Balcony door double glazing

prophet01

Have decided, at long last, to replace the original wooden framed balcony door unit to our bedroom over looking Rat-u-Thit as, due to warping and rotting, traffic noise and pedestrian chatter leak through like crazy.

My initial feeling is to go with uPVC sliders with a fixed top panel

Any recommendations from experience on style, local suppliers or any tips would be most appreciated.

balcony doors1.jpg

Do you actually mean uPVC? or Narrow style Aluminium which is very common in Thailand?

My views and experience with uPVC is that it expands with heat which f___ks  up the locking mechanism,  and the UV will cause the plastic to deteriorate...  

1 hour ago, prophet01 said:

Thanks Basil, good points to consider.

I'll discuss them with Nathan at PSD who I got hold of today after reading this thread of a few years ago.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/522561-double-glass-windows-with-pvc-frame/

He's coming to our place on Wednesday to take a look and discuss the work.

I'll provide an update for reference.

I have had double glazed windows fitted to two of our condos, both of which get the full afternoon sun everyday,

for the last 6+ years and have so far had no trouble with deterioration of plastic or any locking mechanisms, other

than a tenant who crossed the windows with the handle unstowed and broke it off.

We did have some small problems with water leaks after the initial installation and again this year with the heavy

rains, but all the leaks were external and were duly fixed for free by Nathans guys under their 10 year warranty so I

would highly recommend them for any glazing work you may require.

This is Nathans number if it's allowed, if not PM me and I will send to you.

0870617631 Nathan at PSD.

• 4 months later...

As promised, here's an update for those who might be searching TV for similar information.

The door unit was installed by Nathan's team some 4 months ago following his visit to survey the job, discuss, advise and provide a quotation.

5915b9c8cc1ce_uPVCdoor.thumb.jpg.c99873a851cb3fe7b59db825d83b6f32.jpg

Due to work contract commitments this has been my first opportunity to come back to see the finished product first hand and I'm pleased to say that I'm wholly satisfied with both the quality and, much more importantly, the massive reduction in street noise which was really the sole purpose of using double glazing.

In fact, the only time I now hear any traffic noise above the background of our room's air-con is when a particularly noisy, unbaffled motorbike, heavy lorry or dumb-ass tuc tuc blaring out music at high decibels drives by and even then it's heavily muted. Pure bliss.

Would recommend this solution to anyone with the same noise problem. Would also recommend Nathan and his team at PSD.

On 5/12/2017 at 8:48 PM, prophet01 said:

As promised, here's an update for those who might be searching TV for similar information.

The door unit was installed by Nathan's team some 4 months ago following his visit to survey the job, discuss, advise and provide a quotation.

5915b9c8cc1ce_uPVCdoor.thumb.jpg.c99873a851cb3fe7b59db825d83b6f32.jpg

Due to work contract commitments this has been my first opportunity to come back to see the finished product first hand and I'm pleased to say that I'm wholly satisfied with both the quality and, much more importantly, the massive reduction in street noise which was really the sole purpose of using double glazing.

In fact, the only time I now hear any traffic noise above the background of our room's air-con is when a particularly noisy, unbaffled motorbike, heavy lorry or dumb-ass tuc tuc blaring out music at high decibels drives by and even then it's heavily muted. Pure bliss.

Would recommend this solution to anyone with the same noise problem. Would also recommend Nathan and his team at PSD.

Looks great prophet.

Cheers PJ

Well pleased with the finished product, service and, most importantly, the noise reduction effect.

Thought we'd do away with the top window light so bricked up the area and skimmed it prior to reduced size door installation.

As you can see 'er indoors put up the curtain pole before painting the plaster.

Another job!

Archived