Minivan with completely bald tires stopped - but driver is allowed to carry on

webfact

Minivan with completely bald tires stopped - but driver is allowed to carry on

4aa.jpg

Picture: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- A minivan stopped on the Bang Na - Trat highway yesterday was found to have completely bald tires.

They were so worn down that the van could have had a blowout at any time.

But the police just let the driver go with a warning. The driver promised he would have them changed "tomorrow".

Police then advised him to drive slowly to avoid an accident.

Bang Pakong police had set up the checkpoint on the highway yesterday afternoon. They were checking minivans for overloading, speeding and roadworthiness. Passengers were being interviewed by officers about the behavior of drivers, reports Daily News.

This was all in the wake of the appalling accident on Monday that killed 25 when a minivan and pick-up collided and created a fireball in Chonburi.

Officers were shocked to see the state of 57 year old driver Sombat Sriwichai's completely bald tires.

His van was empty but he was on his way to Bangkok to pick up passengers.

They said he should change the tires because they were dangerous but let him go with a warning after he said he would change them tomorrow.

The officers then suggested that when he did pick up his passengers he should drive slowly so that if he did experience a blowout it would not be dangerous to the passengers.

Pictures of the checkpoint were posted on Facebook on the "Khon Khao Bang Pakong" page. The poster said:

"Share this - if you ever think you'll travel in a minivan again. These tires could explode at any minute. Police advised him to change them and he asked for a day to do it.

"Where is the safety in that?"

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-04

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a joke right?  Please tell me it's a joke, not even the Thai police could be such fools.  They vehicle should have immediately been slapped with a defect notice, put straight of the road and the driver fined for using a vehicle that doesn't comply with the standards of registration.  The defect notice can't be removed until everything is fixed and a roadworthy certificate obtained.

This is really beyond pathetic. Within days of that horrific accident killing 25 innocent souls. Do police here even think of the "potential" to loose face if that van gets into an accident today and kills more people?  This should be shared by everyone who has FB  and some follow up is in order. Or is this just another TIT story?  Everyone who has driven out of Bangkok has been on this very road several times.  

Edited by alex8912
Added sentence

43 minutes ago, Lingba said:

Maybe Thailand is trying real hard to break global road death records so the police don't want to interfere with the attempt

The target is just 26! One more at a time is the mai pen rai way..

i was sitting at an inspection station (Dtor Ror Or) waiting for my bike to get the certificate so i could renew the registration, there were cars and pick-ups being passed that had broken lights, bald tyres and belching smoke. Besides police not enforcing the laws there should also be inspections of the inspection centers, and heavy fines.

15 minutes ago, michaellee said:

Just avoid taking those maniac van you maybe safe on a big bus just Maybe!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Not according to the big bus that cut me off at full speed this morning while I was circling a rotary, he didn't even slowdown, let alone care that I was traveling in the rotary.

Edited by ocddave

2 hours ago, Thechook said:

Breaks are useless if there isn't anything to grip the road.  Can just hear his excuse now after he kills his passengers, "Not my fault, tyres were bald and blew out"

Or the tire explodes and he ends up at the incoming lane....just like happened some days ago resulting 25 deads.

7 minutes ago, DM07 said:

The problem of Thailands traffic, summed up in one short article! No one gives 2 hot 5h1ts!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

When I am sitting at a red light and a police officer on a big bike blows thru a red light, because he didn't want to wait, well that says it all. No one cares, not even the police, it's a "me first society", and they could care less about anyone else.

18 minutes ago, taichiplanet said:

i was sitting at an inspection station (Dtor Ror Or) waiting for my bike to get the certificate so i could renew the registration, there were cars and pick-ups being passed that had broken lights, bald tyres and belching smoke. Besides police not enforcing the laws there should also be inspections of the inspection centers, and heavy fines.

Corruption in action...the only system that works like clockwork and of the highest quality...

Any vehicle like that (worn brakes, lights out, ect) should be flagged out of service with driver/company fined and paying for a mobile mechanic repairing any issues on the spot before it can move again. If not, impound the vehicle.