Visarun Hat Lek short rant

Hi, this is just to let any interested people know that at the Hat Lek border there is NO problem whatsoever for a " same day return" when one is holding a non-immigrant-O visa. It's different apparently at Poipet). I did notice, that upon return to the Thai side the immigration officer took much longer than usual to inspect my passport and stamps. Otherwise the Thai immigration is perfectly civil.

Some information concerning the Cambodia immigration side:

They try, as usual, to make you pay 20 baht for a "health inspection". Don't pay, just laugh. Inspections are free in Cambodia, and you are within your right to ask the guy to show you the original document to prove it. He will point a a big sign to his right. Just keep laughing, and walk away.

The tout. There are two ways to deal with this, either ignore them, and take care of business yourself (I did, once, got the respective offices wrong, and was made to wait 2 hours while they were bickering over how to divvy up the 1200 baht that I put inside the passport for the visa. In the end I was stamped out without a cambodian visa, everybody but me won) The way I do it is that I hold out 50 baht, and ask him if he wants the job. If he says no, just walk away - he will change his mind.

Now for the most important part: the cost of the visa. I've been playing this game for 9 years, and first it was a 1000 Baht, and last year - after some insistence on my part- still only 1200.

Now it has gone up to a whopping 1600. After objecting loudly I was put in a room with 3 immigration mobsters, and it was a loosing game from beginning to end for me. To be blindly robbed by thugs like this is what it must feel like if you are held up in the middle of the night with a knife on your throath, and not being able to stop the thieves from getting away with your hard earned  weekly salary.

If I were Rambo and  in possession of a hammer , things really, really, might have gotten bloody.

Anyway, you catch my drift, I was thoroughly pissed of. Insiders told me, that if you come with 3 crisp 10-dollar bills (as it says in the book) the wait will be interminable, and that E-visa's  (marginally cheaper at 1350 baht) will likewise not receive a happy reception at this sub-station of Hades.

Oh, and there is , of course, the additional 300 baht fee to pay for the "same day back" privilege.

My next exit will be via Suvernabhumi back to civilization.I'm looking forward to it already.

I am assuming this was a DIY job, i.e. just you doing all the arrangements yourself.

May I suggest the following costs if you don't want to wait for hours.

The visa, pay $30 + 100 Baht.

U-turn fee or "same day back", pay 50 Baht.

Smile a bit, complain a bit, cajole a bit, wheedle a bit. They will do it.

Shortly some keyboard warriors will be along to swear on their mother's life they have never paid a satang more than the official fee and they glared down the Cambo officials who wai'ed them, apologised and immediately attended to their passports. Humour them.

I fully agree with you that the Hat Lek border (Cambo side) is generally an unpleasant experience. In fact so much so for me, I choose to use other crossings.

7 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

just get an e-Visa it's so easy and then you don't give these people the opportunity to cheat you

Have you been to Hat Lek?

Whilst I agree that an e-visa reduces the hassle, you still have plenty of opportunities to be cheated as follows :-

1. The medical fee

2. The very persistent and very rude 'taxi boy' touts/porters demanding you pay them and the officials

3. The stamping in process

4. The stamping out process aka the U-turn fee

You need to have experience and resolve and you still need to be patient as they will force you to wait a long time. Even if you don't pay extra to or for any of the above 4 processes, it will still be an unpleasant experience.

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

Have you been to Hat Lek?

Whilst I agree that an e-visa reduces the hassle, you still have plenty of opportunities to be cheated as follows :-

1. The medical fee

2. The very persistent and very rude 'taxi boy' touts/porters demanding you pay them and the officials

3. The stamping in process

4. The stamping out process aka the U-turn fee

You need to have experience and resolve and you still need to be patient as they will force you to wait a long time. Even if you don't pay extra to or for any of the above 4 processes, it will still be an unpleasant experience.

I have never had any problems with your 4 items. I just walked up the steps directly to the window with my e-Visa photocopy bypassing the medical fee desk altogether and no one has ever give me any problems.

As far as the touts are concerned I simply tell them to allow me to complete my paperwork alone before I discuss transportation into the town.

I have never had any difficulty with numbers three or four

Edited by Asiantravel