Transfer to CM from Swampy-Immigration

ChakaKhan

Hello Fellow TVrs

Im returning to Thailand before Trump gets sworn in and the states implodes.....but my question

would be im thinking of flying right up to CM instead of taking the train. I am set to arrive in

Swampy in the afternoon....if i buy a tix to CM for the same day would i AVOID a plane full of

300+ chinese folk and me trying to get thru BKK immigration?...Could i just transfer in swampy

and go thru IMMIG at CM with a smaller crowd on a domestic flight instead of shanghai international?

Hope this makes sense or am i doomed to deal with Bkk immig then transfer to my CM flight same day. :wai:

From what I remember, you can transfer but why the F they call that airport swampy remains anybody's guess. 

And who gave that idiotic name? Why not swoosh? Or suvapoo? Or supum? Every single one of these make more sense and sound better. The swoosh airport. Or goofie, which would refer to gold field, the original meaning. 

If you fly with the same airline from the USA to BKK as from BKK to CM you could check your luggage through and go through transit in BKK and end up at the international part of CM airport to go to customs.

Otherwise you need to go through customs in BKK. For a "domestic" flight you need to enter the country first.

Thanks for the 2 replies so far...sidenote all i bring is a CARRY ON bag so im

wondering if i could just transfer and do the customs/ immig in chiang mai?

I fly from shanghai--chinese airline and then jump on a NEW domestic flight.

Swampy is much easier than the real name lol and i hear thais call it Swannaphum

or even if i had to say it to a thai....kinda like Cennn,,Trallllll mall aka Central

I guess i have heard it called Swampy in the forums..or Swanna Phoom  :wai:

OP, I think you will find that anytime you change planes at swampy you go through immigration then complete your journey on a domestic flight. They even put the little stickers on you so you dont get lost, lol. The odd thing is your baggage usually ends up in the internatonal arrivals at Chaing mai, phuket etc, again thats why they put the little sticker on your chest.

42 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, I think you will find that anytime you change planes at swampy you go through immigration then complete your journey on a domestic flight. They even put the little stickers on you so you dont get lost, lol. The odd thing is your baggage usually ends up in the internatonal arrivals at Chaing mai, phuket etc, again thats why they put the little sticker on your chest.

You only get a sticker if you are in transit, not if you go through immigration

1 hour ago, ChakaKhan said:

Swampy is much easier than the real name lol and i hear thais call it Swannaphum

or even if i had to say it to a thai....kinda like Cennn,,Trallllll mall aka Central

As you don't fly with the same airline on both stages you will have to go through immigration in BKK

Suvarnabhumi is the official transliteration, but the pronunciation is close to Suwanna Phoom.....   what is funny is hearing the pilots who fly in multiple times a week.... mispronouncing the destination :P

Depends on the airline(s) you are using.

If their is an interline agreement between the 2 airlines then your BKK-CNX boarding pass can be issued at the start of your journey so you can transit airside even if you have checked baggage.

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/224-international-to-domestic-with-a-boarding-pass

Since you won't have checked baggage, even without an interline agreement you can still transit airside as long as the BKK-CNX airline has an airside transit counter (probably handled by THAI Airways).

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/1082-international-to-domestic-no-boarding-pass

In both the above scenarios you will clear Immigration and Customs at CNX.

7 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

From what I remember, you can transfer but why the F they call that airport swampy remains anybody's guess. 

And who gave that idiotic name? Why not swoosh? Or suvapoo? Or supum? Every single one of these make more sense and sound better. The swoosh airport. Or goofie, which would refer to gold field, the original meaning. 

Hmmmm. Treading on thin ice with this comment...... if you get my drift.

5 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Depends on the airline(s) you are using.

If their is an interline agreement between the 2 airlines then your BKK-CNX boarding pass can be issued at the start of your journey so you can transit airside even if you have checked baggage.

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/224-international-to-domestic-with-a-boarding-pass

Since you won't have checked baggage, even without an interline agreement you can still transit airside as long as the BKK-CNX airline has an airside transit counter (probably handled by THAI Airways).

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/1082-international-to-domestic-no-boarding-pass

In both the above scenarios you will clear Immigration and Customs at CNX.

Your information links state that in both cases the OP would clear Immigration and Customs at BKK, not CNX.  

1 minute ago, Diplomatico said:

Your information links state that in both cases the OP would clear Immigration and Customs at BKK, not CNX.  

It would be a very strange arrangement to land in BKK and allow you to go onto another airport domestically without clearing customs because that would make it impossible to fill any empty seats with domestic passengers.   Usually a domestic airline would have the international leg, clear customs/immigration then onto a domestic flight.  International airlines would land clear customs/immigration and then onto a domestic airlines flight with codeshare.  Never heard of a domestic hop without clearing customs and immigration first....  if that were the case they would just fly direct into the other airport.

9 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

It would be a very strange arrangement to land in BKK and allow you to go onto another airport domestically without clearing customs because that would make it impossible to fill any empty seats with domestic passengers.   Usually a domestic airline would have the international leg, clear customs/immigration then onto a domestic flight.  International airlines would land clear customs/immigration and then onto a domestic airlines flight with codeshare.  Never heard of a domestic hop without clearing customs and immigration first....  if that were the case they would just fly direct into the other airport.

Absolutely agree.  I've seen passengers clear Immigration/Customs departing from CNX (then go into the CIP designated throughways at BKK) but never have heard of anyone doing the reverse.  

Good info so far....and stupid me just realized the TWO different airports!!!

So of course i would have to go thru the hellish bkk immig on a flight from

shanghai, BUT as one posted stated maybe if i FLEW domestic from "Swampy"

and NOT DM i could maybe pull it off on a transfer---50-50 shot i suppose

even though it is SEPARATE airlines and not connect..my final dest is BKK

but will then jump on a domestic flight to CM..NO CHECKED bags as i only

bring a carry on...the fast track might work as well..thanks for the input :wai:

As far as the name i thinks its thais trouble saving V's ie ..wee-sa=visa

came across this in the archives..anyone done this..as it seems i might give

it a try when i hit Bkk from shanghai and then try to take a domestic to CM

pls note i have NO checked bags..just my carry on--think its possible as

i fear the dreaded bkk immig with a giant plane of pushy chinese and then

trying to make my connection to my flight to CM....after 24 hrs already..:wai:

10 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

came across this in the archives..anyone done this..as it seems i might give

it a try when i hit Bkk from shanghai and then try to take a domestic to CM

pls note i have NO checked bags..just my carry on--think its possible as

i fear the dreaded bkk immig with a giant plane of pushy chinese and then

trying to make my connection to my flight to CM....after 24 hrs already..:wai: