Whole duck for roast

CLW

Whole uncooked ducks are usually available at most of the big markets, frozen (Big-c, Tesco, Makro, Tops, Villa, etc.)  Some also have whole de-frosted ones  near the chicken in the meat section.  They are very popular here.

1 hour ago, CLW said:

Found half roasted duck, frozen, at my Big C. But seasoned already.
Will continue looking around.

You surely cannot be serious? Why would you even think of going to Tops, Villa etc  for such basics?

Finding a whole, fresh Duck, Chicken - or even a Goose if you are really connected to the Christmas "Spirit" - is no problem, it's certainly there in your ตลาดสด or "local market" in Thailand if you just look.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

8 hours ago, p_brownstone said:

You surely cannot be serious? Why would you even think of going to Tops, Villa etc  for such basics?

Finding a whole, fresh Duck, Chicken - or even a Goose if you are really connected to the Christmas "Spirit" - is no problem, it's certainly there in your ตลาดสด or "local market" in Thailand if you just look.

Patrick

Really!! 

My local market has two pork stalls, two chicken stalls and one beef stall.  I can order a duck from one of the chicken ladies on the Wednesday walking market who sells Betagrow chickens and she will bring it the next week.  Otherwise it's a trip to Tesco, 120 kilometers round trip, and hope that they will have one other than the frozen preseasoned CP ones.  Otherwise it's take away from MK next to Tesco which is good but expensive.

The place is abound with them around Chinese holidays but at other times they're scarce.

nothing like a fresh duck or goose.

i like to bath the duck in,soy sauce,whole lemon sliced,honey,ginger,half saucepan of water bring to the boil and ladle the liquid over the duck. hang the duck on a hook over a tray overnight,next day half hr.in a 220 degree over for half hr.then a futher 1hr.at 170.

use the fat for roast tatties,

skin,meat,spring onion,cu. and some chinese pancakes and bbq.sauce. aroy

9 hours ago, wayned said:

Really!! 

My local market has two pork stalls, two chicken stalls and one beef stall.  I can order a duck from one of the chicken ladies on the Wednesday walking market who sells Betagrow chickens and she will bring it the next week.  Otherwise it's a trip to Tesco, 120 kilometers round trip, and hope that they will have one other than the frozen preseasoned CP ones.  Otherwise it's take away from MK next to Tesco which is good but expensive.

The place is abound with them around Chinese holidays but at other times they're scarce.

my local market has got ducks all over the place, dressed and hangin' for insepection/selection in the market stalls, must be at least 2 of them...we ain't got no beef stall though...

when I first hitched up with the wife we were in Abu Dhabi and she got a frozen duck from carrefor...she couldn't get her head around using the oven in our flat so she cooked it whole stovetop inna wok turning it over constantly...turned out OK and I showed her how to use the oven the next time...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

17 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

my local market has got ducks all over the place, dressed and hangin' for insepection/selection in the market stalls, must be at least 2 of them...we ain't got no beef stall though...

A lot will depend upon the local population mix.  Duck isn't particularly popular with ethnic Thais, but is loved by the Thai-Chinese.  Beef similarly isn't popular with Buddhist Thais, but is with Moslems (as is goat).