Add SSD to my laptop -- where, how much?

chado

I have lenovo carbon x1 laptop with 128 Gb SSD. I want to add one more SSD slot or buy a new, bigger one, at least 256 Gb.
I suppose I won't be able to install it myself because with SSD it's more difficult to deal than with, say, RAM and my laptop itself is quite thin which requires being careful.

If so, how much would that cost in total?

Also, I suppose it'd take 10 minutes to install it?

Edited by chado

You didn't give a specific model/part number but if your carbon X1 laptop is like the one shown in this Lenovo maintenance manual for a ThinkPad X1 carbon it going to take some major disassembly of your laptop to replace your current drive and it appears to have a M2 form factor SSD (i.e., looks more like a circuit board); not a regular form factor SSD.   Page 58 of the manual shows the drive.  This InvadeIT webpage will give you an idea of M2 form factor drive prices.  

Edited by Pib

Very simple job to do yourself: 

No major disassembly required.

Dependent on which generation, you may need to utilise an adapter;  https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Upgrading-the-SSD-on-the-X1-Carbon/ta-p/1170153

Either do it yourself or take it to an official Lenovo service centre.

Do it yourself ;)

Can't you just buy an external SSD that use USB interface and plug in?  If all you want to use the SSD for is memory and storage, this should work fine.  No need to go inside and replace anything.  500 Gbyte and even 1 TByte units are not expensive, are small and lightweight

On 12/26/2016 at 0:01 PM, gk10002000 said:

Can't you just buy an external SSD that use USB interface and plug in?  If all you want to use the SSD for is memory and storage, this should work fine.  No need to go inside and replace anything.  500 Gbyte and even 1 TByte units are not expensive, are small and lightweight

no, it's a bit different, the laptop is able to distinguish whether it's an external ssd or internal one. thus, something things will be different such as installing applications.

Edited by chado

50 minutes ago, chado said:

no, it's a bit different, the laptop is able to distinguish whether it's an external ssd or internal one. thus, something things will be different such as installing applications.

agreed.  depends on one's needs.  But I still thought you could assign it as a main drive.  best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Why on Earth would you want to neuter an SSD by plugging it into a USB port?

6 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Why on Earth would you want to neuter an SSD by plugging it into a USB port?

because it is an external storage device and unless you are transferring massive amounts of data all the time that is exactly how the SSD interfaces to the computer.  If used as a storage device it is the same as a thumb drive, only a lot more capacity.  And connecting it to a USB does not neuter it, that is the interface.  If you don't like it, then feel free to start unscrewing things

because it is an external storage device and unless you are transferring massive amounts of data all the time that is exactly how the SSD interfaces to the computer.  If used as a storage device it is the same as a thumb drive, only a lot more capacity.  And connecting it to a USB does not neuter it, that is the interface.  If you don't like it, then feel free to start unscrewing things

Of course it's neutured by the slow USB transfer speeds. You'd be better off buying a 1TB HDD for similar money as it would run at the same speed.

19 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

Of course it's neutured by the slow USB transfer speeds. You'd be better off buying a 1TB HDD for similar money as it would run at the same speed.

uh uh, that assumes that transfer speed is an issue, which for an external extra storage/archive  device usually is not an issue.  And even if you get an external HDD so what?  The OP wanted an SSD.  And even if you wanted to use an HDD, most are solid state and again, as an archive device usually use USB to connect.  Of course there are other ways to connect if you computer allows you to get inside.

A SSD in an external USB enclosure will be significantly slower than if the SSD is hooked up internally to the computer.  The USB interface is the choke point when it comes to "actual data throuhgput."     And if your USB interface is USB 3.0 BOT it will much slower than a USB 3.0 UASP interface.  A review of this ThaiVisa 2016 thread will give more info and real life speed examples.   

36 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

How about a 256GB USB drive with 420/380MB/s read/write for US$179.99 (~THB6500)?  

see:  http://www.tweaktown.com/news/55756/sandisk-launches-fastest-usb-drive/index.html

Keep in mind although above drive is advertised as a USB 3.1 Gen 1 drive (versus a faster Gen 2 drive).  USB 3.1 Gen 1 is just USB 3.0 renamed.

I know we are talking a Sandisk drive, but this Kingston site does a good job of explaining/showing the different USB specs.

https://www.kingston.com/en/usb/usb_30

SanDisk Site confirming the drive is a 3.1 Gen 1 drive.

https://www.sandisk.com/home/usb-flash/extremepro-usb