Dual nationality problem

My missus entered Thailand on her UK passport as her thai one was out of date, she has since renewed her thai passport.

We thought it would be a trip to the border and get the exit stamp in the UK passport and then reenter Thailand on the thai passport and job done. So last Wednesday we made the trip to my least favourite border Aranyapretet the sister in law wanted to do some shopping so we thought we would kill 2 birds with one stone, but she was told that she couldn't leave on one passport and come back on the other. As she didn't want to go to Cambodia we just left it and returned to Bangkok and went to Cheng Wattana the following day for an extension of her visa on the british passport.

Is there any land border where she could leave on the uk passport and return on the thai one?

I am ok until the end February when I get a month extension at the end of January and our plan was to fly to either Vietnam or Burma for a week for me to get a new visa then which would see us through to May when we have to go to the UK for a couple of weeks. As it stands it scuppers our plans slightly if we have to go out at the end of January as we would need four months worth of stay which would make me need a extra visa.

There must be an easy way out of this issue as there must be quite a lot of thai people with dual nationality.

2 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Bit late now but for future reference she could have entered Thailand on her expired Thai passport.

We did think about that but the thai passport had expired 8 or 9 years ago and we didn't want any problems.

7 minutes ago, steve187 said:

she can get a 1 year for being Thai

How do we go about this?  cheng wattana told her she could only get one extension on her visa exempt and only for one month if we could get another extension on this it would be really helpful.

We aren't married at the moment bit of a long story as she is still technically married to a uk citizen but they have been separated for over 20 years, he is currently filing for the divorce on the uk side as it will be quicker and easier than from this side. It should all be sorted when we are back in the uk in May and then we will marry when we return here in June.

She can apply for a one year extension as a returning Thai national. She just needs to show proof of her Thai nationality with any type of entry. See clause 2.23 of  Police Order 327/2557  basis for extension of sta.

She could also fly out and back to swap passports.  Leave on her UK passport and then enter on herThai passport. It is well known it cannot be done at a border crossing.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Bit late now but for future reference she could have entered Thailand on her expired Thai passport.

A part of that, why would she be denied to enter her Homecountry by using her Thai Passport , because she entered before with another PP?

Is there any law preventing a Thai citizen to enter Thailand because of Dual citizenship?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thetruth revealer said:

A part of that, why would she be denied to enter her Homecountry by using her Thai Passport , because she entered before with another PP?

Is there any law preventing a Thai citizen to enter Thailand because of Dual citizenship?

No

But if you are referring to her attempt to do a border hop to swap passports on entry to either country they want to see a departure stamp from the other country in the passport being used. If she had been at a smaller and less busy crossing she might of been able to do it since she is Thai.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

As she now has a valid Thai passport surely she can just ignore Immigration now - and if they come sniffing around tell them firmly "I'm Thai" !

She could do but we don't want any future issues with the uk passport.

30 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

She can apply for a one year extension as a returning Thai national. She just needs to show proof of her Thai nationality with any type of entry. See clause 2.23 of  Police Order 327/2557  basis for extension of sta.

She could also fly out and back to swap passports.  Leave on her UK passport and then enter on herThai passport. It is well known it cannot be done at a border crossing.

Thank you for that I shall print it of and get her to take it with her, will probably go to a different immigration office towards the end of her current extension as we will not be in Bangkok then.

I naively thought that it would be an easy process of going to the immigration at a border crossing and telling them what she intended to do, after all it isn't breaking any law and she just needed the exit stamp in the uk passport to clear that passport.

We will be flying out in February for  me to get another visa so we will do it then she just needed that extra month so the uk passport doesn't go into overstay.