Stricter driver theory test for candidates for driving licenses

webfact

I remember when i got my license in Canada,a long time ago.

It was a very short drive around the block and the theory was also easy.

i only got one speeding ticket ever and one for failing to make a complete stop at a stop sign.

You just abided by the rules because they were enforced,unlike here .

Everybody here seems to want to hang, draw and quarter offenders.
How about doing that to the Road Safety Council, which only raises its ugly head twice a year, Christmas-New Year and Song Kran, with threats about what is going to happen to people that don't really know any better.
Prevention: through education on TV, like we had in the UK 50 years ago.
Engineering: Road engineers should have their drawing boards broken and be obliged to attend a traffic engineering abroad.
Policing: shouldn't consist to 99% of collecting tea money, their activities should be preventing accidents, not encouraging people to carry on as before.
Suppression: this should come at the bottom of the list after all the above has been exhausted, and be exemplary. And of course not only be done but be seen to be done (Red Bull anyone).

If you know Thailand and like Thailand, you will know  that none of this is going to happen any time soon.
I for one am happy not to be driving down a particular road I know in Farangland with speed limits changing from 50K/h to 90K/h and back again about 10 times over a 10Km stretch, with speed cameras mounted at each point.

Yeah, damn nanny states back home, where far less accidents happen, but you are inconvenienced with "rules"! Vive le freedom ... to kill or get killed!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Also start with the motorbikes and superbikes. They act like musqitoes and think they are imortal when they sqeeze themselfs thru traffic.

Bus drivers. Taxi and Mini van driver all re-educate so the underdstand the way the act is not only dangerous also cause many trafic jams.

Then start to enforce the rules and make the lighting as they supposed to be.

Red and yellow at the back of the car and white and yellow at the front of the car ir bus or minivan or motorbike or supertbike or bike.

And in the thai soaps, quizes and other thing they love ot see put in educational traffic and first aid. 

Will stop a lot if accidents and safe lots of lifes.

10 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

Question 4 - Should I drive when I am tired or drunk ?

Answer      - In Thailand this does not matter.

Question 5 - What is the maximum number of people allowed in a minibus

Answer      - As many as you can fit in.

Question 6 - What is the maximum speed a minibus is allowed to drive

Answer      - How high does the speedo go.

Question 7 - Should I slow down in bad weather conditions

Answer      - Definitely not, you need to get there fast before you have an accident.

well, i'm one of the rare farlangs who came here w/out DL and took the theoretic test after 1 day (sanook-o-rama) of "lessons". the theoretical part is OK (theoretically, pun intended) IMO but the problem is that when u fail that part (like i did, yeah yeah) you can just do it again (and repeat if failed again). before you think i'm a total idiot, i had that day of THEORETIC lessons in thai language speaking ZERO Thai 555. anyway, after 2 tests (failing) i managed to answer ALL questions correctly. then i did my practical test (perfect) and got the DL ;-)

13 hours ago, cooked said:

Theory, not practice.

Yes, quite right. I sat at the Songkhla driver's exam driving course. The prospective drivers would line up to receive their cue to begin the driving circuit. The beginning is a 20 meter straight, the end of which is a stop sign; then, a left turn.  Only two of the 14 drivers I watched even stopped at the stop sign.

Back in the day when Thai Muang Golf Course was under construction the shaper boarded a bus on his day off and had to move to a rear seat on the same side as the driver because the driver was sitting barely on the edge of the driver seat and reaching the steering wheel and pedals sort of like one does when driving a golf cart from the passenger side. The shaper asked a Thai passenger about the driver's technique, whereupon the passenger said, "Oh it's okay, he is letting Buddha drive." True story.

A class room test ain't gonna fix beans. The mentality of all involved is the root cause. That same mentality undermines any possible value from any training and testing. P-&&-+g into the wind and the back end of a A380 gas turbine at full throttle.

6 hours ago, DM07 said:

Yeah, damn nanny states back home, where far less accidents happen, but you are inconvenienced with "rules"! Vive le freedom ... to kill or get killed!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You missed my point. This is what Thailand is about. Change this mentality and what we like about Thailand will disappear. Mind you when you start discussing driving in Thailand a lot of hate comes to the surface among certain people that want everything like back home which makes you wonder why they stay here in the first place.

18 hours ago, MadMuhummad said:

Bank accounts wouldn't matter I feel. We would just see an increase in unpaid fines.

Maybe starting road safety education in schools at a young age? And continue this until graduation, whenever that may be.

Granted it won't get through to all but if it could touch just a small percentage of all children maybe it would correlate to a drop in road fatalities.

Impound the vehicle until the fine is paid. They will cough up the money. Speeding fines via speed cameras would have to be chased more seriously. Some drivers rack up many bills and never pay them. No repercussions. 

9 hours ago, Autonuaq said:

Also start with the motorbikes and superbikes. They act like musqitoes and think they are imortal when they sqeeze themselfs thru traffic.

Bus drivers. Taxi and Mini van driver all re-educate so the underdstand the way the act is not only dangerous also cause many trafic jams.

Then start to enforce the rules and make the lighting as they supposed to be.

Red and yellow at the back of the car and white and yellow at the front of the car ir bus or minivan or motorbike or supertbike or bike.

And in the thai soaps, quizes and other thing they love ot see put in educational traffic and first aid. 

Will stop a lot if accidents and safe lots of lifes.

Fair to say you don't like blue lights then. Is there any alloted time in your what Thais must do itinerary so they can have there own life.

One extra hour of training might give more knowledge but it sure as hell will not improve driving skills one little bit.  As for the test; a short drive in a closed off area at low speed is not a driving test worthy of judging skills in traffic. 

29 minutes ago, raybal5 said:

One extra hour of training might give more knowledge but it sure as hell will not improve driving skills one little bit.  As for the test; a short drive in a closed off area at low speed is not a driving test worthy of judging skills in traffic. 

Rome wasn't built in a day.

2 hours ago, raybal5 said:

Could you please tell us all about what had to do for your practical test?

a couple of moves on the parking lot... but i went for motorcycle DL not car. the theoretical part is of course identical, the practical is not.

They need more then revamping their theory test. They need to learn driving tactics both offensive and defencesive. The need to learn driving courtesy. Which I do not believe they can learn. they need to print driving books so that maybe the ones that can read will.