What is the "stigma" about tank tops.

joeyg

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, tropo said:

Hey, what about the sleeveless T-shirt? It's the tank top's nearest cousin and even harder to pull off tastefully. You have to workout to pull it off otherwise your arms will look super skinny or extra fat. It's a nice option if you're feeling a bit shy and want to wear just a bit more material.:smile:

You mean like the woolly woofters playing Aussie rules wear?

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

You mean like the woolly woofters playing Aussie rules wear?

Kind of. The tops that Aussie rules guys wear I think of more as tank tops. I use similar for training, with a round neck:

Sleeveless 2.jpg

I was thinking of something more casual, like this:

Sleeveless 1.jpg

That absolutely doesn't work if you skip delt and arm training at the gym.

Edited by tropo

Kind of. The tops that Aussie rules guys wear I think of more as tank tops. I use similar for training, with a round neck:

586498b61ca90_Sleeveless2.jpg.2986618e0b62633d6dccb2f59e76fbb5.jpg

I was thinking of something more casual, like this:

5864991271446_Sleeveless1.jpg.48a30fc695a3b5e0fb07626952fb8d12.jpg

That absolutely doesn't work if you skip delt and arm training at the gym.

So i take it that's not you modelling it?
[emoji102]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

1 hour ago, tropo said:

LOL> no, my arms and shoulders are not that small... but sorry, I won't be posting personal photos.:smile:

The way you and joey have developed this "interesting thread" I would not be surprised to hear you traded a few "look at me" pics to one another via pm.

I think that the stigma about tank tops is a very simple one: a lot of people find the sight of hairy armpits disgusting. Hairy armpits are like the crack of your arse - nasty smelly things that are better hidden from sight. 

Also, in Thailand, the locals will treat you with disdain if you dress like a slob, which in turn makes your stay here less enjoyable. 

Edited by dbrenn

On 12/28/2016 at 11:39 AM, paulsingle said:

I do. Should I be ashamed? 

Mostly at home or for the beach.

I've popped into Tesco Lotus and Big C in a tank top. Is that very bad?

My shorts are above the knee - I guess that's pretty outrageous :(

At 59 I'm not sure if I'm old but I have trimmed the hair under my arms which hopefully mitigates the revulsion precipitated by my slobbish apparel.

"My shorts are above the knee - I guess that's pretty outrageous".  Yes, very, unless you are on the beach.

On 12/28/2016 at 6:55 PM, louse1953 said:

Get a bit closer possum and have wiff,we singlet/tank top/vest wearers have etiquette and put on deodorant and we have feelings too.Better than getting that sweat stain on the shirt.

It is not always to do with the smell, the less bare flesh on a man the better, I am only referring to looks here.

5 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I think a man should always wear long trousers when he goes out, if only for appearences sake, but each to his own.

I must always look bad then because I haven't worn long pants in Thailand (Pattaya) since the last cold spell - when was that? A couple of years ago? 2014 January?... perhaps 2 or 3 times in 10 years.

When I lived in Thailand in the 13th century, nobody wore clothes.... it was OK.  

Now it is insulting, disrespectful, and shames yourself, your family, your country, and can get you on twitter for endless ridicule!!  

if you don't care, you don't care, but the karma will ruin your life and the next 100 lives you have!!!!!

dressing inappropriately has ruined 23492387432984723 families as their kids look at the parents in absolute disgust.  

good luck, now buy my ebook you cretins... 

32 minutes ago, tropo said:

I must always look bad then because I haven't worn long pants in Thailand (Pattaya) since the last cold spell - when was that? A couple of years ago? 2014 January?... perhaps 2 or 3 times in 10 years.

Shorts on a man certainly does not look nice, but as I said, each to his own.

40 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Shorts on a man certainly does not look nice, but as I said, each to his own.

What you should have said is: "you do not think shorts look nice on men". That's your opinion, which I very strongly disagree with. Now you've taken it a step further and said "certainly" they do not look nice. 

If you can't look good in shorts, commiserations,  that's your problem. This is a tropical climate.

1 minute ago, tropo said:

What you should have said is: "you do not think shorts look nice on men". That's your opinion, which I very strongly disagree with. Now you've taken it a step further and said "certainly" they do not look nice. 

If you can't look good in shorts, commiserations,  that's your problem. This is a tropical climate.

I never have and never will criticise any man for wearing shorts, as I said each to his own, if you are on about "can't look good" in shorts, then I can assure you I am not over weight.

One more thing, before I first came to Thailand, I remember reading about things you should not do, and one of the things was, along with never touch a Thai childs head, was, never wear shorts when you go on a date with a Thai girl.

I respect your opinion, but you should respect mine also, so we will just agree to disagree :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I never have and never will criticise any man for wearing shorts, as I said each to his own, if you are on about "can't look good" in shorts, then I can assure you I am not over weight.

One more thing, before I first came to Thailand, I remember reading about things you should not do, and one of the things was, along with never touch a Thai childs head, was, never wear shorts when you go on a date with a Thai girl.

I respect your opinion, but you should respect mine also, so we will just agree to disagree :thumbsup:

I will respect your opinion, but they weren't stated as opinions, but certain facts. Obviously what people think of other peoples' dress is highly subjective.

Maybe, as a non-wearer of shorts, you don't understand there are many different types of shorts you can wear for different occasions. Beach shorts, gym shorts, casual shorts and smart casual shorts are all quite distinct, along with the footwear that you match them with.

Apart from that, I think I look very good in shorts. :smile:

Although I don't date Thai women, I would certainly wear shorts if I did.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

"Although I don't date Thai women, I would certainly wear shorts if I did".

Even if they were hi so?:giggle:

We're losing context here. I believe shorts have their place, but I always dress appropriately. For example, I didn't wear them to my wedding LOL... and wouldn't wear them to a funeral. You made the comment that men should never wear shorts as they NEVER look good. That's what I disagree with.

7 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I never said men should NEVER wear shorts, I said each to his own.

LOL> You should review what you said. I agree it is true that you didn't say men should not wear shorts.

What you were saying interprets as follows: Men don't ever look good in shorts, but if they want to look bad, that's their decision.