Kanchanaburi - eating, drinking, sleeping.

nisakiman

The wife and I will be in LOS in March, and after a couple of weeks with the outlaws in Ubon we fancied spending a few days in Kanchanaburi to have a look at the bridge, war graves etc. Neither of us have been there before, so any recommendations with regards places to stay, eat and drink would be most welcome.

Cheers! :smile:

Thanks guys. I'm actually fully au fait with all those sites, and I also searched the TV site for info before I posted. What I was actually looking for was some personal recommendations from people who either live there or are regular visitors there as to where the best (and by that I don't mean the fanciest or most expensive) places are to eat, drink and stay.

Thanks for the info. I think I'm a bit long in the tooth for the Jolly Frog, ageing hippy that I am notwithstanding! :)

I've been looking through the places on Agoda, and I'm rather torn between more modern places in town which are squeaky clean and have modern, well fitted bathrooms (but are rather sterile), and older, slightly run-down places on the river at the same price (about 750 Baht) with somewhat grungy bathrooms, but which are real old-style Thai and full of character.  In this particular case I've been looking at U Dee Room and Coffee (clean and modern) vs the best room on offer at Nita Raft House (a bit grotty, but literally on the river, and old Thai style). I asked my wife what she thought, and to my surprise she didn't immediately go for the more modern one, but like me was undecided.

Back in the late 60s / early 70s, when I was trawling round the Indian subcontinent and SE Asia, the only precondition for anywhere I stayed was that the price should be as close to zero as possible,  and I do have a fondness still for the more characterful places. (Although not, perhaps, quite as 'characterful' as some of the places I stayed in back then!).

I noticed the Noble Knight (Night?) on the Agoda site - I'll have a closer look at it. Thanks. Yes, eatery recommendations are always good, because once you've ordered, you are in the hands of the Gods! :) If someone else says it's good, then the odds of getting a decent meal are much improved.

Edited by nisakiman
typo

On 12/28/2016 at 7:04 PM, Megasin1 said:

I stayed at the Felix resort which was quite nice with a room overlooking the river.

+ 1

but the Felix is a ways outside of town and ye need transport to get around...OK if ye got a car...they got two swimming pools and the kids loved it...

The Noble Night GH is great, has a small swimming pool.

Many bars and restaurants in walking distance, some surprisingly elegant.

A short m/c tuk tuk ride to the bridge (100b) and you can phone the guy to pick you up when you're ready to return LOL

My go to place is the Tara B&B on the main tourist street.  They have another on the river I don't know about.   Room is great and there is a pool and last time I stayed about 700 Baht a night.  A nicer room than many at twice the price. Beds are amazing.  Good air, very clean and satellite with English channels.   I'm local and have used it when heat was off the charts for an escape.

I still use Jolly Frog as my go to eatery.   New management now, so some changes. Seem to be some new ones I have not tried yet.

On 12/28/2016 at 3:49 PM, nisakiman said:

Thanks guys. I'm actually fully au fait with all those sites, and I also searched the TV site for info before I posted. What I was actually looking for was some personal recommendations from people who either live there or are regular visitors there as to where the best (and by that I don't mean the fanciest or most expensive) places are to eat, drink and stay.

nisakiman, here is the nice and inexpensive place owned by English speaking Thai family, friends of mine. I have been visiting the guesthouse at least twice per year ever since 2012.

Thai Guesthouse, Kanchanaburi

Very private, clean and quiet. Room is only 600-700 baht per night, b/f not included. Hot water, A/C, Cable TV, fridge, free and strong Wi-Fi, free coffee and tea all day long. Walking distance from main street filled with restaurants and not far away from "the bridge" itself. Listed at booking dot com and Agoda.

GPS: 14.03302 , E 099.52243

getlstd-property-photo.jpg

20842599.jpg

Edited by BMW Overlander

I would highly recommend the Good Times Resort. It is right by the river and 3 clicks from the bridge. I stayed there twice while riding to Cambodia and on my return. Lovely staff, breakfast included in the restaurant by the river. I also ate dinner there one evening and watched the sky change colors. Swimming pool with fresh towels there for everybody...pool is not big, but perfect size for me. When I walked into reception in May in big heat and dripping after being on the motorbike, they handed me some nice cold water....I like initiative in people. I suggested Good Times to some older friends heading north from Phuket on a motorcycle trip, and they all loved the place. The museum is walk to the road and turn right and down the road, a nice walk. Bridge is to the road and turn left, and 3 clicks.....if it isn't hot, a nice walk. When I head north again I will return to this comfortable resort.

Oh great stuff! Thanks for the input my friends, plenty of food for thought there. I'll look at all those suggestions.

It's all very well reading the reviews on Agoda etc, but they're mostly written by people who have spent just two weeks of their lives (if that) in LOS, and have no real understanding of what they should expect or indeed, how the country works. Which is why I sought recommendations here, where most members are either living or spend a good deal of time in Thailand, and so are familiar with what they should be getting for their money.

4 hours ago, kenk24 said:

I am sure you will hit all the historical sights, but if you want a nature break, be sure to take the time to visit Erawan Waterfalls... 

Yes, the falls are on the agenda!

Thanks again to all.

20 minutes ago, nisakiman said:

Oh great stuff! Thanks for the input my friends, plenty of food for thought there. I'll look at all those suggestions.

It's all very well reading the reviews on Agoda etc, but they're mostly written by people who have spent just two weeks of their lives (if that) in LOS, and have no real understanding of what they should expect or indeed, how the country works. Which is why I sought recommendations here, where most members are either living or spend a good deal of time in Thailand, and so are familiar with what they should be getting for their money.

Yes, the falls are on the agenda!

Thanks again to all.

This topic will give you pretty good idea what places to visit in Kanchanaburi:

Kanchanaburi Adventures

Just keep away from the floating raft hotels. Lovely setting, food buffet style where we stayed with the kids (August) was ok.

Lots of people swimming off the rafts.

We did wonder how the toilets worked. Each room had a floating septic tank under the bathroom. They didn't look too efficient and I wondered how they pumped them out. I was to discover how they worked the next day.

Problem was after the overnight rain all the rafts were blocked full of human excrement that had floated down river from all the other hotels.

Guess this is how they have them emptied. Walking past huge piles of excrement on the way to breakfast is an experience I do not wish to repeat.

3 hours ago, BMW Overlander said:

This topic will give you pretty good idea what places to visit in Kanchanaburi:

Kanchanaburi Adventures

What a fantastic photo-journal! I thoroughly enjoyed looking through it.Thanks for posting that link. I envy you! Sadly we will be without personal transport, so our itinerary will be somewhat limited.

1 hour ago, grollies said:

Just keep away from the floating raft hotels. Lovely setting, food buffet style where we stayed with the kids (August) was ok.

Lots of people swimming off the rafts.

We did wonder how the toilets worked. Each room had a floating septic tank under the bathroom. They didn't look too efficient and I wondered how they pumped them out. I was to discover how they worked the next day.

Problem was after the overnight rain all the rafts were blocked full of human excrement that had floated down river from all the other hotels.

Guess this is how they have them emptied. Walking past huge piles of excrement on the way to breakfast is an experience I do not wish to repeat.

Aha! I hadn't thought about that aspect. Yes, worth keeping in mind...

The only real question is: do you want to stay near bars and restaurant or far from these activities ?

If you want to be able to walk to bars and restaurant stay at a hotel on the main road where is the bridge, or just across the river (where is Felix resort).

If you don't care to drive your car drunk or use a taxi to go back to your room, you can stay anywhere in the jungle, hundreds or resorts available.

11 hours ago, laislica said:

The Noble Night GH is great, has a small swimming pool.

Many bars and restaurants in walking distance, some surprisingly elegant.

A short m/c tuk tuk ride to the bridge (100b) and you can phone the guy to pick you up when you're ready to return LOL

If he cannot walk to the bridge from this hotel he should stay home...

The best food that you do not find everywhere in Thailand is ON VEGETARIAN RESTAURANT. One of the best and cheapest where I have ever eaten, with many dished never found anywhere else in Thailand.

It's also located on the main street where is the bridge.

Me & the Mrs stayed at " The Nine Guest house" it's on the main road, follow the road from the Bridge, the road bears to the left, and the place is on the LHS, opposite a 7/11 IIRC, Baht 850 inc breakfast, clean rooms, good air con, WIFI very strong, the little old lady who welcomed us was a real gem. Huge car park at the rear. Tel: 034671515. It has a coffee shop attached and is either a short stroll or Tuk Tuk ride away from all the bars & restaurants.

And Hellfire Pass is a must do, makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

DSC00437.JPG

DSC00438.JPG

DSC00444.JPG

DSC00440.JPG

Edited by Golden Triangle

On Thursday, December 29, 2016 at 6:26 PM, Kan Win said:

Jolly Frog for foind is my vote anyinday.

Win :passifier:

I'll endorse the  Jolly Frog for food Win...never had a bad meal there.

If It's not a weekend for your stay OP (party boats on weekends), the floating rooms are worth looking at, and  I've stayed at a few over the years.  The JF floating rooms are ordinary, at best, but there are others that are quite good.  Sorry, I can't recall names.

There Is a street of restaurants, parallel with the river, very noisy at night from partying bp's, so I'd suggest not staying too close to that.

Hellfire Pass, about 80 kms west of K'buri, Is well worth a visit, and If you're not driving/riding yourself, the Sangklaburi bus will drop you off and pick you up later In the day. If you do decide on HeIlfire Pass, do some research  beforehand, and  the museum, which Is great, has good brochures so you know what you're looking at, and walk along the railway bed to Hintok Road.  It's a fascinating, and unfortunately barbaric, chapter In WW2 history.

The privately owned museum opposite the main cemetery Is an absolute must see, the others just OK..

Edited by F4UCorsair
addition