is a dedicated chip in android phones that takes care of all this, it will use the satellites and mobile towers and any other signals it can find to try to pinpoint your location, if there are no satellites it will try to estimate by using mobile towers and wifi. Android software takes no part in this, it is all hardware in that specific chip. Android phones....depending on their cost, is not very good at connecting to the satellites, dedicated GPS nav systems such as Garmin does that much better, so I just found my old HP navigation system Bluetooth thingie which I used with my iPAQ phone like 100 years ago, powered it up (had to fix up a new power source, the old one long lost), bluethooted it with my android phone, downloaded app "Bluetooth GPS" from the store and voila!! it works, now I have reliable GPS!

Edited by AlQaholic