Things to see and do in Isaan?

penco

I've got a few days in Isaan next month, Udon Thani (1 night), Mukdahan (3 nights) and Nakhon Ratchasima (1 night). Can you give me ideas for things to see and do? I've been to Mukdahan before, so I've done the tower, Indochina market. Not been to Udon or Nakhon R before (though they're just whistlestops to break up a long journey). I was thinking maybe pop across to Savannakhet and then I can say I've been to Laos (I assume the GF's Isaan Lao language is sufficiently similar to actual Lao to enable us to get by?). Mukdahan Night Market?

I'm interested in stuff that I can do with the Thai GF and her 7 year old daughter in tow. Pretty views would be nice and I have a hire car, so I can get about.

By the way I live in UK, this is just part of a longer trip to Thailand, the rest of the time we'll be in BKK, Chiang Mai and Hua Hin (with whistlestops in Sukhothai and Phitsanulok).

Ideas gratefully would be very gratefully received. :-)

3 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

As a tourist destination, i'd not bother with Savannakhet. Not worth the visa fee IMO.
Nakhon Ratchasima Zoo however, is a nice afternoon out. Some big shopping malls there too AND lots of traffic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terminal 21 just opened with a FOODLAND.:shock1:

Here's an article on some things to do up in Issan:  http://factsanddetails.com/southeast-asia/Thailand/sub5_8j/entry-3524.html

I remember going to a cave, somewhere in Khon Kaen or Loui or thereabouts (a long time ago) where millions of bats flew out every night and many people gathered to watch.    But I can't find it online. 

Anyway, lots of national parks up there. As well as ruins and temples.

I always  enjoy driving around Issan. 
Lots of hard working people who don't have much money and many live the old fashioned way, making string  out of bamboo,  carrying their rice to a restaurant, eggs gathered by nets strung around chicken coops:   Memories! 

If you going from UT to mukdahan you could visit Lam pao dam in kalasin and the little lady will likely love the water. But like a beach but it's a dam. Nice spot to spend 3 hours relaxing. Avoid the rip off restaurants open nearby and get a picnic basket prepped. 

3 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

If you going from UT to mukdahan you could visit Lam pao dam in kalasin and the little lady will likely love the water. But like a beach but it's a dam. Nice spot to spend 3 hours relaxing. Avoid the rip off restaurants open nearby and get a picnic basket prepped. 

I agree, take the backroads (Hwy 2 > Hwy 2023 ) from Udon Thani to Somdet and along the way stop at the Lam Pao Dam, and also visit the Sirindhorn Dinosaur Museum. A Google search should give you the details for both.

This route is actually the shortest way to drive between Udon Thani and Mukdahan. 

Cheers!

Here's an article on some things to do up in Issan:  http://factsanddetails.com/southeast-asia/Thailand/sub5_8j/entry-3524.html

I remember going to a cave, somewhere in Khon Kaen or Loui or thereabouts (a long time ago) where millions of bats flew out every night and many people gathered to watch.    But I can't find it online. 

Anyway, lots of national parks up there. As well as ruins and temples.

I always  enjoy driving around Issan. 

Lots of hard working people who don't have much money and many live the old fashioned way, making string  out of bamboo,  carrying their rice to a restaurant, eggs gathered by nets strung around chicken coops:   Memories! 

Erawan Cave.. Loeie

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect