PM vows to get tough especially with passenger vans within 3 months from now

webfact

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried everything?  How about police patrolling instead of those stupid check points.  How about proper training, pay and equipment for police.  How about serious penalty for violations.  Tried everything my ass.

Gotta larf. One last option. Fergodssake, use your section 44 to take control of the police and force them to do their job. Get them out there to patrol roads, stop drivers breaking the law, and have the balls to put offending drivers off the road right where you stop 'em! !

3 hours ago, webfact said:

the prime minister said that his government had exhausted all the means to reduce the accidents and the resulting fatalities

A classic demonstration of the lack of out of the box thinking. The same measures year after year, which never work.

I don't need to provide an exhaustive list of measures the Government could take in order to reduce the country's horrendous accident/death rate, as this has been provided many times on many threads by many TV readers. 

The accident rate will continue until a drastic change in thinking, law enforcement and punishment is introduced.

Thai's put less value on their lives than westerners do.As some above have said this is not a prioriry to them.If 10% of the drivers think they are above the law and minor consequences,nothing will change.Impound vehicles of drunks for a start.If people stop using mini vans,who are the main culprits,things will change within a week.The Pm can only make laws,as many have said,those laws should be enforced,and there lies the ingrain problem.

Selfish drivers pushing me out of my lane,nearly causing a head on is truly the only thing i don't like about Thailand,everything else is under my control,suicidal drivers are not.I stay home at NY and go os at Songkran.And never ever go in a mini van.

4 hours ago, kannot said:

You mean like   promising to change that bald tyre  tomorrow  but I have to go now  officer as I have 20  passengers to cram into my 13  capacity max      "minideathvan /mobile crematorium"

What is this extraordinary Thai attitude of "We will do something about this urgent problem - but not just yet" Why do they have to wait 3 months before starting whatever they plan?

3 hours ago, Credo said:

I firmly believe that the Thai police and gov't don't really mind the carnage on the roads.   I have never seen anything that even remotely resembles an attempt to reduce it, other than rhetoric, and a few new laws, regulations and crackdowns.

I traveled at least 3 times a week to various provinces for work.   I seldom drove the speed limit, but I didn't drive particularly fast.   Most of the time, the faster moving traffic was moving really, really fast.   Combine that extreme speed with the number of overloaded, slow moving trucks and the various motorcycles and a recipe for disaster exists.   Seldom did I see a police officer actually patrolling.   

In most Western countries, people do tend to take safe driving a little more seriously, but the majority of people drive safely because they do not want to get caught, get a ticket and pay a fine.   These are almost always issued while the person is moving; not while waiting to get through a checkpoint, where you are likely to get nailed for outdated tags or some other nonsense that has little to do with safety.

Until the police are on the roads, patrolling and looking for dangerous drivers, we are all at risk.   

20 police officers sitting under an overhang taking turns stopping cars will prevent nothing as far as accident are concerned.   

Introducing Log Books is a must but also must be in conjunction with a hub metre or tachograph.

The police must enforce this.

Another good move would be a reduction in the speed limit and speed cameras even though I hate them they are needed here .

Thais  take no notice of speed limits and do not know road rules they are lunatics at round abouts.

A national campaign on TV is needed to shame them into behaving but I don't know if it would do any good as they believe if the die they will be back in 3 months.

Driving here is defensive , that's how a safe driver must drive here.

3 hours ago, sebastion said:

3 months is enough time for people to forget that tragedy. Then business as usual.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

There will be plenty more tragedies before the time is up. And the PM will be to blame for all of them due to his inaction now.

Seeing the police have had their money flow interrupted and curtailed by the Army,maybe this disobediance is a way to make the Army and PM look ineffectual.Isn't this what brought on the coup,police unwilling to do their job.These two are the major players in this country and there will always be a power struggle.Army will always win,but at what cost.

Just now, Farang99 said:

What is this extraordinary Thai attitude of "We will do something about this urgent problem - but not just yet" Why do they have to wait 3 months before starting whatever they plan?

You misread it.3 months,starting now.leading up to Songkran.

3 hours ago, Credo said:

I firmly believe that the Thai police and gov't don't really mind the carnage on the roads.   I have never seen anything that even remotely resembles an attempt to reduce it, other than rhetoric, and a few new laws, regulations and crackdowns.

I traveled at least 3 times a week to various provinces for work.   I seldom drove the speed limit, but I didn't drive particularly fast.   Most of the time, the faster moving traffic was moving really, really fast.   Combine that extreme speed with the number of overloaded, slow moving trucks and the various motorcycles and a recipe for disaster exists.   Seldom did I see a police officer actually patrolling.   

In most Western countries, people do tend to take safe driving a little more seriously, but the majority of people drive safely because they do not want to get caught, get a ticket and pay a fine.   These are almost always issued while the person is moving; not while waiting to get through a checkpoint, where you are likely to get nailed for outdated tags or some other nonsense that has little to do with safety.

Until the police are on the roads, patrolling and looking for dangerous drivers, we are all at risk.   

20 police officers sitting under an overhang taking turns stopping cars will prevent nothing as far as accident are concerned.   

You are so right. In all my years in Thailand I have never seen police even near a road when its raining. It's like a Catch22. Best time for non caring licensed or unlicensed so called drivers to rip around the roads as there are no police to govern the traffic. We are in S.E. Asis and this country will never catch up to the road rules that most of the Western World enforces. Put speed governors on every single moving violation in this country and.... oh I think I've said enough 

My grain of salt to the issue for H.E. The Prime Minister:

- clean the bloody police force out first
- faulty vehicles to be impounded and repaired by government assigned garages upon pre-payment of vehicle owner, government surcharge being 10%
- driver undergoes a 20 hours mandatory driving and safety course

If repeated, vehicle destroyed and driver seeing the slammer from the inside for a month; banned from driving for - say - two years after which he undergoes the 20 hours mandatory driving and safety course

Simple as that, making the rounds VERY fast; the key issue will be to get those boys in brown out as they are actually running the road shows

4 hours ago, kannot said:

Not "20 years"?? surely  some mistake?

Lets place bets for the 3  month  "Songkran  Special Death" toll

Driver  arrives checkpoint, book says started at 11am current time is 10 am yeah thatll fool em...".I  havent been not driving for not  one  hour officer"

Pathetic.can the drivers even write? and can the Police even read?

"This govt has exhausted all mean" ..........FERKIN PATHETIC    -1/10 of  course if  each driver displayed a "  I hate the King"  sticker I bet action would be taken then eh

Why wait 3 months do something now  before it happens again 

must be something wrong with my computer. all I can read in the dear generals quotes are "blah blah blah.....blah blah blah". they'll have a crackdown this week and next week things will be back to normal IE more tea money for the police, you pick up passengers now and drive slow and change bald tyres tomorrow, etc etc

36 minutes ago, Farang99 said:

Lets face it. Until it's personal who is going to lay out money on the table

a totally enclosed sealed speed limiter is needed and mobile inspectors needed to randomly inspect it, also speed check random vehicles by following, customers concerns should be logged and if a certain driver gets three reports there should be a three strikes and your out system (or something along those lines)

or better still get back the government bus services

Edited by dieseldave1951

Logbooks can be easily falsified, I'm sure that with today's technology something like a touchscreen device with thumbprint login which shows start time,distance traveled and speed could easily be implemented, then all the BIB need to do is have the driver log in.

A special (more difficult driving test) for PSV drivers, and a separate PSV driving licence might also help.

Don't pass PSV driving test, don't get PSV driving licence. Not allowed to drive PSV vehicles.

Will never happen.