Military impounds vehicles, seizes driving licenses of defiant drink-driving motorists

rooster59

I think it's a very fair statement to be critical or skeptical of past enforcement actions in this arena.. that said, I think that any concrete steps taken - however small they may be - is a good thing.

Enforcement will never be at 100%, but for me, any actionable steps they take that reduces the problem is one I support. In the end, even it means only one life is saved, that for me is still a good thing.

It does not disregard or seek to minimize the hundreds (or more) that do die from what intoxicated/under-influence driving, but only says that progress is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I always cringe when I hear the term drink driving. It's such bad English. I get drunk driving, that is driving drunk. But what is drink driving?  Driving in the form of a fluid?

In Oz it's called DUI.  Driving under the influence - booze/drugs/whatever.

I believe the breathalyser tests are multi-purpose now.   If you're over 0.05, it's demerits and a fine.  In Sweden there's no way but behind bars.

Judging by the size of the enormous (1000+) bar nearby, and car park to match, here in Chiang Mai, it would be a neat little earner if the B.i.B. dropped in around midnight.

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Is this happening nationwide or some small corner of the capital?

So how many of those 'honourable' military-men do you think indulge when behind the wheel while off-duty (or on-duty even)? I'd hazard a guess the ratio is no different with the general populace. For it to work, there needs to be a concerted effort where EVERYONE gets it in the neck ALL of the time, not a half-hearted effort to penalise the little man at certain times of the year.

Yes but at least they're making an effort.

Or do u want them to sit on their arse all day an play with their mobiles  just like the bib?

5 hours ago, impulse said:

Kudos to them.  Another few tens of thousands of drunk drivers to go...

Say what you want about military rule, they know how to deal with the "silver or lead" incentive program that keeps so many perpetrators on the streets.

Yes definitely Kudo's I bet they even surprised themselves. Just a little extra effort goes a long way now extend that over the full year with some strict fines and penalties and we are on the road to success. Please don't just be a 7 day wonder in all of this. Let the sweet smell of success permeate your body. 

Seriously...the police simply need to be disbanded and dismissed...they do absolutely  nothing to aid this nation...anything needing real effort/expertise/consequences invariably falls to the military...if I were an army officer or soldier, I would hold the lame police force in absolute contempt...

Good on the military for doing this BUT what are the RTP doing in the meantime? :whistling:

Perhaps lamenting the loss of some brown envelopes and sulking like little children?  Maybe a vast majority of the RTP should be assigned to "inactive duty" (which it seems that is what they are practicing)?

6 hours ago, impulse said:

Hey, they're human.  Even back home where the cops are militant about DWI enforcement,  it's not unusual for one of them to get caught out with a DWI charge on their off duty time.  DWI isn't the same kind of transgression as, for example, robbing a bank.  Serious?  Sure.  But I don't know anyone who deliberately sets out with the intention of driving home drunk as a skunk.

Ya cops got wise back home and catch people going to work the next day and still impaired from their night out.

2 hours ago, masuk said:

I believe the breathalyser tests are multi-purpose now.   If you're over 0.05, it's demerits and a fine.  In Sweden there's no way but behind bars.

Judging by the size of the enormous (1000+) bar nearby, and car park to match, here in Chiang Mai, it would be a neat little earner if the B.i.B. dropped in around midnight.

Man in Canada the cops will sit out side a bar or MADD (mothers against drunk driving ) would sit in a.parking lot and report you. Now a lot of bars have vans to take you home free but leave a good tip to the driver. If you foolish enough to drive you deserve what you get.

6 minutes ago, Beats56 said:

Ya cops got wise back home and catch people going to work the next day and still impaired from their night out.

Our cops sit a couple of hundred yards away from the bars for a few hours around closing time.  Most folks' BAC level has gone below the legal limit after a few hours of sleep.  Not so a hundred meters away from the bar.

8 hours ago, impulse said:

Kudos to them.  Another few tens of thousands of drunk drivers to go...

Say what you want about military rule, they know how to deal with the "silver or lead" incentive program that keeps so many perpetrators on the streets.

you have to wonder how the cops feel about the army cutting in on their action.

"The military has impounded 27 vehicles and seized driving licenses of 87 drivers",

so i suppose that means ,either the other 60 drivers were only a little bit drunk.given

a cup of coffee and sent on their way, or they ran of of parking spaces for the other

60 vehicles, is there any score on how the police are doing?

regards worgeordie

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

you have to wonder how the cops feel about the army cutting in on their action.

Good point, perhaps even concerned that there might be a 44 coming soon to remove their top layers, and install military officers to replace them.  I hope so.  

9 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Your day can only get better.

It is the description of driving under the influence of drink, but to cringe when you hear the term is a bit dramatic ?

I am with the OP.  Drink driving?  I can understand 'drunk' driving; driving while drunk.  'Drink' driving; driving while drinking.  Can you get arrested for drinking a soda while driving?

11 hours ago, daveAustin said:

So how many of those 'honourable' military-men do you think indulge when behind the wheel while off-duty (or on-duty even)? I'd hazard a guess the ratio is no different with the general populace. For it to work, there needs to be a concerted effort where EVERYONE gets it in the neck ALL of the time, not a half-hearted effort to penalise the little man at certain times of the year.

Yes, we are doing it lie that this time.  Honest Injun!!!!!

Shouldn't it be 87 vehicles impounded and 87 licenses confiscated...? Or did a special group make payouts to keep their vehicles....? 5555  Regardless...The numbers are up higher than last year already. Safety campaign is truly working.....Better than last year.

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

Good point, perhaps even concerned that there might be a 44 coming soon to remove their top layers, and install military officers to replace them.  I hope so.  

there must be something stopping them from doing this or it would have been done a long time ago. the army just seems to be taking over the cops duties and collecting the income. could be  a nasty power struggle.

19 hours ago, masuk said:

When I was in New Zealand, some years ago actually many years ago:sad:, the police set white Xes with crayong on the headlights of cars parked before a bar. Easy to stop and check these cars after closing time of the bars or is it pubs.

5 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

there must be something stopping them from doing this or it would have been done a long time ago. the army just seems to be taking over the cops duties and collecting the income. could be  a nasty power struggle.

One of the first things the army did was install a compliant and loyal police chief.

Indeed, as I have said on other threads, these military crackdowns all have one thing in common. They all feature lucrative areas of the grey economy. Thiese areas of the economy have a lot of undeclared, untaxed income and are monopolised by one group in one location. They tend to be low-tech but competition is suppressed by intimidation. Here are some examples.

Taxis and tuk-tuks

Public transport, songthaews, boats

Logging

Use of public land

Bars

Drug dealing

On 31/12/2016 at 10:57 AM, daveAustin said:

What leads you to believe that wearing a uniform causes a sudden increase in "honour"? Or would cause conscripts and enlisted men to suddenly act differently to their friends and neighbours?

Although the figures here for how many vehicles have been impounded are quite low in respect, this is a start..& further-more it's good to see the army doing what the police should have had the balls to do decades ago.

In some cases the law of this land NEEDS military rule..& next on their agenda should be speeding/bullying Fortuner-drivers!

8 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

I'm not going to say .... 'give a link'.

But I do ask you to please share some details or examples of the army 'collecting the income'.  

Edited by scorecard