Owning a larger boat in Thailand, need some answer please.

dagling

Can not find the right forum for this, so I put it in here.

I plan on buying a 40-50 foot in about 3 years, type of motor sailor, ie a boat that combines sailing and motor, as desired.

This kind of "sailboat" is planned to accommodate for more comfort and space than a typical sailboat.
The plan is and spend 1-2 years and stay in the boat, while traveling in Thailand and neighboring countries.

1. What laws apply to anchoring off an island, distance and number of days?
2. Are there many excellent marinas around in Thailand and what it costs per. days, or one must be a member and use the port?
3. What service harbors where one can get fixed problems?
4. Which insurance company can be recommended for the boat?
5. Do I need any certificates in Thailand / Asia, or other papers?

If any of you have experience of living and traveling around in a boat, it would have been nice and hear from you and your experiences.

large_1077166.jpg

I had one somewhat like the one in OP pix. Sailed much in the Carib and W-coast USA, was starting on round-the-world but my mat e jumped ship, boat was too big for single sailor and not easy to get good amenable partner. Sold out and came to Phuket, bought smaller boat here. Phuket is very good for what you have in mind, four major marinas here. What you are asking about is very feasible but needs far more than this forum talk. Come to Phuket or visit the Royal Varuna YC marina in Pattaya, easy to find sailors to talk to.

I cruised the world on my own trawler yacht

By the questions you ask you sound new to the idea, and if you do not have those answers, maybe you are too inexperienced to be doing it

I had a UK MCA Ticket Ocean Going, with commercial endorsement and valid to 150tns

I fixed and did a lot repairs myself, I cruised only with a wife of limited abilities

However this is not for the fainthearted, I started playing with boats when I was 10 and progressed to bigger boats, I cam ashore about 10 yrs ago when I was 62

Good luck enjoy, but it can be a painfully expensive experience if it does not work out, and this is the wrong part of the world to sell a boat

4 hours ago, al007 said:

I cruised the world on my own trawler yacht

By the questions you ask you sound new to the idea, and if you do not have those answers, maybe you are too inexperienced to be doing it

I had a UK MCA Ticket Ocean Going, with commercial endorsement and valid to 150tns

I fixed and did a lot repairs myself, I cruised only with a wife of limited abilities

However this is not for the fainthearted, I started playing with boats when I was 10 and progressed to bigger boats, I cam ashore about 10 yrs ago when I was 62

Good luck enjoy, but it can be a painfully expensive experience if it does not work out, and this is the wrong part of the world to sell a boat

He has 3 years to learn...

But actually I do not understand why the OP does not prefer to buy a yacht ?

He has 3 years to learn...

But actually I do not understand why the OP does not prefer to buy a yacht ?

Motor sailors are popular for several reasons.

They're far more economical to run than a yacht because you can use the wind rather than diesel fuel to propel the boat.

They're much quieter than a yacht when using the sails, and you eliminate all of those diesel fumes you would be inhaling.

There's a certain nostalgic that goes along with sailing...some folks just hate motor yachts, and they're often called "stinkpots"