Starbucks with the wife every morning, 500
Petrol per day 250
Lunch/dinner 1500
Shopping clothes/ food /dog 500
bills and other expenses like the vet 250 per day

Something like that

Thanks, just glad l don't do the Starbucks thing and Mrs.Trans cooks...:stoner:

1 hour ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

One of the downsides of clearing away the street vendors in many places in Bangok is the difficulty of finding cut up fruit vendors. My lunch every day only costs me 20 to 30 baht when I can find one. Eggs on toast or muesli for breakfast - another cheap meal for the day. Am I up to 100 baht yet?

It's a *big* downside.  If they had enforced a clear walkway (not having to walk on the road) and some basic hygene standards that would have been more appropriate.  The cheap stalls are the mainstay of the lower end of the economy, giving locals and tourists a much easier time.  Forcing everyone into MacD's or KFC is not a good option.

12 minutes ago, Cook my sock said:

Maybe not as much as that, I reduced it to 3-

Petrol per day 200

Lunch/dinner 1500

Something like that. If I didn't live in central BK it would be a lot less

Nothing in there for house/condo, services, etc, etc?

3 minutes ago, Cook my sock said:

I bought, so condo costs are about 130-150 per day inc annual fee, other bills like vet/dental/car insurance are maybe 100? Just guessing

It's always a problem to compare cost of living when owning a home compared to renting.  Probably easiest to convert to a renting standard, so the question is, what would it cost to rent a condo like yours in the same location?

11 minutes ago, Cook my sock said:

You'd have to add around 20k a month minus the annual fee. So around 600-650 per day

Sounds about right - making a nice life in the centre of Bangkok worth about 3500 per day --- 105,000 per month -- £2,250 or US$3,000.  Obviously going to be considerably cheaper in less central areas and living as a single person.

1 hour ago, zorro1 said:

Brewing your own moonshine would come in well under that but I was actually referring to drinking outside the condo.

Drinking 4 bottles of Leo a day is not drinking lol

Home brew is illegal otherwise I would.As for drinking outside my condo well the house I live in has an awesome private pool, a nice frosty Leo goes down well whilst soaking my toes and last I looked there is 12 bottles in a box.

GBP1500 is curently about 65000THB - this will give you a reasonably comfortable lifestyle provided you have 2~3M THB as a backup for medical emergencies. Health insurance is a minefield as you get older - basically the insurance co's don't want to gove cover to anyone that might get sick - so they will price you out as you get older.

HOWEVER the 'elephant in the room' and the major threat to your financial situation is Brexit. The GBP has already collapsed by more than 15% over the last year just on the anticipation. Brexit has not yet happened and I don't think the full costs have yet been priced in. I think another 10% is easily possible upon an actual 'hard Brexit'. Add to that rising inflation in the UK of 3~4% and you'll have a further creeping devaluation of the GBP, year on year..  Over a few years you could be a lot worse off than when you started out.

6 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

GBP1500 is curently about 65000THB - this will give you a reasonably comfortable lifestyle provided you have 2~3M THB as a backup for medical emergencies. Health insurance is a minefield as you get older - basically the insurance co's don't want to gove cover to anyone that might get sick - so they will price you out as you get older.

HOWEVER the 'elephant in the room' and the major threat to your financial situation is Brexit. The GBP has already collapsed by more than 15% over the last year just on the anticipation. Brexit has not yet happened and I don't think the full costs have yet been priced in. I think another 10% is easily possible upon an actual 'hard Brexit'. Add to that rising inflation in the UK of 3~4% and you'll have a further creeping devaluation of the GBP, year on year..  Over a few years you could be a lot worse off than when you started out.

The internet is awash with "Expert Opinions" about what Brexit will actually do, but only a fool would believe any of them, given the remarkable failures to even predict the referendum result.  

The cost of healthcare is the biggest and most unpredictable aspect of living in Thailand.  The trick might be to accept the cost of smaller issues in healthcosts out of pocket and only insure for the bigger items, but you do need to read an awful lot of small print to make sure you really understand what you're paying premiums for.  Accepting a big deductible is one way of doing this.  There are several threads on this in ThaiVisaForums. 

1 hour ago, Cook my sock said:

Maybe not as much as that, I reduced it to 3-

Petrol per day 200

Lunch/dinner 1500

Something like that. If I didn't live in central BK it would be a lot less

That's a fair amount you giving  to Starbucks.  Awful company btw. About 10-12 years back after about 6-8 years in operation in the UK someone blew the whistle on their practice of keeping cold taps running continuously throughout the hours of operation. But besides that the coffee is awful. 500 baht a day on that stuff eh. Each to their own though.

As said, not factoring in how much it actually takes to get settled and sorted with transport (i would say scooter is a necessity)..... 66k is ok for a basic life  as a single bloke living in a small condo/ apartment...

If you meet a bird and get settled in a house , buy a car/truck...... (assuming no kids involved).... you would probably need more than that,...As for me, i am factoring in about 100 k if i want to stop working.... (excluding med insurance )...and thats living pretty basic, ... 

14 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

That's a fair amount you giving  to Starbucks.  Awful company btw. About 10-12 years back after about 6-8 years in operation in the UK someone blew the whistle on their practice of keeping cold taps running continuously throughout the hours of operation. But besides that the coffee is awful. 500 baht a day on that stuff eh. Each to their own though.

Incredibly daft stuff just to look cool....:sad:

2 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Visa cost is so minimal, that I barely consider it - transportation is discretionary spending and I was just listing my average fixed living expenses.. sure, I get a haircut every couple of months at 50 baht per... anything else you want to know? I will give you the phone number of my accountant... and since I was responding to Gary, I listed the expenses that he was discussing... but yes, electric and water and the bill from my accountant are actually the only bills I have, other than tax bills if you want to call it that... 

I have a retirement visa that yearly extensions cost 1,900 baht. My water bill is usually less than 60 baht per month. I have a small solar system that powers my computer room so my electric bill is usually less than 500 baht per month unless it is really hot and I run the air cons.Vehicle insurance and road taxes costs about 35,000 baht per year. I have a late model 4X4 truck and an older car plus two motorbikes. My wife's housekeeping budget is 30,000 baht per month. I pay the insurance and for big ticket items. She pays the utilities, Internet, food, all the household products and buys our clothes. She doesn't own a dress or use makeup. I wear shorts, sandals and T shirts so clothes are a small amount of money. I like gadgets and other toys that I don't really need but our living expenses are much less than my pensions. My condo maintenance is 600 baht per month or 10 baht per square meter. I am content.

1 minute ago, William Osborne said:

As said, not factoring in how much it actually takes to get settled and sorted with transport (i would say scooter is a necessity)..... 66k is ok for a basic life  as a single bloke living in a small condo/ apartment...

If you meet a bird and get settled in a house , buy a car/truck...... (assuming no kids involved).... you would probably need more than that,...As for me, i am factoring in about 100 k if i want to stop working.... (excluding med insurance )...and thats living pretty basic, ... 

Your bird plays cards...?

6 minutes ago, transam said:

Your bird plays cards...?

No mate.... but, this is Thailand , there is no safety net here if things go tits up !!...... you need some kind of financial cushion as you don't know whats going to happen.... not easy to return to home country once you have cut off roots..

48 minutes ago, jpinx said:

The internet is awash with "Expert Opinions" about what Brexit will actually do, but only a fool would believe any of them, given the remarkable failures to even predict the referendum result.  

Only a fool would not consider further devaluation of the GBP when considering a long-term future in Thailand funded by income in GBP.  The large devaluation in the GBP after the Brexit result is a fact and Brexit has not actually happened yet. I don't see anyone arguing against inflation rising to 3%+ for at least the next couple of years. Ditto UK public debt rising to GBP100bn by 2020 (Treasury's own estimate). 

I actually work in international trade and my employers would fire me if I wasn't assuming at least a 10% fall in GBP within two years. 

1 minute ago, William Osborne said:

No mate.... but, this is Thailand , there is no safety net here if things go tits up !!...... you need some kind of financial cushion as you don't know whats going to happen.... not easy to return to home country once you have cut off roots..

For sure, but some of us are rascals, USA was built on rascals way back then...

10 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

I actually work in international trade and my employers would fire me if I wasn't assuming at least a 10% fall in GBP within two years. 

That sounds like the same mentaility as "No one ever got sacked for choosing IBM" or "You can never go wrong implementing SAP". If your employers already "know" of a 10% fall in GBP why do they bother employing you?

Edited by SaintLouisBlues

Wow that took some reading - especially after a few red wines last night lol

I went to bed in 2016 thinking I would be OK and then in 2017 some scary numbers appeared - but it sounds like it is down to life style 

I do not worry about the effects of Brexit on the GBP as it is not in my control - please do not ask me to explain why but I believe it will bounce back over the next year or two (if the UK government actually get around to triggering it)

Thanks for all your thoughts - I will put out a message on the boards when I visit or relocate and will be happy to buy the beers but not the starbucks lol 

happy new year one and all Jonn 

8 minutes ago, JerryinTH said:

Central Bangkok, proper 2br condo will cost you 45k/mo + electric + water + internet. Sure you can go cheaper but the line between living and existing isn't exactly 'fine'. 

Seriously? I have friends living off Sathorn, and other living around Phra Kanong who are paying 30K for 110 sq metre 3-bedroom and 100 sq metre 2-bedroom

12 minutes ago, JerryinTH said:

Central Bangkok, proper 2br condo will cost you 45k/mo + electric + water + internet. Sure you can go cheaper but the line between living and existing isn't exactly 'fine'. 

I will not live in BKK - I am not looking for work so I do not need to live in city - but is this for expat living? I did not think locals would earn enough but I do not know much about Thailand yet 

2 minutes ago, jonn1 said:

I will not live in BKK - I am not looking for work so I do not need to live in city - but is this for expat living? I did not think locals would earn enough but I do not know much about Thailand yet 

The fringes of Bkk are much cheaper and still can be close to the Skytrain, Airport Link, etc.  What do you think "expat living" is?  Some locals are a lot better off than the expats around them. 

2 minutes ago, jpinx said:

The fringes of Bkk are much cheaper and still can be close to the Skytrain, Airport Link, etc.  What do you think "expat living" is?  Some locals are a lot better off than the expats around them. 

Sorry I meant expats working in BKK - people who have moved with work maybe - but it just seems a lot for an average price :shock1: